Piper Jaffray addresses 12 more 'unanswered Apple questions'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

If Apple wanted to offer a lower priced iPhone, the best way would be to introduce smaller capacity models.

Apple already did that--and it didn't do well. The higher capacity iPhones sold much, much better than the lower capacity, cheaper iPhones. People seem to buy the highest capacity, even if they won't use it. The lower capacity iPod Nanos were never great sellers, either.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Agreed.

I think AAPL is a pretty good buy right now, at $90, but it'll be a looong time before the stock sees the north side of $150 again, much less $250. If Munster's price target is supposed to happen in the next 12-18 months, he is on some especially potent variety of crack. The worldwide recession is going to last at least that long.

But if you're a buy-and-hold investor, it's kinda like 'So what if it takes awhile for the stock to come back'. There's lots of nice blue chip stocks 'on sale' right now at valuations that haven't been seen in years. And even if you don't believe that their stock prices are going to move much anytime soon, some of them are offering some pretty darn good dividends, in the 5-6% range.

i wouldn't say A LONG TIME until $150. $250 might be a stretch. but estimates say that the current downturn should slow or end around mid 2009. Assuming that is correct, the stock market will pick up even before then so I don't' think one has to wait that long. Stock can surge quick. Look at how quickly Apple fell and rise in the charts. To go from 90-150 is not that hard to reach. And how long do recessions generally last? 1 year or so.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post

Apple does have iPhone-specific gift cards available (at least in U.S. retail stores) for the exact purchase price of the iPhone 3G.

I hope they promote the heck out of them so people understand that it *is* simple to give an iPhone (gift card) this Christmas.

(It would be really great if you could buy an iPhone at full-price and be reimbursed once you activate it via iTunes. Then customers could give a physical phone instead of a gift card.)

If i give my friend an iphone how do I know he/she wants to pay $80 a month? How about giving a regular gift card instead for the entire apple store. that seems a better idea so that people can use their gift.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bertyao View Post

Stock can surge quick. Look at how quickly Apple fell and rise in the charts. To go from 90-150 is not that hard to reach. And how long do recessions generally last? 1 year or so.

Except that this is going to be a really, really bad recession, by most indications. Probably on the scale of the 1973-75 recession, or 1981-1982.

Both of those lasted a long time too... about 16 months each, which is double what a typical recession lasts.

The 'we're going to be fine by mid-2009' crowd is whistling past the graveyard. One major problem is that exports have been a bright spot for the US, but now it's apparent that the recession is going to be worldwide, so demand for our exports is going to slow. Pile that on top of the mountain of other bad news.

If you're waiting for AAPL to skyrocket, you'll be waiting awhile. That said, I'd think long-term and buy it up at its current price of $90. It could still drop from there in the short-term (it was at 80 just last week), but probably not a huge amount, and in this market you should think long-term anyway.

• Reply 25 of 39
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster on Tuesday issued one of his trademark reports to address a number 'unanswered questions surrounding the Apple story,' such as when the company plans to next update its iPhone and the prospects for an Apple netbook.

How about a "trademark report" on how often Piper Jaffray is WRONG vs. how often they're RIGHT? That might lend some credibility to their ability to answer "questions surrounding the Apple story".
  • Reply 26 of 39
    As usual the analysts have got the wrong end of the stick. They forget that Apple and especially Mr. Jobs concentrate on the Mac user experience and then build the machine around that. So they should ask themselves are the Mac type people ready.

I believe that the main concern in the CEO's office is to do with Time Machine and the fact that the stars go counter to the experience of travelling through time. If you are unfamiliar, imagine a space ship hurtling through space. Time machine gives a similar view but it should look to the rear rather than giving a forward view. At the heart is the direction of the star's movement. It should be reversed (go away from the user).
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Will Apple release the iPhone in China?

We continue to believe Apple will launch the iPhone with one or two carriers in China in CY09, adding either China Mobile (550m subs) and/or China Unicom (128m subs). The company has indicated that it remains focused on launching the iPhone in China, but several hurdles remain. The dust has not yet settled in China regarding the licensing of the 3G networks among the major carriers. We expect the Chinese government to make announcements on the licensing within the next 1-2 months (possibly sooner). In addition, the inclusion of Wi-Fi in the iPhone may be a limiting factor in China. For example, Apple does not yet sell its iPod touch in China possibly due to the inclusion of Wi-Fi. Apple could solve this issue by creating a version of the iPhone software that disables the Wi-Fi features in the Chinese models.

While the subscriber numbers for the carriers and notes about 3G roll-out are mostly correct, the rest of comments on the China market are misleading to wrong.

The iPod touch with Wi-Fi is not only widely available at authorized resellers but also at Apple's own store in Sanlitun.

The "restriction" on Wi-Fi in phones is being largely misrepresented: Wi-Fi-capable phones are widely and legally available for purchase but NOT from China Mobile and China Unicom stores - as the majority of consumers do not purchase from these outlets, it's something of a non-issue unless it's a situation in which the carrier is subsidizing the purchase price.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by valanchan View Post

I believe that the main concern in the CEO's office is to do with Time Machine and the fact that the stars go counter to the experience of travelling through time. If you are unfamiliar, imagine a space ship hurtling through space. Time machine gives a similar view but it should look to the rear rather than giving a forward view. At the heart is the direction of the star's movement. It should be reversed (go away from the user).

Hahem. The "Star" you mention is supposed to be the Big Bang, which is clearly the past. The start of it all, if you get the grip, the moment of "creation", the big fucking alleluiah miracle point on your life, an epiphany, one might say, of having gone to the mac store and bought a mac. It's not counter-intuitive. It's too woooow for me, I like that thing inside a good sci-fi movie, but to deal with this wowoo everyday gets annoying. I like to work inside a computer, not inside a computer game.

But hey, just ranting a bit.

I also don't think they'll build that 800-1000 sub notebook. Analysts have been calling Apple to do just that for years, and they'll keep up doing it because they can't think about people, they only care about markets and numbers, and think "there's a niche in here", when they should really think "is this niche worthy of anything?", which is Apple's mentality. When you switch these mentalities, it's obvious why Apple hasn't chosen to do what these crackpot thinkers think Apple should do.

And that's great. Just ask Dell if their advices worked or not.

In the iPhone thematic, I think we'll see an upgrade, not a downgrade of iPhone. The comment about having an iPhone of 2 GB is so dauntingly stupid that my head is spinning. Should I remind the moron sir who wrote it on how ghastly the 4GB iPhone sold? Apple doesn't sell cheap dell idiocies. Get around that fact and stop regurgitating white noise, please.

The iPhone I think will have some overhauls in 2009, the 8GB model will be of course cheaper, but perhaps we'll see a camera that is able to film movies, integrate it easily in the interface with iMovie, post them directly from iPhone to YouTube and others with free apps. That's the main thing missing in it. It will take 2010-11 or so to make another camera directed to the viewer so calls can be made in video-conferencing. I'll say 2015-16 till we reach holograms Star Wars like. Add to it 256GB of flash, the hability to cook and shave and I'm sold.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

In the iPhone thematic, I think we'll see an upgrade, not a downgrade of iPhone. The comment about having an iPhone of 2 GB is so dauntingly stupid that my head is spinning. Should I remind the moron sir who wrote it on how ghastly the 4GB iPhone sold? Apple doesn't sell cheap dell idiocies. Get around that fact and stop regurgitating white noise, please.

The single most expensive component in an 8GB iPhone 3G is the 8Gbyte NAND Flash Memory.

Many iPhone users use less than 1GB of storage on their iPhone.

The 4GB iPhone did not sell well because the first generation iPhone was primarily purchased by gadget freaks and early adopters who want the latest and GREATEST.

When Apple started subsidizing the phone and targeting the larger consumer market they got rid of the 4GB model because they wanted to maximize profits. These are not gadget freaks, many just want the iPhone because it is the hot device. These are the people who never use more than 1GB.

The difference is today Apple has sold iPhones to almost everyone that is willing to pay $200+ for an iPhone. A year and a half ago there wasn't any phone on the market that came close to the iPhone. Today there are many cheaper alternatives that appear to do what the iPhone does.

A 4GB iPhone 3G could do everything a 16GB iPhone 3G can...so your argument that it is somehow cheap/inferior is invalid. There is a market segment that doesn't need that much capacity but wants that much functionality.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

The single most expensive component in an 8GB iPhone 3G is the 8Gbyte NAND Flash Memory.

Is that still expensive? I don't know what kind is in memory cards, but I bought 16GB class 6 SDHC card for $30, actually, I bought a small stack of them. And it seems to be far faster than whatever the heck is in the iPhone.

Quote:

A 4GB iPhone 3G could do everything a 16GB iPhone 3G can...so your argument that it is somehow cheap/inferior is invalid. There is a market segment that doesn't need that much capacity but wants that much functionality.

It is still kind of being cheap, I don't think a 4GB model really would save Apple enough money to drop the price any, and the rest of the phone is still just as expensive to make unless they use the Touch's old cheaper display.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Additionally, an 11" MB Air doesn't seem like it'd be as portable as a netbook... most of those have 9" screens.

Most of the problem with the netbooks are:

- small keyboard/screen

- poor performance with a full OS

- and AFAIC, the chipset (945-based) is not on par with the specs of the cpu, until Intel releases a new chipset with thermal ratings on par with the dual-core Atom cpu, those netbooks will not be "all they can be".

To get a full keyboard + trackpad and a reasonably sized display, you have to go to 11" for the display (enough width and depth).

I don't think Apple should release a 11" MBA either: the small package/low power components of an MBA are expensive.

Since the 13" MB now starts at $1299, it would be nice to have a smaller/less expensive MacBook: 11" MacBook or MacBook mini: enclosure cut flush to the sides of the current keyboard (11.25/11.50"), the depth to accomodate a 11" display (about 7.25/7.50"), same motherboard as the 13" MB, remove the optical drive and move the 2.5" HDD to this space), wider but thinner battery.

Current 13" MB footprint: 12.78x8.94=114.25, weight: 4.5 lbs

11" MacBook mini foot print: 11.50*7.50=86.25, weight: probably 3.4 lbs (75%)

As the 13" MB gets updated (probably next spring) to 2.26/2.53GHz cpus (or better), give the "leftovers" to the 11" MB mini:

$799 11" MB mini, DC 2.00GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, nvidia 9400m chipset

$999 11" MB mini, DC 2.40GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, nvidia 9400m chipset
  • Reply 32 of 39
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

The comment about having an iPhone of 2 GB is so dauntingly stupid that my head is spinning. Should I remind the moron sir who wrote it on how ghastly the 4GB iPhone sold? Apple doesn't sell cheap dell idiocies. Get around that fact and stop regurgitating white noise, please.

Wow. I'm not Johnny Mozarella (the one who made the 2GB comment), but I'm amazed at the rudeness and name-calling contained in Luis' comments. Does that really impress anyone beyond the age of 16 or so, or does it just make the poster using such tactics look bad? \

I'm very impressed that Johnny replied without insulting back... not sure I would've had that degree of patience. Kudos to him on that.

• Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:

Many people don't want to leave Verizon but they do want an iPhone.

This way they can keep a basic Verizon phone for voice calls and do all their email/web/GPS/apps stuff on their iPod Touch 3G.

you use wifi for the internet.

i'm sorry that Verizon was too stupid to take up the chance to have the iphone exclusively for several years but they were. they had the chance and they didn't think the arrangement would be profitable enough.

You want an iphone, then right now you go ATT. unless you support breaking the law (and yes currently unlocking the phone is illegal).
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post

(It would be really great if you could buy an iPhone at full-price and be reimbursed once you activate it via iTunes. Then customers could give a physical phone instead of a gift card.)

they used to let folks walk out with a phone and trusted them to activate it.

many of them didn't. they unlocked it etc.

thus the need for the activation at time of purchase.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bertyao View Post

If i give my friend an iphone how do I know he/she wants to pay $80 a month?

you don't and it doesn't matter. pretty much every state says that you can't sign a contract for someone else. so you can't activate service unless you want to be the one responsible for making sure it is paid (and thus it is your credit any deposits are based on and your credit that is hosed if your friend doesn't pay on time)

Quote:

How about giving a regular gift card instead for the entire apple store. that seems a better idea so that people can use their gift.

it is a regular gift card. it is just branded 'iphone 3g' to make it prettier than just a plain card. but it works on anything. well not the itunes store but you can use a store gift card to buy those if that's what you want.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

unless you support breaking the law (and yes currently unlocking the phone is illegal).

No it isn't.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

No it isn't.

Well, imagine voiding your warranty by unlocking your iPhone, and you still have most of the 2 year AT&T contract to fulfill. Not a place that I'd want to be.

A guy I know here has the 4 GB model that he bought last year on the first day that the iPhone hit the market. He says that 4 gigs works very well for him. BTW, he went to Italy last Fall, he loaded the Godfather trilogy on his 4 gigger. Many folks just don't need a large capacity on their iPhone. On the other side of that, some folks would never have enough room. How much room do you really need on a cell phone? Notice I didn't ask how much you wanted.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Well, imagine voiding your warranty by unlocking your iPhone, and you still have most of the 2 year AT&T contract to fulfill. Not a place that I'd want to be.

A guy I know here has the 4 GB model that he bought last year on the first day that the iPhone hit the market. He says that 4 gigs works very well for him. BTW, he went to Italy last Fall, he loaded the Godfather trilogy on his 4 gigger. Many folks just don't need a large capacity on their iPhone. On the other side of that, some folks would never have enough room. How much room do you really need on a cell phone? Notice I didn't ask how much you wanted.

Those are very different issues from what I was responding to in the post you quoted. I wonder if your thought train is derailing.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Those are very different issues from what I was responding to in the post you quoted. I wonder if your thought train is derailing.

Not really, just a comment about unlocking, that can have issues beyond whether or not it's legal.

The rest was an admitted aside from your post, but fits in with the original topic about iPhone questions. I just put it all in one post, as I came in to the thread late.