Finder at 130% of CPU, stealing focus

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have several problems with my MacBook that I'm beginning to see are probably related.

It started when I was giving a presentation with keynote, and suddenly, in front of 50 people, my presentation disappeared. There was a green arrow over keynote in the dock, and when I clicked it the presentation started again. It appears that finder stole focus from keynote somehow and forced it to minimize.

Secondly, I have noticed that while typing, suddenly my cursor is gone and focus has gone to the desktop instead of pages. Also, while viewing a DVD, DVDplayer will leave full screen mode and the focus will be on the desktop. Again it appears that Finder is stealing focus.

I've also noticed that my fan is almost constantly running. I started keeping activity monitor open in an attempt to diagnose, and noticed that Finder is consistently running at 130% CPU (how is that possible?

If I relaunch finder, *sometimes* it will quiet down to between 0 and 1% and the fan will stop running. Most times, however, it just pops back up to well over 120-130% CPU

I have no idea what to do. I haven't tried an archive and install yet, and I'm not sure that would solve anything anyway.

Any ideas? I need help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    someone else had similar issues with the Finder and they said it turned out to be Gmail Notifier causing issues.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

someone else had similar issues with the Finder and they said it turned out to be Gmail Notifier causing issues.

uh...yeah... that would have been... me Turns out I was wrong.

(Mr. Waturi: "If I said that... I would have been wrong!")