UK VAT decrease = cheaper Apple Store?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
So if you haven't heard yet, VAT in the UK is going down 2.5% to 15% from 1 December. Since most shops (Apple Store included) have all their prices set to a nice round number, are they really going to bother changing their prices, or just enjoy the extra revenue?

So the question is, do you think Apple will bother cutting prices from 1 December so that:

MacBook Air WAS £1,299, NOW £1271.36

Mac Mini WAS £399, NOW £390.51

Apple Mini DVI to DVI Adapter WAS £15, NOW £14.68

I doubt they will (knowing Apple)... What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    The UK vat decrease is complete bollocks. Its a stupid scam. It wont work. And will leave everyone with a huge pile of debt - except the people being bailed out.

There will be lots of dec 1st promotions to give the gullible person the impression that prices are less expensive, which might be technicallly true - but at the end of the day, companies are well versed in the art of making us believe the complete opposite of what is true to part us from as much of our cash as possible.

Whoever thinks companies are going to pass on 2.5% to the customer is a fool. All this does is slightly increase their margin by keeping prices the same.

Even if some prices decrease 2.5%, inflation will have them back in less than a month anyway.

Lets face it, the premise that this will tempt people to go shopping is absurd. Lets get the real numbers. its £25 off per £1000 spent.

Now if I was browsing in a shop, would I buy something worth £1000 because there was £25 off! Never. If I was going to spend £1000, the chance of £25 off is irrelavent if I really was going to buy it anyway!.

Is something priced now at £99.95 going to be priced at £97.82 by the shopkeepers. No chance!

This was not for consumers, it is for the businesses to make more money to keep shareholders happy.

So far, we've bailed out all the scum bags and losers that got us in this mess - just about everyone - except the man on the street.

Remember that - when your granny dies this winter because she wont turn the heating on because her meagre pension wont cover the heating bill.

Remember that - when they send you to prison for a month because you cant afford your council tax.

Remember that - when your child dies because they shut down every local hospital because "we couldn't afford to keep them running."

Remember that your money was taken from you to kept the banks afloat - when they come knocking on your door to repossess you for not being able to afford the repayment you owe them.

There is never any money for anything - except when the higher classes stratospherically screw up and need a bail out, then there is as much of our money as they like.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Also, I forgot the other main reason they dropped the VAT.

Inflation is taking care of prices at the moment. But many economists are scared shitless of deflation by the end of next year. Thats why the VAT reduction ends in 2010, to jack up the prices when deflation starts to threaten.

Not only has inflation screwed us all over, just as it about dies, the VAT expiry keeps it going....

Were inflating our way out of debt.. The fed just announced nearly a trillion dollar economic stimulus....I bet that probably taxcuts for the richest folks anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    That's where my understanding of money matters ends but you're right, this whole VAT reduction thing is a crock. People who couldn't afford to buy anything frivolous before certainly won't be making the plunge just because the TV they wanted for £799 is now "only" £782.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The important question is, why wasn't the chancellor the comedy villain in the latest James Bond film?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4772064a6026.html

With the name Darling, that would have been much more interesting than whatever the new film actually was about.

I don't think the tax cuts will make an impact on low budget spending either. It looks like all it will do is generate a bigger pool of debt that has to be compensated for by taxing us even worse later on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nordkapp

So far, we've bailed out all the scum bags and losers that got us in this mess - just about everyone - except the man on the street.

That's always the way of it. I guess it will always be that way as long as the wealthy keep bribing the politicians.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    -
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Nice one Nordkapp, totally concur! VAT decrease is a crock of shit that few will fall for (hopefully).

I'm currently keeping an eye on the Canon EOS 40D at Amazon UK and Jessops. Lets see if they drop the price on Monday in line with the VAT decrease. If anyone else here is keeping an eye on prices of goods (preferably electrical) then report back here on Monday with any price changes.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

So if you haven't heard yet, VAT in the UK is going down 2.5% to 15% from 1 December. Since most shops (Apple Store included) have all their prices set to a nice round number, are they really going to bother changing their prices, or just enjoy the extra revenue?

So the question is, do you think Apple will bother cutting prices from 1 December so that:

MacBook Air WAS £1,299, NOW £1271.36

Mac Mini WAS £399, NOW £390.51

Apple Mini DVI to DVI Adapter WAS £15, NOW £14.68

I doubt they will (knowing Apple)... What do you think?

Well they keep all the prices consistent in Euro priced stores even though they all have different tax rates
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Folks in the UK voted for the politicians that gave them VAT, and other high taxes, then look for ways to get around the resulting higher prices. It doesn't seem to occur to them to get rid of the politicians responsible.

Here the money flowing into the US treasury is always higher when taxes are lower. Yet that doesn't stop folks here from voting for politicians who are going to tax the dog snot out of them, which will dry up investing, slow the economy, and increase job loss. Stupidity is universal, so we still share much with our friends across the pond. ;o)
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Well they keep all the prices consistent in Euro priced stores even though they all have different tax rates

That's nice to know. So Apple are going to do the same for the UK and pocket the difference... Nice