Microsoft Invests $280 Million Building New R&D Center In China

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
May, 2008

Software giant Microsoft says it will invest US$280 million to building a research and development center in Beijing.

Microsoft's new R&D center, which is expected to accommodate 5000 employees upon completion, is located at Beijing's Zhongguancun Square and covers a total area of 11,600 square meters. Consisting of two buildings which are connected by an air corridor, the center is estimated to be completed in 2010.

Zhang Yaqin, chairman and president of Microsoft China, says that the center will become Microsoft's largest research center outside the United States.

At present, Microsoft has four offices in Beijing.

d2dchina

China Wholesaler

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I thought they already did most of their development work in china. Isn't that why Vista looks like a cheap imitation of OS X?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by konaxis View Post

May, 2008

Software giant Microsoft says it will invest US$280 million to building a research and development center in Beijing.

Microsoft's new R&D center, which is expected to accommodate 5000 employees upon completion, is located at Beijing's Zhongguancun Square and covers a total area of 11,600 square meters. Consisting of two buildings which are connected by an air corridor, the center is estimated to be completed in 2010.

Zhang Yaqin, chairman and president of Microsoft China, says that the center will become Microsoft's largest research center outside the United States.

At present, Microsoft has four offices in Beijing.

d2dchina

China Wholesaler

Cool! Now Windows 7 will be even more poisonous and detrimental to human health than expected.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Hopefully Microsoft doesn't promote from within and have their people here in the States go over there to run the place, otherwise that's "shipping jobs overseas" and that will get the ire of Obama.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I wonder if Windows 7 will be the OS that finally does Microsoft in.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron

Cool! Now Windows 7 will be even more poisonous and detrimental to human health than expected.

I heard Aero will be totally rewritten. Windows 7 will feature a revolutionary new user interface called "Melamine".
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

Hopefully Microsoft doesn't promote from within and have their people here in the States go over there to run the place, otherwise that's "shipping jobs overseas" and that will get the ire of Obama.

The $280million USD means that's 280million USD that will be pumped into the Chinese not US economy. Why wasn't $280million USD invested into, say, a US city? $280million that would benefit US residents and create local jobs, rebuild communities?

What if this $280million research facility was built in, say, New Orleans? Oakland? Austin? Boston?

It's a hard stretch to really say how much of this $280million "investment" will be "returned" to US citizens and the US economy.

Microsoft, in my view, in this step, has shipped a whole bunch of US jobs overseas. I'm not a US citizen or resident, but you guys should be pissed off about this.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    It's so MSFT can kowtow to China and gain entrance into more areas.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    With last weeks DoD network snafu that imay put offshore producers/developers in a bind. Rumors are the worm was manufactured into some of the devices that were identified and confiscated.

The worst fears of many IT folks, the Genie of built-in back doors and malware, has just been publicly announced as in the house. Previously it was just the purview of Clancy and LeCarre novels and KGB-CIA one-offs.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The $280million USD means that's 280million USD that will be pumped into the Chinese not US economy. Why wasn't $280million USD invested into, say, a US city? $280million that would benefit US residents and create local jobs, rebuild communities?

What if this $280million research facility was built in, say, New Orleans? Oakland? Austin? Boston?

It's a hard stretch to really say how much of this $280million "investment" will be "returned" to US citizens and the US economy.

Microsoft, in my view, in this step, has shipped a whole bunch of US jobs overseas. I'm not a US citizen or resident, but you guys should be pissed off about this.

Sorry, my opinion of microsoft could not sink any lower.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I heard Aero will be totally rewritten. Windows 7 will feature a revolutionary new user interface called "Melamine".

Which will, no doubt, be another pathetic attempt at imitating the mac interface.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Which will, no doubt, be another pathetic attempt at imitating the mac interface.

Agreed, but did you get my "Melamine" joke?