Birds

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Anybody like birds or birdwatching? I occasionally do when I have the time, especially the birds that winter here fascinate me (Mandarin ducks being my favorite, and the most difficult to take god photos of).

Which leads me to a question: I snapped this photo at a small port in southern Japan last week and was wondering if anyone could ID the birds. My guess is they flew off an oil tanker that had arrived in port because I have spent lots of time down there and never seen this species before.  They made a sound sort of like the birds in Pixar's For the Birds.

What are your favorite birds?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I just got a bird book and my favorite birds to spot are small birds of prey like hawks and kites specifically red tailed hawks, Mississippi(grey or blue) kites, harriers, and the occasional osprey out on the outer banks. It's a hobby I'm hoping to get my daughter into as she gets older.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I am far from an expert on bird ID, but I really enjoy getting out to watch and photograph birds.

If you use Flickr, you might try this group for help:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/birdguide/
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Outside my mother's place she has many birds that feed on the feeder she has outside. But she told me that for about a week she hasn't seen a single bird. She is using the same bird feed she's used for years and the bird feeder is one that in the past has brought more birds than ever before. On Thanksgiving day when I was there, I saw not a single bird.

What gives? \
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Oops...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Outside my mother's place she has many birds that feed on the feeder she has outside. But she told me that for about a week she hasn't seen a single bird. She is using the same bird feed she's used for years and the bird feeder is one that in the past has brought more birds than ever before. On Thanksgiving day when I was there, I saw not a single bird.

What gives? \

Sounds like my high school... Several times a month the football field would see a gathering of thousands of blackbirds. For some reason, we always had "chicken" for lunch the next day.

-----

Saw a peragrine falcon earlier this year at a beach. It was cool how it hovered before diving for its breakfast. Have a video of it somewhere... will try to get it online sometime in the near future.

---

Had a god look through some bird books at a bookstore today and can only figure that the birds in my first post were finches, and they are not listed in any birds of Japan books, so I guess they got free from somebody...