How can I see detailed info about memory usage, page size etc?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello guys.

I have this course for which I need to do a workshop about computer memory.

For this, I have to analyse my own system.

Now I already found SOME info on the T8300 in my machine (like the L2 cache is 12-way set-associative, woohoo) but I also need to get some info on the page sizes of my memory. Now... I believe this is something that's done on os level, so is there like a Terminal command or something that will get me the necessary info? I checked the apple developer connection documents on memory management but didn't find the necessary info at first sight.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for (being a bit of a command-line newbie as I am) but if you open a Terminal window and type "top" you get info on all running processes as well as a breakdown at the top of the list detailing memory usage, pageins and pageouts. Is that what you need? Sorry if I missed the point
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Hello guys.

I have this course for which I need to do a workshop about computer memory.

For this, I have to analyse my own system.

Now I already found SOME info on the T8300 in my machine (like the L2 cache is 12-way set-associative, woohoo) but I also need to get some info on the page sizes of my memory. Now... I believe this is something that's done on os level, so is there like a Terminal command or something that will get me the necessary info? I checked the apple developer connection documents on memory management but didn't find the necessary info at first sight.

Thanks in advance.

Activity Monitor has all that information in it.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post

Activity Monitor has all that information in it.

That's true, another good option - just thought since this is a computer science guy he might feel more comfortable running top from terminal than opening Activity Monitor, but always good to have that preference, GUI or command line. Looks like this prob should be solved
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Page size is hardware dependent, as in the VM address translation hardware on the CPU drives the page size, not the OS. And it is 4K for regular non-Itanium Intel CPUs.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The terminal command vm_stat will provide info on virtual memory.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Page size is hardware dependent, as in the VM address translation hardware on the CPU drives the page size, not the OS. And it is 4K for regular non-Itanium Intel CPUs.

Ah, that's exactly what I needed, thanks!

top provides a lot of (interesting) info about memory usage and such but it didn't provide exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for all your help guys!