iPhone Dev Team successfully boots Linux on iPhone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH View Post

You are a funny guy. Not happy until I have everything precisely my way? That is just funny. Of course I am not happy until I have everything the way I want it. Are you telling me that you don't mind it when things are not the way you want it. I can see you at McDonalds. "Can I have a Big Mac"."Yes Sir two cheese burgers coming your way". "Thankyou". lol

But back to the iPhone. It is a good product. But even good products can be improved on. Since the iPhone has bluetooth built in I just want my Bluetooth un-crippled.

Maybe I threaten your status quo life. Sorry for that.

Ditto!
  • Reply 62 of 81
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Doesn't that depend a bit on what you see iPhone as. If it is nothing more than a phone than certainly it could be left as is from the factory, that includes downloadable and installable apps. However if you see iPhone as a micro computer that also has a cell phone built in then you take is a bit different.

The big problem with iPhone OS is that either Apple is having trouble evolving it to what it should be or has a very narrow view of what the device should be able to do. To be honest i think iPhones current software suite is a result of both issues. To put it mildly Apple hasn't been able to meet their own developmental goals on the device. Further it is also obvious that people at Apple have this concept in their minds as to what iPhone should do, a vision that obviously doesn't jive with what many users would want form the device.

From the standpoint of somebody trying to exploit the platform hardware there simply aren't a lot of good choices out there. Linux quickly rises to the top of the heap. Oh and by the way I doubt a real hacker is going to get too excited about Android. Ideally what we would see on an iPhone version of Linux is a complete replacement for X optimized in a way similar to what is currently done on the iPhone. That is a very light weight and speedy screen drive that doesn't have the overhead of X. Of course that amy be looking at the problem through graying glasses, some don't consider X to be a big problem. User space is but there are several options there.

Dave

I suppose, and I certainly don't mean to judge and denigrate the people doing the work. If we put a stop to every effort which at first seemed like a waste of time we'd truly be shooting ourselves in the foot. Who am I to judge where these efforts might lead. BUT... from where I sit right now -it is very hard to get enthusiastic about Linux on the iPhone. I mean, is there a goal in a broader sense or is that it? Linux on the iPhone.
  • Reply 63 of 81
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Well, the point of this forum is to make comments and opinions with which to agree or disagree.

Its disingenuous to make a strong comment. Then turn and say it should be obvious your comment should not have been taken seriously.

Quote:

Spot on. Of course it was tongue and cheek. Seems it got a lot of people razed up though. Can't believe how many people take this sort of stuff so serious.

• Reply 64 of 81
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    RED is absolutely the worst forum I have ever seen. Its the place you go to for all the wrong information.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yes, well, if you go to the RED (Video camera manufacturer) forums, you will find far worse. In fact, the owner of the company will harass you himself! How's that for service?

• Reply 65 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I suppose, and I certainly don't mean to judge and denigrate the people doing the work. If we put a stop to every effort which at first seemed like a waste of time we'd truly be shooting ourselves in the foot. Who am I to judge where these efforts might lead. BUT... from where I sit right now -it is very hard to get enthusiastic about Linux on the iPhone. I mean, is there a goal in a broader sense or is that it? Linux on the iPhone.

Realistically?

All these attempts are really just a matter of pride.

You know, when you finish something that you weren't sure you could do?

A bit of hubris as well.

It will never become useful on the iPhone. It's doubtful if they could actually get the phone to even work as a phone.

Apple, with all its knowledge of the phone and their own OS, customized to work properly on it, and with all the resources they can afford to spend on doing it, can't get it all done over a period of several years.

It would be much better if these guys concentrated on the iTouch instead, and left the phone itself alone. That would be a much simpler project, and could even have a small possibility of working in some limited, but useful, fashion.
  • Reply 66 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

oh boy... I bet the crack team was working hard. They ported Linux to a system that is already running darwin aka freeBSD? and for a CPU core and video chipset that has long had Linux support?

Wow. I'm Impressed. Next we'll see them port OPIE, GPE, and/or Familiar.

Oh wait... no we won't because these folks apparently like to reinvent to wheel.

/ sorry.. I'm in a grumpy mood today. Never have seen the point of hacking the iPhone. If you want android, I'm sure there will be a touch enabled android phone coming up real soon now.

//Just don't think you'll get away with VOIP calls and "unlimited data"

Exactly and they didn't like my remarks about w/o heavy funding by Corporate America, Linux would still be in it's infancy.

I use linux daily (> 10 hrs per day) but to deny the realities of where the heavy lifting comes from is pure hypocrisy.
  • Reply 67 of 81
    More power to them if they've gotten it to work.

But I don't really see much benefit out of this personally. The best part about the iPhone IMO is the software, not the hardware. And if I don't want the iPhone OS, I'd probably end up just choosing another phone rather than hoping to replace the OS.
  • Reply 68 of 81
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

ut back to the iPhone. It is a good product. But even good products can be improved on. Since the iPhone has bluetooth built in I just want my Bluetooth un-crippled.

I don't need Bluetooth to sync anything on my iPhone since MobileMe takes care of that. Bookmarks, Email, Contacts, Calendar...does it automatically. I don't need to be near my Mac to have it done either. The iPhone doesn't really need syncing by Bluetooth when it is already done automatically without Bluetooth.
  • Reply 69 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I don't need Bluetooth to sync anything on my iPhone since MobileMe takes care of that. Bookmarks, Email, Contacts, Calendar...does it automatically. I don't need to be near my Mac to have it done either. The iPhone doesn't really need syncing by Bluetooth when it is already done automatically without Bluetooth.

I don't understand the big deal some make about BT syncing. It's much slower than syncing over USB 2, esp, when you have several pages of programs, as I have, that you've updated over the air and need to be synced to the computer.

After all, you have to plug it in to recharge anyway.
  • Reply 70 of 81
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    Having Linux running on the iPhone is a good thing, it means that the device will remain useful for longer and it may find new uses besides what the device maker decides.

I don't think jailbreak is a great solution on several levels. Linux on iPhone looks better!
  • Reply 71 of 81
    Despite the obvious answer of "because we can", why?
  • Reply 72 of 81
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Exactly and they didn't like my remarks about w/o heavy funding by Corporate America, Linux would still be in it's infancy.

I use linux daily (> 10 hrs per day) but to deny the realities of where the heavy lifting comes from is pure hypocrisy.

Because it flies in the face of their belief system. Without IBM, HP, etc., Linux would look a lot like FreeBSD.
  • Reply 73 of 81
    I understand if a bunch of hackers want to give themselves a name like "the iPhone dev team!", but would it be too much to ask that AppleInsider make it clear these jokers are not, in fact, the iPhone development team?
  • Reply 74 of 81
  • Reply 75 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Seriously, the entire iPhone Dev Team needs to go out and get f*cking laid. I'm not even joking.

If any of these guys COULD get laid, they wouldn't be spending all there time doing this.
  • Reply 76 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jido View Post

Having Linux running on the iPhone is a good thing, it means that the device will remain useful for longer and it may find new uses besides what the device maker decides.

I don't think jailbreak is a great solution on several levels. Linux on iPhone looks better!

What a joke.

Linux is going to do for the iPhone, what it did for desktops.

Which is nothing....
  • Reply 77 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

Man, I pity whoever you end up getting married to, although with an attitude like that odd are good it will never happen.

As for the "news"... so, they loaded a linux kernel and now have an iPhone running linux that is completely useless since none of the control inputs have working drivers. I commend the technical achievement of getting the kernel on, but this doesn't mean there is a second useable OS. And since Android isn't multi-touch (yet, as far as I know) you'd still be losing a lot of functionality.

• Reply 78 of 81
    I'm not sure if this has been posted yet (I haven't read the whole thread), but this article is extremely inaccurate, starting with the headline. The iPhone Dev Team did not boot Linux on the iPhone, a separate team of developers (although a couple are also part of the iPhone dev team, as noted by planetbeing himself) is responsible for this. Please fix this inaccuracy...
  • Reply 79 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Linux would be a far more powerful OS. The primary reason being Apple going to great lengths to castrate Mobile OS.

Source? Other than "Uh, my ass."
  • Reply 80 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jido View Post

Pretty much useless.