VMWare offering 50% off Fusion 2.0 for Cyber Monday

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Parallels rival VMWare is holding a one-day sale on its Fusion 2.0 virtualization product for the Mac, which cuts the price in half to $39.99. However, Parallels users are being enticed to switch through an additional offer that brings the cost of Fusion 2.0 down to just $10.

Online retailer Amazon.com is among the resellers participating in VMWare's Cyber Monday offer and is currently selling Fusion 2.0 for $39.99 -- 50 percent off its suggested retail price of $79.99. MacMall is also listed among those resellers who plan to offer the 1-day discount, but had not updated pricing on its website as of press time.

Meanwhile, VMWare is courting users of rival software Parallels Desktop to switch platforms through an additional $30 rebate that knocks the cost of Fusion 2.0 down to just $10. To cash in on this deal, you can purchase Fusion 2.0 from VMWare's website using coupon code "CyberMondayDeal" and then submit your $30 rebate request on line. You must have proof of ownership of Parallels software to claim the rebate.

Both offers are valid through 11:59 PM Pacific Time this evening.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    For $10, you can't go wrong if you are curious. For $40 and not own either of them, you still can't go wrong. Very nice deal.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    $10 plus the cost of Windows...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    The terms on the rebate state:

This rebate is not valid with any other VMware sponsored offers

So you either get the 50%, or the $30 rebate. I went for the 50%...
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

not really, you can use the same copy you purchased to use with parallels...
  • Reply 5 of 27
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maCar View Post

not really, you can use the same copy you purchased to use with parallels...

Yep, my bad. Those people would have already bought windows.

The relative cost of windows seems relevant, but I'm not sure exactly how...
  • Reply 6 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Cyber Monday is a lame term invented by marketing types, I think to justify their salaries. It's not the biggest day of sales. Then again, Black Friday isn't the biggest day of sales either, hasn't been for a long time, but people continue to believe that.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    hey which one is better ? i saw some comparisons where Parallels got good marks than vmware...

and those reviews are really old like a year.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sebduggan View Post

The terms on the rebate state:

This rebate is not valid with any other VMware sponsored offers

So you either get the 50%, or the $30 rebate. I went for the 50%...

Check the blog at the VMware website - they state that both rebates apply for an effective crossgrade price of $9.99.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    The rebate off requires proof of purchase for Parallels, either the cover of the manual (I don't think I ever had a print manual, though I still have the box), or store receipt and product "serial number." Does anyone know where to find the serial number? I still have the Parallels install disk, but I don't see anything obvious.

For $10 I might be willing to flip, but I don't think I use Windows enough to justify $40. I didn't pay for the recent Parallels upgrade.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr.Joe View Post

Check the blog at the VMware website - they state that both rebates apply for an effective crossgrade price of $9.99.

Excellent! Unfortunately, I'm still out of luck, as it's only applicable to US and Canada, and I'm in the UK...
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Sorry, double post.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

You use Windows?? I thought all good Mac people virtualized SUN OS, Ubuntu server, etc.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Or you could download VirtualBox for free.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Has anyone been able to purchase this yet? I can't get past the login without a password violation, though I can go to the account screen and logon without a problem.

No response to emails sent Friday and today.

Hmm, maybe there's a message here.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by .mac View Post

hey which one is better ? i saw some comparisons where Parallels got good marks than vmware...

and those reviews are really old like a year.

It kind of goes back and forth, Parallels has a nicer installation process, and UI, but Fusion handles Multicore processors and video performance a little better. I've used both and honestly the performance of both really similar, but as one gets a new version it takes the upper hand for a while until the other releases an upgrade. What I like about VMWare is you buy 1 version and all subsequent updates are free (or at least so they say) Parallels will make you purchase a new one once in a while.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoonyfork View Post

Yeah, it is not all that but I hope it continues to improve.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

It kind of goes back and forth, Parallels has a nicer installation process, and UI, but Fusion handles Multicore processors and video performance a little better. I've used both and honestly the performance of both really similar, but as one gets a new version it takes the upper hand for a while until the other releases an upgrade. What I like about VMWare is you buy 1 version and all subsequent updates are free (or at least so they say) Parallels will make you purchase a new one once in a while.

Both are feature similar. I prefer VMWare because of stability issues and I had some personal problems with the way Parallels initially handled their process to allow Windows programs show up in my Mac drop down list when opening programs in the Mac. There was not choice to stop this in the beginning.

With that said, it is probably a toss up or whoever is hot now. I can say we moved our entire office over to VMWare from Parallels because of the above mentioned and other things that are too old to talk about now.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    I downloaded both trial versions Parallels and VM Fusion. Fusion was soooo much snappier than Parallels, it wasn't even funny. Only problem I faced with Fusion so far, was trying to re-activate my BootCamp Windows XP, I had to call MS and get a new number.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoonyfork View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Yeah, it is not all that but I hope it continues to improve.

Not all what?

Does it not run Windows, Linux, Solaris, etc?
  • Reply 20 of 27
    I haven't upgraded to Parallels 4.0, which they're making you pay for, but my experience thus far with Parallels has been that it doesn't REALLY support usb 2.0 - they say they've improved usb support, but my experience has been that it's painfully slow with all manner of devices.

Does any one have experience with Fusion and USB 2.0 support?