Apple finally taking orders for new in-ear headphones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And if that volume contriol drains you battery and interferes with your reception- no complaints- right?

If the addition of x takes away from y then z will be occur. That is standard. Are you actually stating that Apple shouldn't update their products because someone might complain? What problem do you have with a volume control being on a pair of headphones? If people are complaining that the iPhone isn't supported, why does it make a difference if other complain that it is supported in the future? Do you really think that a battery drain could occur from the inclusion of HW that will register more than the pause/play button over the mic line?
  • Reply 22 of 67
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

We addressed this in the article to the best of our knowledge, please read above.

You stated that the volume control will not work on iPhones and said that is presumably the reason why they are listed as not compatible. You might have implied that the double-click should work or might have implied that you unfortunately don't know whether the double-click will work. As I understood it, if you had known you would have clarified that point, so that was a question directed at everybody else.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macuser333 View Post

That is really disappointing that the iPhone is not supported. I was pretty stoked to use these as my go everywhere headphones with my iPhone. I guess I will have to wait.........

I wanted this too. I like the convenience of the little switch, but those standard earbuds are for kids' toys, not music.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segastyle View Post

these could also possibly be made fully compatible with a software update.

That's a pretty hefty assumption. In fact, I would bet that it cannot ? the iPhone is lacking the hardware to interpret the volume control signals in the same circuitry that was only designed initially to interpret audio input.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If the addition of x takes away from y then z will be occur. That is standard. Are you actually stating that Apple shouldn't update their products because someone might complain? What problem do you have with a volume control being on a pair of headphones? If people are complaining that the iPhone isn't supported, why does it make a difference if other complain that it is supported in the future? Do you really think that a battery drain could occur from the inclusion of HW that will register more than the pause/play button over the mic line?

Excuse me- What makes you feel that the iPhone has to have these headphones if Apple specifically has already said NO? If you want them that bad- switch to another phone, buy an iPod Touch and then you can use them. Please- stop the whinning and complaining already.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    Do they work with Shuffles?
  • Reply 27 of 67
    Quote:

Excuse me- What makes you feel that the iPhone has to have these headphones if Apple specifically has already said NO? If you want them that bad- switch to another phone, buy an iPod Touch and then you can use them. Please- stop the whinning and complaining already.

1) It makes good business sense to include them.

2) You are the only one complaining here.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Ok, not to take this topic off-topic from its off-topicness, but...

Any ideas if these headphones will be available from the retail store sooner than if you place an order online?
  • Reply 29 of 67
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Do iPhone users ever not whine??

don't whine about the whining...
  • Reply 30 of 67
    Quote:

1) It makes good business sense to include them.

2) You are the only one complaining here.

You're just not getting them - Get Over IT!
  • Reply 31 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

don't whine about the whining...

• Reply 32 of 67
    Any possibility the iPhone can be made compatible (volume control) with a software update - or is it a hardware issue? I like how these are fully compatible with the new MacBook/Pro. Very nice.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Quote:

You're just not getting them - Get Over IT!

I already ordered them, so as usual you are incorrect.

PS: Of all the forums I frequent and all the people I interact with on a daily basis I have never engaged anyone who complains as much and is as pessimistic as you. I really wonder what makes you tick.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbatsell View Post

That's a pretty hefty assumption. In fact, I would bet that it cannot ? the iPhone is lacking the hardware to interpret the volume control signals in the same circuitry that was only designed initially to interpret audio input.

you're also making an assumption. no one has officially stated that the iphone is lacking any specific hardware for this. for all we know the only difference is the software required to recognize the new specific inputs.

you could very well be right, but at this point i don't think anyone knows. there are currently other headphone adapters out there for the iphone which allow for volume adjustment. whether or not that do this in the same manner as the new in-ear headphones, i don't know.

from this previous appleinsider posting, we have this info though:

"the new touch now supports audio input via the headphone jack using the same four conductor headphone port as the iPhone"
  • Reply 35 of 67
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    I'll believe these sound quality claims when I hear it. Apple headphones have never been renowned for their sound quality. Somehow, I don't think I'll be trading my V-Moda Bass Freqs for these.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

If we follow the same pattern, Apple will introduce a 32GB model in early 2009 to match the current iPod Touch capacity, but will not change anything else (major) on the device. Similar to the tick-tock method used by Intel.

Until we get some more cycles or official word from Apple (which won't happen) it's just a hypothesis.

Hypothesis or not, you have still ruined my xmas present. How can I buy a 8 gb when in a month or two I can get a 16gb for the same price, or near? Talking of solid state memory, are the drives used in an iPhone / Touch faster, or in other ways better than SD memory? I mean, you can now buy 16 or 32 gb SD cards for next to nought so it would seem clever to include an sd, or micro sd slot on the iPhone / Touch, would it not?
  • Reply 37 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segastyle View Post

you could very well be right, but at this point i don't think anyone knows. there are currently other headphone adapters out there for the iphone which allow for volume adjustment. whether or not that do this in the same manner as the new in-ear headphones, i don't know.

Does it seem logical that Apple would have gone since the August announcement without upgrading the software in the iPhone to include volume control signals? This seems like it would be a very simple software inclusion if it were just software. You are correct that we don't know, but we can surmise that it most likely does require new HW.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Hypothesis or not, you have still ruined my xmas present.

I hope your comments are hyperbolic for comedic effect. If Apple's release schedule bothers you then get Apple gift certificates instead which you then hold until Apple lowers the price/ups the capacity.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    Quote:

I already ordered them, so as usual you are incorrect.

PS: Of all the forums I frequent and all the people I interact with on a daily basis I have never engaged anyone who complains as much and is as pessimistic as you. I really wonder what makes you tick.

He's actually a bear and taunting him will make him very upset.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

I hope your comments are hyperbolic for comedic effect. If Apple's release schedule bothers you then get Apple gift certificates instead which you then hold until Apple lowers the price/ups the capacity.

Indeed. Your Apple release schedule insights and predictions will not have any impact one way or the other on my merriment. I guess your Gift Card idea is an option but I don't generally like gift cards - receiving or giving. Gift cards don't satisfy my need for instant gratification.