Updating safari in OSX 10.2.8?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Im farily new to macs in general and am confused about one thing. In windows, you can always update the browser regardless of your windows version. OSX 10.2.8 is not all that old but I cannot update safari to 2.0.4 like in 10.4.7.

Is support for 10.2.8 discontinued? Am I forced to use firefox if I want an up to date browser? BTW, this is on an old Beige G3 so 10.2.8 is the highest OS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Comptech55

Is support for 10.2.8 discontinued?

Aside from security updates, yes.

Quote:

Am I forced to use firefox if I want an up to date browser?

Yes.

Quote:

BTW, this is on an old Beige G3 so 10.2.8 is the highest OS.

Well, frankly, beige G3s are close to a decade old. They were introduced in late 1997, and replaced in late 1998. I have a hard time believing running 10.2.8 is much of a pleasuring experience.

That said, Microsoft's update policy is indeed a lot more consumer-friendly.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Personally, I hope Apple realizes that they're killing any slim chance Safari has of being a "website supported" browser by further diluting it's share of the browser space.

How are companies suppose to work this many versions of Safari? Test their site in 10.2, 10.3, 10.4? I don't think so! They're lazy enough to not even test a mac at all...

-jay
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jApple

How are companies suppose to work this many versions of Safari? Test their site in 10.2, 10.3, 10.4? I don't think so! They're lazy enough to not even test a mac at all...

-jay

This is a silly argument. There are numerous versions of Mozilla, Netscape, Firefox and other browsers in use. It would be a total waste of time for site developers to tweak their sites for every version of every browser that their customers use. Safari has the advantage that it is the most W3C standards-compliant browser available. If a developer codes to W3C standards, he doesn't have to worry about which version of Safari his visitors will use.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Comptech55 View Post

Im farily new to macs in general and am confused about one thing. In windows, you can always update the browser regardless of your windows version. OSX 10.2.8 is not all that old but I cannot update safari to 2.0.4 like in 10.4.7.

Is support for 10.2.8 discontinued? Am I forced to use firefox if I want an up to date browser? BTW, this is on an old Beige G3 so 10.2.8 is the highest OS.

Thank you! I have spent a good portion of the night trying to do the exact same thing, to see if I can update my safari browser at all on my MAC OS X 10.2.8 operating system. I also know that I can not update my operating system beyond 10.2.8. My friend who explained this to me in lay terms said that it's because my particualr iMac is not DVD compatible. Whether that means it is a G3 or not, I have no idea but I hope someone else reading this understands it. I know that it's over 2 years later now, and I read the rest of this thread. So I'm wondering if it's still hard to impossible to get help updating my safari broswer or not.

I would really appreciate anyone's help or reply to this, even if the answer would be exactly the same to those given to this user.

I am also fairly new to Macs and not totally computer savvy. But I can plainly see that it's hard to find info. online, even through apple's website, that can help me.

But to put my question in simple terms: Can I possibly get a more updated version of safari than what I have, which is 1.0.3, on my iMac OS X 10.2.8?

p.s. My friend who helped me assured me that my firefox browser is as updated as it can get, and he said it is more important and helpful to have an updated firefox browser because it is a browser designed specifically for Macs. So that is why I would appreciate any and all help specifically on this issue. Thank you in advance.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    You could try the Camino web browser. The latest release can be found at http://caminobrowser.org/download/releases/#os10.2.8.

Their catch phrase is "Mozilla Power, Mac Style"
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

You could try the Camino web browser. The latest release can be found at http://caminobrowser.org/download/releases/#os10.2.8.

Their catch phrase is "Mozilla Power, Mac Style"

Thank you, and I will.

But do you happen to know answers pertaining to my safari browser concerns?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    This is how Apple sells new systems to guys who have loved their old Beige stuff...

Basically, because we are die hard Apple Fans and not to mention just plain understand somethings work better than others, and when the time has come software gets leveled off to where you HAVE to by a new system. Believe me one of my favorite systems is an 840av with Photoshop 2.5.1, but there are no browsers anymore at certain tech breakpoints... IE have to upgrade system, it's been going on since Netscape Navigator/Communicator for me...

Laters...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blooposity View Post

Thank you, and I will.

But do you happen to know answers pertaining to my safari browser concerns?

What kind of answers? Jaguar is plain dead now, even for Panther there are no updates anymore. This is the Apple computing life. \ But it is true that there is somewhere an end in software development for an old operational system. In the Apple world we often have premature burials.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    You're talking about 10 year old systems. Even lightweight Linux distros have problems with hardware that old. Be glad the machine still works.

That being said,

http://www.icab.de/dl.php
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

What kind of answers? Jaguar is plain dead now, even for Panther there are no updates anymore. This is the Apple computing life. \ But it is true that there is somewhere an end in software development for an old operational system. In the Apple world we often have premature burials.

kind of answer:

But to put my question in simple terms: Can I possibly get a more updated version of safari than what I have, which is 1.0.3, on my iMac OS X 10.2.8?

First of all thank you everyone for helping out. To the two of you who sent me the links to the camino and icab browsers, I take it that your implied answers are #1 that I can't get a more updated version of safari for my iMac, and #2 that the camino and icab browsers I can get are both better than safari 1.0.3.

Or if that is not exactly the case, I presume that even if I can SLIGHTLY upgrade my mozilla browser, both of those browsers, given my iMac's limitations, are better.

I am using the Camino one and seeing how that works for me, and I will experiment with the icab as well.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

kind of answer:

Any update available should show up in software update (in System Preferences). If you see nothing there, then you have the latest you can have.

Quote:

First of all thank you everyone for helping out. To the two of you who sent me the links to the camino and icab browsers, I take it that your implied answers are #1 that I can't get a more updated version of safari for my iMac, and #2 that the camino and icab browsers I can get are both better than safari 1.0.3.

Not sure which version of Camino can Jaguar run, but in any case, Camino is a very nice browser. You will appreciate the feature to block ads and to turn off animations; on such an old G3 you will need it. Actually I used constantly this feature even on a G4 867 MHz, which is much faster than the old G3's. The internet today is very heavy for old machines.

I cannot tell about iCab. It is years now from the last time I used it.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

A year in the life of a computer is equivalent to seven years in the life of a person. You have a five year old operating system. That is like a 35-year-old person. There have been four (4) generations of framework improvements since 10.2.8. Since Apple released MacOS X 10.2.8, it has gone through an entire cycle of 10.3, 10.4, and is now winding down 10.5. Safari uses the underlying frameworks of MacOS X.

You are trying to hold on to an ancient OS. However, Apple has moved on. Most other browser developers have moved on. Most website developers have moved on. It is long past time for you to move on. If you don't want 10.5, then install 10.4. Apply all updates and you will have Apple's latest shipping version of Safari. You will also be able to use the latest versions of Firefox, Camino, Opera, iCab, and most other Mac browsers.