please, a moment of silence :(

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    I guess this little detail Apple has put into the Unix-based OS X is the ultimate answer to the ultimate question in another forum (the question being: WTF happened to our OS?!)...

It's getting better and better.

What Apple has done with the Unix underpinning is absolutely amazing. From the potentionally unimaginably powerful Quartz Extreme to the user-friendly kernal panic, I'd like to go out on a limb and say that OS X is coming along just nicely, eh?
  • Reply 22 of 25
    carbon3carbon3 Posts: 34member
    Originally posted by starfleetX:

"Oh, and I'm glad you guys were smart enough to realize what this meant. Now I remember why I rarely visit MacOSX.com any more -- those guys are dense!"

Ego boost!
  • Reply 23 of 25
    what the heck is that?
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Excellent post. Keep it up.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by Proud_iBook_Owner:

<strong>what the heck is that?</strong><hr></blockquote>If you've never encountered or heard of a "kernel panic" then consider yourself lucky. They are rare, but appear much like the Windows-ish BSODs. If your computer goes into an irrecoverable, hard crash, the kernel "panics" and spews up a memory dump in hexadecimal numbers on the screen and looks really scary.

That Apple has successfully covered up this UNIX-y crash with a far more elegant solution is quite a testament to the ingenuity of the people working at Apple. The little story above was just to humor those of us that have encountered "Colonel" Panic on more than a few occasions.