Apple's unexpected iPod shortage spreading

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smurfman View Post


    Totally agree... I've been saying this since last year. The Touch will (hopefully) be Apple's Trojan Horse/catalyst for communications without carriers! The biggest hurdle is having wireless internet everywhere (or at least decent coverage). Once this is solved, the iPod Touch will have no limits and not need carriers!



    Ah, the solution to wireless everywhere is people everywhere using devices like the Touch (and/or Fon's wireless router) to create a huge P2P wireless network. There will be no central hub. Effectively, communications will be free - with the only cost being the device and whatever powers it - lemon juice, solar, 'Better Place' charged removable batteries etc. I am willing to take my reputation (or lack of) on the prediction that it will be free to communicate (at any bandwidth) within 10 years. And I only say 10 years, (not say, 5), because there may be standards and safety issues to deal with. IE, if comms does become free, and we're tempted to hold wireless devices to our heads for lengthy periods of time, will there be any medical side effects? (My ears get hot from talking on my mobile/cell phone - and it's not the phone's body heating my ears, it's the radio waves.) So, will WiFi/Wimax etc based devices do the same? (I have never spoken over VOIP on my Touch yet to test this. Not sure if Fring runs on the Touch/iPhone, although it does on my Nokia E71 - and very well too - over WiFi or the regular networks.)
  • Reply 42 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonderkid View Post


    ...never spoken over VOIP on my Touch yet to test this. Not sure if Fring runs on the Touch/iPhone, although it does on my Nokia E71 - and very well too - over WiFi or the regular networks.



    Here's an interesting article...

    http://www.tmcnet.com/tmcnet/videos/...ipod-touch.htm
  • Reply 43 of 62
    ipod touch = Apple's 'netbook'



    I know people ho vacation with the iPod touch and use it to keep in touch with their business at wifi hotspots, and love not lugging around any more than that little beast.



    it actually fits in purses and pockets



    the 'real netbooks' are a great idea, but just not enough one or another thing to be useful in the long run
  • Reply 44 of 62
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post


    How in heaven's name do you run out of iPods coming into the number one, mondo shopping season of the entire year??? Heads will roll if this story is true.



    Maybe resellers are running low on Touches, but Apple itself is not. After all, Apple makes more money on its own sales so it would not surprise me if Apple satisfies its own needs before its resellers.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post


    My best guess is that Apple product forecasters believed all the news stories about consumers not spending. Problem is, those stories all seem to have been wrong, as Black Friday sales were up 6%. People are buying, recession news or no recession news. I'm not sure anyone really knows what's going on, but Apple bet wrong, ordering less stock from suppliers in China, and now they're getting bit.



    such doom and gloom here...maybe they didnt cut the supply, and maybe they've sold out a record number of units? Maybe this will be their "best quarter ever?"







    of COURSE it will.



    and when they announce record profits, flying the face of economic woe, the stock will drop 5 bucks.



    Fu-k you, Wall Street.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post


    such doom and gloom here...maybe they didnt cut the supply, and maybe they've sold out a record number of units? Maybe this will be their "best quarter ever?"







    of COURSE it will.



    and when they announce record profits, flying the face of economic woe, the stock will drop 5 bucks.



    Fu-k you, Wall Street.



    I don't think it's necessarily Wall Streeters here, I think it's more the people that trade stocks at home while wearing their pajamas.
  • Reply 47 of 62
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,232member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I don't think it's necessarily Wall Streeters here, I think it's more the people that trade stocks at home while wearing their pajamas.



    Yup! I second that.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post


    ipod touch = Apple's 'netbook'



    I know people ho vacation with the iPod touch and use it to keep in touch with their business at wifi hotspots, and love not lugging around any more than that little beast.



    it actually fits in purses and pockets



    the 'real netbooks' are a great idea, but just not enough one or another thing to be useful in the long run



    Agreed. My iPod makes it MUCH easier to leave a laptop behind on a trip. And that's a HUGE thing to get away with for $299.



    I don't know why, but I'm stuck on the fact that I can't use it to upload photos to flickr from the road. Or even to offload an SD card. Which makes no sense, because at today's prices I should just buy another SD card. I just can't get past that. Personal problem I guess.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post


    Agreed. My iPod makes it MUCH easier to leave a laptop behind on a trip. And that's a HUGE thing to get away with for $299.



    I don't know why, but I'm stuck on the fact that I can't use it to upload photos to flickr from the road. Or even to offload an SD card. Which makes no sense, because at today's prices I should just buy another SD card. I just can't get past that. Personal problem I guess.



    If you mean to upload pics from a card from another camera, I don't think that can be done without Apple's blessing, you're stuck there.



    But there is at least one app that will upload pictures from the iPhone's camera.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Well, you know, it does seem as though Woz is acting more like a curmudgeon the older he gets. Sometimes I can't understand what he's saying. He seems to enjoy baiting Apple these days.



    I even wonder if he means half of what he says, as he's such an avowed practical joker.



    Not even a curmudgeon, Melgross; he's just an honest, sweet natured elite-geek from the old school. Take a look at this recent interview.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ne/7742797.stm



    Season's Cheers
  • Reply 51 of 62
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    If you mean to upload pics from a card from another camera, I don't think that can be done without Apple's blessing, you're stuck there.



    But there is at least one app that will upload pictures from the iPhone's camera.



    Yeah, I meant from another camera. I need to get past this reservation I have, but it just seems like if you're going to call it a computer (the media calls it a computer, I'm not sure Apple has) there should be some USB connectivity. I should be able to use it as a USB drive. I should be able to plug in a third party keyboard. And a card reader.



    I like to hope those functions are being held for the tablet.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,232member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post


    Not even a curmudgeon, Melgross; he's just an honest, sweet natured elite-geek from the old school. Take a look at this recent interview.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ne/7742797.stm



    Season's Cheers



    I've read a lot of interviews with him over the years, and also an article where he proclaimed his desire to be "outspoken". Sometimes though, he outspeaks without also inward thinking. Quite a few things he says are simply wrong, or even silly. I even think he knows it when he says it.



    Look, the fact is that he just hasn't done much after inventing the floppy controller, and other old technologies. He's trying hard to remain relevant.



    He started several companies over the years which either failed, or haven't done much. He went into education, but what does he really do with it?



    His main claim to fame these days is being on the MacGeek cruises, where people can hobnob with him, and dating Cathy Griffin, who has broken up with him.



    It's hard to take him seriously anymore.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I've read a lot of interviews with him over the years, and also an article where he proclaimed his desire to be "outspoken". Sometimes though, he outspeaks without also inward thinking. Quite a few things he says are simply wrong, or even silly. I even think he knows it when he says it.



    Look, the fact is that he just hasn't done much after inventing the floppy controller, and other old technologies. He's trying hard to remain relevant.



    He started several companies over the years which either failed, or haven't done much. He went into education, but what does he really do with it?



    His main claim to fame these days is being on the MacGeek cruises, where people can hobnob with him, and dating Cathy Griffin, who has broken up with him.



    It's hard to take him seriously anymore.



    Woz was a better person when he had Jobs driving him and giving him direction for his boundless creativity.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    What's this salesman saying...



    "you can put lipstick on a pig.... and it still a Pig"



    <IMG SRC="ballmer'Zune.jpg" WIDTH="431" HEIGHT="330">



    edit: guess that didn't work.. can't paste a .jpg image in to a reply.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    ]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EyeNsteinNo View Post


    What's this salesman saying...



    "you can put lipstick on a pig.... and it still a Pig"



    <IMG SRC="ballmer'Zune.jpg" WIDTH="431" HEIGHT="330">



    edit: guess that didn't work.. can't paste a .jpg image in to a reply.



    You can, but you need to use the markup for the forum, not HTML. Their is an icon for images you click it and then put in the full URL of the image.



  • Reply 56 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    ]



    You can, but you need to use the markup for the forum, not HTML. Their is an icon for images you click it and then put in the full URL of the image.







    I wanted to attach a .jpg image from my desktop file. The FAQ said there was a "Manage Attachments" button located below the message box. This would let me browse for the file on my computer to upload the file.



    I found no such button below the message box.



    Any suggestions?
  • Reply 57 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EyeNsteinNo View Post


    I wanted to attach a .jpg image from my desktop file. The FAQ said there was a "Manage Attachments" button located below the message box. This would let me browse for the file on my computer to upload the file.



    I found no such button below the message box.



    Any suggestions?



    That feature is probably turned off but the text describing it didn't get fixed. The best way to go is upload it using imageshack.us or some other image hosting service.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    "That feature is probably turned off but the text describing it didn't get fixed. The best way to go is upload it using imageshack.us or some other image hosting service."



    I see what your saying.



    The Posting Rules for this thread states



    You may not post attachments.



    Guess that means it is turned off.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    I did my part and bought two iPod touches as gifts this holiday season, using all my credit card points!
  • Reply 60 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EyeNsteinNo View Post


    What's this salesman saying...



    "you can put lipstick on a pig.... and it still a Pig"



    <IMG SRC="ballmer'Zune.jpg" WIDTH="431" HEIGHT="330">



    edit: guess that didn't work.. can't paste a .jpg image in to a reply.



    Is your picture form this video?



    http://www.spike.com/video/ballmers-zune/2884561



    Funny. So MS.
Sign In or Register to comment.