dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Here are my predictions:

Revised iMac - No Firewire

iWork '09 - Heavy ties into MobileMe and the iPhone

iLife '09 - Heavy ties into MobileMe and the iPhone

One more thing: 15" MacBook Air

No mention of Mac Mini, Mac Pros, and Snow Leopard
  • Reply 42 of 151
    with iWork for iPhone Pro. USB slot, too. Touch screen on the iPhone stays active.

Your iPhone becomes more of a stand-alone computer. Take it home and dock it to the monitor and keyboard. Sort of covered by that patent we saw a while back.

I'd also like to see a new mini as a home theater pc/server.

I don't think we'll see a touchscreen laptop or desktop.

Hopefully a big upgrade to mobileMe.

I really don't know what else they can do with the iMac other than speed bumps.
  • Reply 43 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdconway View Post

with iWork for iPhone Pro. USB slot, too. Touch screen on the iPhone stays active.

Your iPhone becomes more of a stand-alone computer. Take it home and dock it to the monitor and keyboard. Sort of covered by that patent we saw a while back.

Wouldn't it be easier for Apple to come out with a dock that has a MiniDisplay port instead of retooling the iPhone design?
  • Reply 44 of 151
    I noticed Wikipedia states that:
    Quote:

On September 18, 2007, Pat Gelsinger demonstrated USB 3.0 at the Intel Developer Forum. The USB 3.0 Promoter Group announced on 2008-11-17 that version 1.0 of the specification has been completed and is transitioned to the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF), the managing body of USB specifications. This move effectively opens the spec to hardware developers for implementation in future products.

I do not know how much work Apple needs to do to get USB 3.0 into the Mac, but the iMac, Mac mini, and 17" MacBook Pro could very well get it in their next update. Apple could easily drop FireWire400 from the Mac mini since we could use a USB3.0-to-FireWire400 adapter and get "native" speed from the FireWire devices. I wouldn't be surprised if the MacBook and 15" MacBook Pro were quickly updated with USB 3.0, especially if this lets Apple discontinue the MacBook "White".
  • Reply 45 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

I noticed that Wikipedia states that: I do not know how much work Apple needs to do to get USB 3.0 into the Mac, but the iMac, Mac mini, and 17" MacBook Pro could very well get it in their next update. Apple could easily drop FireWire400 from the Mac mini since we could use a USB3.0-to-FireWire400 adapter and get "native" speed from the FireWire devices. I wouldn't be surprised if the MacBook and 15" MacBook Pro were quickly updated with USB 3.0, especially if this lets Apple discontinue the MacBook "White".

USB (1/2/3) is a completely different (and more limited) architecture... so even if USB3 was available early 2009 (and it's not going to be) there would be no compatibility between USB3 and FW.

Having the overall USB3 description spec available doesn't really mean anything for putting USB3 on notebooks... since the host controller spec isn't finished yet (Intel released the draft version in August).

Quote:

The first USB 3.0 discrete controllers will be available in the second half of 2009 and the first consumer products using USB 3.0 are expected to be available in 2010.

see also this and this
  • Reply 46 of 151
    It will be early 2010 before anything has USB 3.
  • Reply 47 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by otwayross View Post

USB (1/2/3) is a completely different (and more limited) architecture... so even if USB3 was available early 2009 (and it's not going to be) there would be no compatibility between USB3 and FW.

Having the overall USB3 description spec available doesn't really mean anything for putting USB3 on notebooks... since the host controller spec isn't finished yet (Intel released the draft version in August).

see also this and this

also usb 3.0 still have the cpu over head that 2.0 has.
  • Reply 48 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

also usb 3.0 still have the cpu over head that 2.0 has.

agreed.

but given that it's up to 10x the data transfer rate

i think we can expect just a little more overhead than usb 2 \

there are going to be some interesting barefeats pages late 2009 / early 2010
  • Reply 49 of 151
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Here are my predictions:

Revised iMac - No Firewire

iWork '09 - Heavy ties into MobileMe and the iPhone

iLife '09 - Heavy ties into MobileMe and the iPhone

One more thing: 15" MacBook Air

No mention of Mac Mini, Mac Pros, and Snow Leopard

The iMac will indeed have Firewire. It's a desktop computer that doesn't lack the space for adding FW ports.

Snow Leopard will be demo'd

iWork 09- I agree with more MobileMe ties and the iPhone. Numbers will see the largest increase in new features. I'd love to see a 4th application added that adds more drawing capability. I'd also like to see some good roundtrip support with Bento 2.

iLife09- Routine updates to iDVD, iWeb, Garageband, iMovie has a large update and finally ends the need for iMovie 6. Better MobileMe support. Here's the stunner though. iTunes Pro. A new premium version of iTunes that adds features like central storage, music identification and much more. Only available in iLife 09

Macbook Pro 17 Unibody

New Apple TV 2.0
  • Reply 50 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

iTunes Pro.

No. Windows Users could NOT be alienated in this way. It's the best delivery mechanism with a $ making backend that consumers LIKE. They wouldn't screw that up. Look for that stuff in a free upgrades somewhere near June next year.
  • Reply 51 of 151
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

No. Windows Users could NOT be alienated in this way. It's the best delivery mechanism with a $ making backend that consumers LIKE. They wouldn't screw that up. Look for that stuff in a free upgrades somewhere near June next year.

Fair enough but they need to get their asses moving. iTunes 8 was the more boring release ever. I rarely use Genius.
  • Reply 52 of 151
    Quote:

The iMac will indeed have Firewire. It's a desktop computer that doesn't lack the space for adding FW ports.

There is no reason to believe that Apple will keep FireWire on the desktop iMac. In fact, I believe the reason why new iMacs weren't introduced last month is because they lack FireWire. Apple didn't want any more bad press... Most folks agree that FireWire will be dropped from the next Mac Mini revision... So I can't imagine why Apple will keep it on the iMac.

Quote:

Snow Leopard will be demo'd

Perhaps.. But if 10.6 doesn't offer any new features, what will Steve demo? Its faster?

Quote:

iLife09- Routine updates to iDVD, iWeb, Garageband, iMovie has a large update and finally ends the need for iMovie 6. Better MobileMe support. Here's the stunner though. iTunes Pro. A new premium version of iTunes that adds features like central storage, music identification and much more. Only available in iLife 09

Since iDVD has been on the downswing for the past two iLife updates, I would like to see a new app added to iLife. Perhaps a simple animation application....
  • Reply 53 of 151
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

So I can't imagine why Apple will keep it on the iMac.

Because it has FW800. Apple so far has only ditched FW400.

Quote:

Perhaps.. But if 10.6 doesn't offer any new features, what will Steve demo? Its faster?

Yes, much faster in some cases. They've done this before when they've demo'd the Pentium vs G4s and 64-bit machines loading the high-res library image. They can simply show how much improvement GPU processing and multi-threading can give you. Perhaps a mention of how much less space SL will take up. It doesn't have to be a long segment about it, just a brief mention.

Quote:

I would like to see a new app added to iLife. Perhaps a simple animation application....

Like Keynote with Core Animation? How simple? I've seen kids play with Powerpoint animation games.
  • Reply 54 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Because it has FW800. Apple so far has only ditched FW400.

I don't want to make this thread into an extension of the FireWire thread in current hardware, but I disagree. I guess we will have to wait to see what Apple does. I think the FireWire ports will be replaced by a eSATA ports (which makes more sense to me).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Like Keynote with Core Animation? How simple? I've seen kids play with Powerpoint animation games.

Like that I guess... I am thinking more like "Flash for the rest of us" type application... I think an app with a clean interface and the ability to create some fun animations with one own media would be cool.

I think it fits with the creative nature of iLife. Apps such as iDVD, GarageBand, and iMovie have matured to a point where there really isn't too many new feature to add.
  • Reply 55 of 151
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

I don't want to make this thread into an extension of the FireWire thread in current hardware, but I disagree. I guess we will have to wait to see what Apple does. I think the FireWire ports will be replaced by a eSATA ports (which makes more sense to me).

I doubt they'd make the iMac 'better' than the MBP but I guess given that the MBP has expresscard and can therefore get eSATA, it's a possibility they'd push the iMac in a different direction. I don't see it to be honest. People still need to capture video - it's ok to expect a consumer to switch between a couple of £150 camcorders, it's not ok to expect people to change from a £5000 firewire-only camcorder. Whether the iMac targets that market is questionable but it's likely to some degree and FW is far more use than a high speed link to storage devices.

Quote:

Like that I guess... I am thinking more like "Flash for the rest of us" type application... I think an app with a clean interface and the ability to create some fun animations with one own media would be cool.

I think it fits with the creative nature of iLife. Apps such as iDVD, GarageBand, and iMovie have matured to a point where there really isn't too many new feature to add.

The trouble with iLife is that it's an app suite meant to suit a lot of people. Animation is a fairly specialized field. There aren't many average consumers using the Adobe Flash suite to make animations.

It would be good if Apple or anyone really made an open standards based animation software to rival Flash based on OpenGL completely for graphics and using Python scripting but it's a big task and I'd see it being part of the Final Cut Suite.
  • Reply 56 of 151
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    in addition to FinalcutExpress:

DVDExpress
  • Reply 57 of 151
    MWSF will kick off with Snow Leopard including all the reworked software suites.

Steve and co will tie this into the new line of iMacs (demoed) and Mac Mini (demoed), MacPro will get a mention but will arrive much later (no demo).

Lastly an iTunes announcement, fully PLUS'ed? It would be great if it finally goes officially global instead of the gift card workarounds people use now (myself included). If anything, the App store has shown that you get more sales if you don't lock in to regions.

Expanding on the second point, iMac update is a no-brainer, MacPro has been discussed extensively in other posts. I think the Mac Mini might be the dark horse product announcement that blindsides everybody. Keep in mind that the Mini was made as an entry level Mac for new users/switchers and has to keep its low price to make sense. Now, how much would it cost to stick Apple TV functionality in it? Make it an iTunes server? not much. This also ties in nicely with that iTunes announcement.
  • Reply 58 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano2Gfteo View Post

Spot ON!. Just 2 minor additions, Mac Pro with i7 processors, of course. iPhone with DiskMode so I can carry large files to/from office!. hate fumbling with 4GB, 8GB thumb drives. iPhone we carry everywhere and most people have nanos, so data cable not a problem. Again this simple feature is present in most other phones like SE handset ...

Mac Pro won't happen, unless it's referencing a preview for what will be available in April.
  • Reply 59 of 151
    Quote:

Interesting Press release from 1394 Trade Group on Firewire:

http://www.1394ta.org/press/TAPress/2008_1112.html

Quote:

1394 TRADE ASSOCIATION PRESS RELEASE

FireWire’s Strong Presence in Notebook PCs, Storage, Instrumentation Applications Points to Solid Future Growth, 1394 Trade Association Reports

Support Among Users for FireWire™ in Apple MacBook Pro Demonstrates 1394’s Popularity; 1394 Trade Association Collects User Comments

Dallas, Nov. 12, 2008 -- Growth in the PC notebook, storage, peripherals, and industrial market sectors continues to propel the IEEE 1394 (FireWire) standard to another strong year of growth.

New notebook PCs from global leaders such as Acer, Dell, Fujitsu, Hewlett Packard, Toshiba, Sony and others incorporate FireWire -- and the 800 Megabit/second version (S800) is now a virtual standard in storage systems from leading manufacturers. The number of 1394-equipped notebook PCs has increased by approximately 20 percent in 2008. Among the PCs recommended to users by Consumer Reports in its December 2008 edition, 75 percent featured FireWire, including brands from Sony, Acer, Dell, Lenovo, and Hewlett Packard. (For the Consumer Reports article visit: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...mputers-ov.htm) In addition, Microsoft will support the new 800 Megabit/second version of FireWire in upcoming Windows Version 7 releases next year.

MacBook Pro Users Insist on FireWire

The popularity of FireWire has been registered enthusiastically in the weeks following the decision to remove it from a couple members of the MacBook Pro family of PCs introduced in October. A petition requesting its reinstatement has drawn signatures from users worldwide. Comments from users about the decision have been collected and appear in a list of weblogs and postings with links to articles and quotes. The comments are on the 1394 Trade Association website: http://www.1394ta.org/consumers/ResponseToApple.html.

“The overwhelming support for FireWire is proof of the strength of the technology and the value users place on it,” said James Snider, executive director of the 1394 Trade Association. “The feedback also points to the value that applications realize as users and designers continue to adopt the more powerful FireWire800 standard.” Snider added, “There is every indication that Apple executives are paying attention to the FireWire discussion and want to address users’ concerns.”

FireWire Expands its Role in HDV Camera Applications

Virtually all HDV cameras continue to rely on FireWire for transfers, including some models that have become very popular with independent producers. The installed base of FireWire camcorders is still enormous, including many high-definition applications.

Also, most pro and semi-pro cameras continue to use FireWire, because HDV remains preferred over AVCHD. And many professionals also select MacBooks and use them for on-the-road capture. "FireWire also remains the preferred interface for multichannel audio."

Among other key market sectors, the number of 1394-equipped set top boxes shipped worldwide is up more than 25 percent in 2008. PC peripherals that incorporate FireWire are growing between 17 to 20 percent.

1394 Now Emerging in the Industrial and Automotive Sectors

New markets for 1394 also are now emerging. The 1394-Automotive standard has been developed as a major specification for vehicle entertainment, navigation and other automotive applications, and the first 1394-equipped vehicle networks will begin contributing to applications growth in 2009. Also, the completion of the new UWB over Coax specification has added a powerful and efficient new standard for whole home networking.

"1394 has continued its strong growth across a broad range of applications and market sectors in 2008," said Snider. “FireWire delivers the best speed and performance of any standard for a wide range of applications, as evidenced by stable and steady increases in 1394's adoption globally in the hard disk storage, industrial camera and automation markets. And the 1394-Automotive standard, which was developed in conjunction with major automakers worldwide, is gaining significant traction now, bringing the comprehensive in-vehicle network to cars beginning next year."

For many users, as indicated by the comments from Apple users, the high speed, reliability and guaranteed quality of service provided by IEEE 1394 are vital. 1394a delivers true throughput of 400 Megabits/second, compared with USB 2.0, which in practice delivers far lower throughput due to significant network overhead and the burden it places on the processor, despite claims of 480 Megabit/second speeds. The 1394b specification, now widely implemented in new products, delivers bandwidth close to 800 Megabits/second, in real-time, providing the highest quality of service and reliability.

For more information about the 1394/FireWire standard, visit www.1394ta.org

Contact

Dick Davies

[email protected]

415 652 7515

FireWire is a trademark of the 1394 Trade Association

• Reply 60 of 151
    iLife '09

iWork '09

New mini

Revised iMac

Launch of 17" MacBook Pro (with the new form-factor)