Adobe to be largely a no-show at Macworld 2009

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Excellent points - thanks for that. The relationship with Adobe and their attitudes toward the Mac must be somewhat galling to Apple. Along with Microsoft, Adobe's relationship with Apple stretches back to the earliest days.

All the best.

It's Apple's fault as well. This had been a symbiotic relationship from the beginning.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

I disagree with this.

Trade shows (done properly) help generate buzz. And, Adobe needs some buzz for CS4.

I, for one, am waiting to upgrade to CS4 as it will cost me $1200 for 2 licenses for CS4 Web Developer upgrades and my company has 2 employees. I can't justify spending $1200 so that I can copy in Word 2008 and paste into Dreamweaver.

None of the reviews, so far, have gotten me excited about CS4.

More positive, enthusiastic reviews pouring out of Macworld might push me into upgrading.

Trade shows are dying. They have been for years.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

So has every hypochondriac who ever lived!
  • Reply 24 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

So has every hypochondriac who ever lived!

That's cute, but this is the truth.

Where is the largest computer trade show in the world today? I'm talking about Comdex, in case you haven't heard of it.

What about the big computer trade show here in NYC that we had every year, PC Expo, which attracted at its peak, 90,000 people?

Well, that's gone too.

So are many others.

Where is the East Coast Macworld?

I can keep naming trade shows that are no longer here, but you should be getting the point.

Manufacturers have been sending less people to these shows, and customers have been sending less people to these shows. After a point, the show becomes too small to survive.

The internet is helping this happen. It's too easy to get the info you could only easily get at a trade show. It's also updated constantly.

The same thing is happening to specialty technology magazines.

The latest to drop their paper copy is PC Magazine. It's now only on the internet.

Same thing with BYTE years ago.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

Where is the largest computer trade show in the world today? I'm talking about Comdex, in case you haven't heard of it.

What about the big computer trade show here in NYC that we had every year, PC Expo, which attracted at its peak, 90,000 people?

Well, that's gone too.

So are many others.

I can keep naming trade shows that are no longer here, but you should be getting the point.

Manufacturers have been sending less people to these shows, and customers have been sending less people to these shows. After a point, the show becomes too small to survive.

The internet is helping this happen. It's too easy to get the info you could only easily get at a trade show. It's also updated constantly.

The latest to drop their paper copy is PC Magazine. It's now only on the internet.

Fair enough. I remember the days when we'd be hanging out for Byte to arrive. \
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:

Well, the largest computer and it technology trade show still is taking place in Germany and is called CeBit.

Did Apple came to the CeBit at all? No, the didn't. So I think it's not so special when Adobe won't be at at Macworld 09 - companies mainly spend money on things the think are useful to their business goals. Obviously Macs are not a major goal of Adobe any more, sitting in the second row.

Apple is going strong in consumer electronics, leaving pros aside. Adobe is still serving pros...
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:

Dying quickly and painfully. I attended the London Creative Expo back in October. Up until this year it was the Mac Expo but they had to combine Mac/Creative/Linux into one expo. Even so it was a pitiful show, especially compared to previous years. Adobe was the only major company at the show-Apple and Microsoft were nowhere to be found. About 2/3s of the floor space was dedicated to user groups and a couple of local hardware/software vendors. If I hadn't gotten a free pass to the floor I probably would have pretty upset.

I guess in the future I'll have to hang a cup holder onto the edge of my monitor and be satisfied watching Steve Jobs from afar.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:

Well, that's gone too.

So are many others.

How about MacWeek? I still have a few copies of it sitting around. It's hard to believe that they could churn out such a large WEEKLY publication. The Internet certainly killed that sort of publication.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Abobe is scared to face the wrath of users after releasing CS4 a mere 14 months after CS3 was released. Abobe used to go 3 years between releases. I guess ever since they gobbled up Macromedia and became a monopoly in pro graphics software they figure they can get away with charging what they want, as often as they want. They're just a bunch of rapists, IMO.

So, when CS 4 was released your copies of CS 3 quit working?
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:

Well, that's gone too.

So are many others.

Don't forget that newspapers are also hurting and/or dying. The internet is taking a huge toll on publications. One can go to Adobe's website and get excellent video tutorials for their products, and they 're free. That cuts costs for vendors as well as trade show attendees. The hand writing is on the wall. Not that I don't love trade shows, but then I also loved train travel which is also nothing but a shadow of what used to be.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by K.C. View Post

CS4 is too little, too soon and too expensive.

That's an opinion, not fact. Some pro photo people are loving PS CS 4.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

That's an opinion, not fact. Some pro photo people are loving PS CS 4.

I know of a couple who thinks its a great improvement

• Reply 33 of 50
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Many have said it before and I'm going to say it again. This is especially relevant in this down economy with Apple having a boat-load of cash to take advantage of the situation. Apple would benefit greatly from the purchase of Adobe. Their tools would complement Apple's quite well. Plus their developer work-force is highly prized.

Go for it Apple!
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:

So, when CS 4 was released your copies of CS 3 quit working?

The problem is not that our CS3 installs have quit working. I work for an advertising agency, and when we're forced to upgrade because Adobe has arbitrarily decided to change native file formats generated by their current products, it costs us $30,000 to upgrade all of our workstations--and we're a small agency. And to do it after only 14 months since CS3 was introduced is robbery. It's naked corporate greed, pure and simple. If we don't upgrade we will not be able to open and work with files we receive from vendors and clients who are using CS4. This is essentially a tax that Adobe has imposed on the pro graphics community so they can pad their bottom line. It's completely unnecessary from a functionality standpoint. It's a case of them using their monopoly status to bully their customers into upgrading.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Unless Adobe is going to start releasing software for the iPhone, why would they give a shit about attending Macworld?
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zauner View Post

Well, the largest computer and it technology trade show still is taking place in Germany and is called CeBit.

Did Apple came to the CeBit at all? No, the didn't. So I think it's not so special when Adobe won't be at at Macworld 09 - companies mainly spend money on things the think are useful to their business goals. Obviously Macs are not a major goal of Adobe any more, sitting in the second row.

Apple is going strong in consumer electronics, leaving pros aside. Adobe is still serving pros...

Yes, CeBit is the largest now. But even CeBit is shrinking.

Companies have been cutting back for years. Business no longer has the cushion it once had. Now, with the worldwide recession, which will be a bad one, there will be even more cutbacks, shrinking the time before more shows go under.

I used to design and build things for Showtime for the Cable Network trade shows held around the country. There used to be at least a half dozen of these very big, and expensive shows held every year. Now it's down to two.

Last year's NAB was smaller.

This is only going to continue.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by night9hawk View Post

Dying quickly and painfully. I attended the London Creative Expo back in October. Up until this year it was the Mac Expo but they had to combine Mac/Creative/Linux into one expo. Even so it was a pitiful show, especially compared to previous years. Adobe was the only major company at the show-Apple and Microsoft were nowhere to be found. About 2/3s of the floor space was dedicated to user groups and a couple of local hardware/software vendors. If I hadn't gotten a free pass to the floor I probably would have pretty upset.

I guess in the future I'll have to hang a cup holder onto the edge of my monitor and be satisfied watching Steve Jobs from afar.

This is what happened to the PC Expo here in NYC the last years of it's existence. First, they incorporated the Business Expo, which was separate, by allowing you to go to both shows. Then they made it part of the main show. Then they added another separate show, the name of which I forget. Each time, however, total attendance shrunk.

This was a show that IBM had a vast exhibit to, Motorola had, Intel had, etc.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by night9hawk View Post

How about MacWeek? I still have a few copies of it sitting around. It's hard to believe that they could churn out such a large WEEKLY publication. The Internet certainly killed that sort of publication.

MacWeek was major. MacUser combined with Macworld, though the size kept shrinking.

I still have hundreds of older magazine that I keep for historical purposes. Creative Computing. MacUser. Macworld.Publish, BYTE. Desktop Publishing, Popular Computing, Adobe Magazine. STart Magazine (Atari St), etc.

All gone, except for Publish, which has nothing to do with it anymore, ironically.

Remember Computer Shopper? I don't know if that's still around.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Quote:

Don't forget that newspapers are also hurting and/or dying. The internet is taking a huge toll on publications. One can go to Adobe's website and get excellent video tutorials for their products, and they 're free. That cuts costs for vendors as well as trade show attendees. The hand writing is on the wall. Not that I don't love trade shows, but then I also loved train travel which is also nothing but a shadow of what used to be.

The internet changed everything. EVERYTHING. And it will never go back.

I remember that I used to PAY to get 3.5" floppies every month with the latest shareware and freeware for my Mac. It cost plenty too. I didn't mind, because you could never find it otherwise.

Updates and upgrades. Sheesh! We often wouldn't find out about them for months after they were released. Waiting for a monthly mag to mention it. Wait for the mag to tell us what was the latest news. Try to get them on floppies, and then on CD's. We used to have to pay for updates as well. We expected that, because it cost to burn them to the disks, package them, and mail them out.

Now? Everything's so fast on the 'net, that even the updates meant to fix problems have problems, because people expect them NOW. Companies can no longer take the time to do it right, knowing that most users didn't even know about it. We find out about a problem with something that came out Monday morning, Monday afternoon, and expect a fix sometime Tuesday. No wonder companies go crazy.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Many have said it before and I'm going to say it again. This is especially relevant in this down economy with Apple having a boat-load of cash to take advantage of the situation. Apple would benefit greatly from the purchase of Adobe. Their tools would complement Apple's quite well. Plus their developer work-force is highly prized.

Go for it Apple!

No, they won't.