Rumor: Wal-Mart to sell 4GB iPhone for $99

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Really, it's part of human nature to buy overpriced shit? Right after procreation and self-preservation?

Or is it more likely conditioned behavior from living in a society where people are taught that "you are what you own"?

I think it is a combination of both. Men learn that they procreate more if

they make displays of wealth in front of women. I don't know if an iPhone

fits into this theory, but Aston-Martins, designer clothes, and gold jewelry

seem to.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Actually, as of halfway through November, it is the best selling PHONE (in the USA).

Then I stand corrected (and impressed)

Kris
  • Reply 43 of 78
    I believe the sale of any Apple product at Wal-Mart cheapens Apple's image.
  • Reply 44 of 78
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You know, the whole "Apple elitist" thing is pretty tired and deserves to go to the same pasture as Joe the Plumber.

The idea that the sells-like-hotcakes-at-multiple-vendors-for-the-same-or-less-price-as-the-competition-iPhone is some kind of trendy frou-frou hipster accessory that only the Steve Jobs sheeple can be conned into buying is factually ridiculous and basically makes no sense, beyond the usual reflexive smug Apple snark that a few people around here are addicted to.

It's a mass market device. That's the beauty of it-- Apple took what actually was an "elitist" niche category and turned it into a phone for Mom and Dad.

You'll notice that the ad campaigns for all those presumably non-elitist iPhone wannabes are heavy on the mystique and sex and youth, while the iPhone is invariably peddled for what it can do, and how easy it is to do it, in distinctly "average joe" terms.

From the way they are marketed, the Storm, for instance, is a vastly more "elitist" piece of kit than the iPhone, which aspires to the ubiquity of the iPod.

Will Apple sell an iPhone at Walmart? I have no idea. But if they don't, it won't have anything to do with some stupid meme about how that can't afford to alienate their hipster base.
  • Reply 45 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

There's no way Apple will make a 4 GB iPhone for Walmart. Here's why:

- Apple never makes special editions of anything. The closest thing they have is a (RED) iPod they sell exclusively at Apple.

- They discontinued the original 4 GB iPhone because no one wanted it. Even then, Jobs said no one wanted a phone that small. And now, compared with the rest of the iPhone/iPod lineup, 4GB stacks up even worse.

- While I agree $99 is a great price point, I sincerely doubt Apple's going to hand special pricing to a single retailer, let alone Walmart of all people.

This is never giong to happen.

YOU are wrong, heres why.

U2 iPod

Jobs also said no video iPod, guess what ? there is lots of anecdotal evidence to suggest that LOTs of people, particularly more mature and business users (ie, unlikely to be the demographic that posts here) don't use more than about a Gig of space for music files. crazy, but not everyone needs 160GB of space!! in an iPod/phone.

heres some news you might not have picked up on, Apple is changing, get used to it.

---

it would be "odd" if it happens, but then "what the hells an iPod" - 2001.

Market share, economic downturn, market share, new mini on the way, market share, oh yeah and APP STORE SALES!

Apple users are a funny lot, they LOVE the elite-ness but that means "niche" they want market share, but not if it means they loose the elite-ness. it either blinds them, or drives them crazy.

--

Oh yeah, I'm getting to like my 16Gb iPhone, I don't NEED everything with me at once, BUT I'm holding out for the 64Gb around 2010
  • Reply 46 of 78
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Actually, as of halfway through November, it is the best selling PHONE (in the USA).

The irony is if the phone wasn't tethered to AT&T, Apple might have already driven Microsoft & Palm out of the smart phone business, and RIM might be struggling so badly financially, they could've been snapped up quite cheaply.

The lowest cost plan with iPhone is 450 minutes for a ridiculous $39.99, plus a required data plan at $30 per month. Required! You can't even buy one to use just as a phone & an iPod (like my wife wanted to), you are hereby ordered to procure the data plan. $70 a month for 450 lousy minutes. My current plan with T-Mobile is 5,000 minutes a month for $39.95 including unlimited, free texting, plus the data plan - unlimited minutes - for $19.95. But you don't have to get the data plan if you don't want to, nobody's ordering you around.

Apple could have had a gi-normous market share - we're talking iPod kind of numbers here - 60-70-80% - plus, they probably would've made Nokia & Samsung wobble a bit - if they hadn't blown it by pigeon-holing themselves with ATT.
  • Reply 47 of 78
    I see no reason whatsoever for an 4GB iPhone. NAND Flash is so cheap now that I can't see it saving much money after the fixed costs of changing the production line, however small it may be. More likely, Although I'm not sure if the new ~30/40nm 32Gbit NAND chips (yes I mean gigaBIT as many of these are combined onto one package) are ready to go, I see Apple moving the high-end iPhone to 32GB and relegating the 8GB to $99 Walmart duty.
  • Reply 48 of 78
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

- Apple never makes special editions of anything. The closest thing they have is a (RED) iPod they sell exclusively at Apple.

Oh really? No special editions of anything? There was the 20th Anniversary Mac, only 10,000 made, which qualifies as a special edition. The Mac TV, same reason. The graphite iMac in 1999 was called the Special Edition, and the iBook Graphite in 2000 was also called the Special Edition. Let's not forget the three iPod U2 Special Edition models. Outside the US, there was the Performa 5400/180 Directors Edition (in black), and the PowerBook 550c.

However, it would be stupid to bring back a 4GB iPhone when they were discontinued so soon after their initial release when everyone bought the 8GB.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The iPhone is quickly turning into the RAZR.

The RAZR started its life as a premium product. The original packaging was a work of art and the RAZR v1.0 was very nicely put together.

As time went on, the price was cut again and again. The packaging was streamlined and several metal parts were replaced with plastic parts in the name of cost saving.

Each price cut meant that a larger demongraphic of people could afford the phone. What started life as a premium geek phone ended up being one of the biggest selling phones of all time. The change was remarkable.

Unfortunately Motorola couldn't repeat or sustain this success. Judging by the iPod, Apple will do a lot better.

You are correct. I got my Moto RAZR v3 for FREE with my 2 year Cingular, then ATT contract. It was a well built phone compared to the POS LG phone I had. Even though it was mostly plastic, it was very durable and reliable. But when the phone originally came out, it was $499.
  • Reply 50 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Apple could have had a gi-normous market share - we're talking iPod kind of numbers here - 60-70-80% - plus, they probably would've made Nokia & Samsung wobble a bit - if they hadn't blown it by pigeon-holing themselves with ATT.

I don't think Apple had a lot of bargaining power in the beginning. Remember that they were turned down by cellular carriers before AT&T (then Verizon) agreed to take on the iPhone and even then it was sticky because carriers were used to making demands like not buying music independently of the cell network because they like all that revenue.

The other piece of this is that the iPhone is now cheaper because of subsidy, something AT&T I'm sure was extremely favorable about because they still wanted the exclusivity for their marketing purposes. Apple could have thrown it wide open at that point, but have no doubt Cupertino ran their numbers and figured out they would make more money keeping the arrangement they had (based on what they were being pitched.)

The question becomes - how do you offer it subsidized (and therefore cheap) without locking it to a carrier. Does Apple want the mess that other cell manufacturers have with a AT&T Nokia versus a Sprint Nokia.

I'm not arguing really for that, just pointing out there are some financial reasons to do what they'd do. Fewer people are going to buy a $700 iPhone to take anywhere than a $199 iPhone locked with a local carrier.
  • Reply 51 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kris.white View Post

Fewer people are going to buy a $700 iPhone to take anywhere than a $199 iPhone locked with a local carrier.

You're probably right. However, my wife & I have decided to buy unlocked iPhones and insert some T-Mobile SIM cards. The annual savings over AT&T will more than pay for the added expense. Actually, we'll be ahead financially by month 5. It'll do everything that AT&T's iPhone will do, except the visual voicemail, and since they are personal lines for my wife & I only, voicemail doesn't really matter, we're going to be the only people calling on those lines anyway!

Plus, T-Mobile doesn't order you about like you're their slave, so my wife won't need to pay for a data plan she will never use. All she wants is a phone and an iPod in one device; her company prohibits texting, and she wants to be able to send me a text every once and awhile (we travel constantly). All I want is a second, private mobile phone I can use for text messages also. Neither of us wants to send email (we get more than enough of that crapola daily on our work Blackberrys), nor do we desire to download apps, visit Facebook, watch movies or surf the web.

If some outfit would make a two-line cell phone, it would be the biggest selling handheld ever, almost overnight.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    Quote:

The irony is if the phone wasn't tethered to AT&T, Apple might have already driven Microsoft & Palm out of the smart phone business, and RIM might be struggling so badly financially, they could've been snapped up quite cheaply.

Verizon wasn't going to happen, because Apple wasn't going to go for a Verizon-ified iPhone and Verizon wasn't going to let go of their control freak ways. Sprint wasn't going to happen because, with Verizon out, making a CDMA phone for such a tiny fraction of the world market would have made no business sense. That left the possibility of striking a deal with T-Mobile, and no matter how successful the iPhone might have been with that carrier, it would not have had an appreciable effect on Apple's global market share.

Quote:

The lowest cost plan with iPhone is 450 mi Verizon nutes for a ridiculous $39.99, plus a required data plan at $30 per month. Required! You can't even buy one to use just as a phone & an iPod (like my wife wanted to), you are hereby ordered to procure the data plan. $70 a month for 450 lousy minutes. My current plan with T-Mobile is 5,000 minutes a month for $39.95 including unlimited, free texting, plus the data plan - unlimited minutes - for $19.95. But you don't have to get the data plan if you don't want to, nobody's ordering you around.

Just out of curiosity, what plan is that? The cheapest data plan on T-Mobile's website is $39.99. And I can't see anything that looks like 5,000 minutes for $39.99-- $39.99 appears to get you 600 minutes. Better than ATT, but not by that much and it's a given that the smaller carriers have some enticing deals-- they have to.

I'm not saying you don't have the deal you're describing, just that, if I were phone shopping and comparing plans, I wouldn't be that put off by the differences between ATT and T-Mobile.

Verizon also requires a data plan with certain phones. It just makes sense, in that certain phones are designed to use data. I'm not sure why anyone would want an iPhone to use as a phone and an iPod-- there are much cheaper alternatives that play music just fine, and are probably better phones, too boot.

Quote:

I really don't think that's true, for the reasons above, and given the realities of the market Apple had to work with when they introduced the iPhone.
  • Reply 53 of 78
    Quote:

[...]

This is never giong to happen.

"Apple would never kill off Classic completely."

"Apple will never open brick-and-mortar stores. It would be a disaster."

"Apple will never make the eMac available to non-educational buyers."

"Apple would never get into the music business. They can't legally do it."

"Apple would never offer iPods for Windows users."

"Apple would never discontinue the iPod Mini. It's way too popular."

"Apple would never create their own browser. They need Internet Explorer on the Mac."

"Apple would never offer iTunes for Windows."

"Apple would never create a 24" iMac. It would be too top-heavy."

"Apple would never create their own office suite. It would make Microsoft angry."

"Apple would never offer a headless Mac."

"Apple would never switch to Intel chips."

"Apple will never get into the cell phone market. It's way too competitive."

"Apple will never create another handheld platform. The Newton was a disaster."

"Apple will never let people run Windows on a Mac."

"Apple will never make Safari for Windows."

"Apple will never let developers into the iPhone. It's a security problem."

"Apple would never call something the Macbook Air. That's horrible sounding."

"Apple will never release a 3G iPhone. It's too power-hungry."
  • Reply 54 of 78
    Quote:

I didn't forget the U2 iPod; I see it as being similar to the (RED) iPod -- hey, they both even have Bono! There was (briefly) a Harry Potter iPod, too. Anyway, my point was that the product itself was the same. The "special edition" merely changed the case and added some included extras. They've never made a "Walmart Edition iPod" with half the memory.

The RED iPod is not a special edition. The RED iPod supports a non-profit group. Many companies offer Product Red items. I wouldn't really call that a special edition model. The Harry Potter iPod was odd indeed. It was a standard 4th gen and 5th gen iPod that looked like any other iPod until you flipped it over, but you could only buy it if you also bought the entire audiobook collection. I don't think it was very popular since it required such a significant extra purchase price in order to buy it.

The U2 iPod was a special edition since it was clearly distinctive from the rest of the iPods both in appearance and special engraving on the back. The product RED iPod blends in with all the rest of the Nanos. No one would even realize it was different since they are offered in multi-colors.

They do have a "Walmart Special Edition" iPod. It is called a portable CD player. You import your CD's by inserting them into the player, and you can take it anywhere you go!
  • Reply 55 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Just out of curiosity, what plan is that? The cheapest data plan on T-Mobile's website is $39.99. And I can't see anything that looks like 5,000 minutes for $39.99-- $39.99 appears to get you 600 minutes. Better than ATT, but not by that much and it's a given that the smaller carriers have some enticing deals-- they have to.

I'm not saying you don't have the deal you're describing, just that, if I were phone shopping and comparing plans, I wouldn't be that put off by the differences between ATT and T-Mobile.

You have to be grandfathered in, it's not something available for someone off the street. T-Mobile is unlike the other carriers, they reward loyalty and longevity. I've been a T-Mobile customer since back in the days when they were Voice Stream (my SIM card still says Voice Stream) - going back to 1995.

Other carriers actually punish existing customers. Prior to cell phones, I had AT&T car phone service (analog). I quit them when they started giving big discounts to any yahoo who walked in off the sidewalk but offered zip zilch zero to loyal, existing customers who paid their bills month after month, on time, every time.

It would cost me well over $300 a month to do on AT&T what I do on T-Mobile for around $85 a month, including taxes. Because of my loyalty discount, and the fact I can add my wife's line for $9.99 a month, it's best we procure unlocked iPhones and just drop a SIM card in.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

"Apple would never kill off Classic completely."

"Apple will never open brick-and-mortar stores. It would be a disaster."

"Apple will never make the eMac available to non-educational buyers."

"Apple would never get into the music business. They can't legally do it."

"Apple would never offer iPods for Windows users."

"Apple would never discontinue the iPod Mini. It's way too popular."

"Apple would never create their own browser. They need Internet Explorer on the Mac."

"Apple would never offer iTunes for Windows."

"Apple would never create a 24" iMac. It would be too top-heavy."

"Apple would never create their own office suite. It would make Microsoft angry."

"Apple would never offer a headless Mac."

"Apple would never switch to Intel chips."

"Apple will never get into the cell phone market. It's way too competitive."

"Apple will never create another handheld platform. The Newton was a disaster."

"Apple will never let people run Windows on a Mac."

"Apple will never make Safari for Windows."

"Apple will never let developers into the iPhone. It's a security problem."

"Apple would never call something the Macbook Air. That's horrible sounding."

"Apple will never release a 3G iPhone. It's too power-hungry."

Apple will never give me a billion dollars. (it's worth a try)
  • Reply 57 of 78
    Quote:

You have to be grandfathered in, it's not something available for someone off the street. T-Mobile is unlike the other carriers, they reward loyalty and longevity. I've been a T-Mobile customer since back in the days when they were Voice Stream (my SIM card still says Voice Stream) - going back to 1995.

Other carriers actually punish existing customers. Prior to cell phones, I had AT&T car phone service (analog). I quit them when they started giving big discounts to any yahoo who walked in off the sidewalk but offered zip zilch zero to loyal, existing customers who paid their bills month after month, on time, every time.

It would cost me well over $300 a month to do on AT&T what I do on T-Mobile for around $85 a month, including taxes. Because of my loyalty discount, and the fact I can add my wife's line for $9.99 a month, it's best we procure unlocked iPhones and just drop a SIM card in.

Sounds like a great deal for long term T-Mobile customers.

It also sounds like comparisons to ATT's iPhone plans aren't very useful, if we're trying to judge relative value.
  • Reply 58 of 78
    I find this thread very interesting because i didnt know there was such a huge suprise that wal mart would be carrying the i phone.

Now i actually have been working at wal mart as a connection center associate for about a year now and its been a very interesting job. I saw it coming and when i read my emails at work about a month ago sure enough they were announcing we would be carrying the iphone sometime late december or early next year. I actually go for training tomorrow at our distribution city in our state. Now from what i hear from our district electronics market manager we will be selling an 8 gig for 199. I highly doubt we will sell a 99 discount 4 gig version (ATLEAST NOT YET). Apple is not going lower the price for wal mart yet, although i could see it happening in the future because let me tell you that would BOOST sales rediculously for all of us, ATT, WAL MART, AND APPLE. If a 4 gig 99 dollar version was released ATT would see probably millions of new customers. Customers wouldnt care they had to pay for a blackberry/PDA data plan plus only get 450 minutes for 70 dollars a month. BECAUSE ITS THE IPHONE. its gonna happen just like that... customers do it now with other popular phones, they just want the phone they dont care how much they gotta pay monthly they are already happy we carry the phone for a lower price compared to everyone else. So if we were to release a 4 gig 99 dollar version we would see doublefold sales for awhile and still keep the sales going for a long time... WE wouldnt even be able to keep demand up, it would be like the WII. (even though nintendo could do better on keeping stock of retailers, they are just keeping demand up).

I got a couple comments towards other peoples statements.

1.TECKSTUD was talking about how the iphone could turn into the RAZR.

My input, beleive it or not the RAZR is still one of the top selling phones for ATT i hear my reps tell me this all the time. THE razr is the geneeric cell phone nowadays. If the i phone were to turn into the razr, seriously, WHATS NEXT?? if the i phone were to turn into how the razr is then we would see a whole new type of cell phone introduced to keep up with fanboys and there love for new and unseen features on cellphones.

2.ADUZIK was mentioning how APPLE wouldnt change the price especally for WAL MART.

MY input, i think u are right. This is why we dont sell APPLE NOTEBOOKS or COMPUTERS becuse i think apple refuses to lower their prices for a single retailer and wal mart doesnt accept that. Although if apple were to give in and cell a 99 iphone it would benefit all three companys. i think it would be a good idea if wal mart were to sell ONLY the 4 gig for 99 and if the customer wants more memeroy than we will send them to corporate ATT store or best buy and let them deal with mail in rebates and higher pries and cocky bullshit best buy associates.

3.benrotheig- "Smart move. This might get some users to buy an iPhone instead of a nano. With AT&T subsidizing the cost, Apple makes a lot more on an iPhone than they do a nano."

INPUT- they already sell a touch for 227.88. i 75 percent of the time upsell a nano for a touch. Only 70 more dollars for MANY more features.

4.WALSHBJ- talkin about the elitist dont wanna see the iphone on GM retailers cell phone kiosks.

INPUT-I think it would benefit apple. APPLE needs to expand there market to cost friendlier consumers and expand there target market. This would allow apple to put there genious into making a brand new phone or notebooks superior to wat they offer now and sell it for expensive prices for the elitelsts or fan boys while offering basic notebooks and cell phones to cheaper target market lets say a 99 dollar i phone or a ??699 dollar notebook?? dont know to much about apples and there current price points. All i know is i havent bought a MACBOOK yet cause there to expensive. i would really like one though.

BOTTOM LINE... a 99 dollar i phone would help WAL MART, ATT, and APPLE. This would be good for WAL MART and APPLE im not necessarily sure if ATT would take advantage of customers with improved sales from a 99 dollar i phone or help there new and existing customers by offerng lower data plans and better minute plans.

I would like to clear up...WAL MART has been a good company to work for. Im a 20 year old male straight out of high school about to join the army and wal mart is the best job i have ever had.. been working there since i was 18. SURE, ive had problems with management and other things but thats everywhere you work. I have MATCHING 401K, STOCK PURCHASE PLAN which the company matches me 15 percent every year. DECENT HEALTH BENEFITS. doctor visits plus 2 dentist appointments per year. LIFE INSURANCE for 100K. MANY DIFFERENT BENEFITS I CAN CHOOSE FROM. plus not to mention JOB SECURITY....WAL MARTS THE ONLY COMPANY RIGHT NOW PROFITING due to our excellent marketing strategys and low prices. PLUS IF U HAVE A IQ OF 90 OR BETTER AND VERY GOOD COMMON SENSE/CUSTOMER SERVICE. u are gaurenteed to move up in the company. SMALL RETAILERS FUCK YOU OVER, its happend to me and many other people. WAL MART has already dealed with lawsuits over pissed off workers, so MOST of the time they treat there associates very well.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Verizon wasn't going to happen, because Apple wasn't going to go for a Verizon-ified iPhone and Verizon wasn't going to let go of their control freak ways. Sprint wasn't going to happen because, with Verizon out, making a CDMA phone for such a tiny fraction of the world market would have made no business sense. That left the possibility of striking a deal with T-Mobile, and no matter how successful the iPhone might have been with that carrier, it would not have had an appreciable effect on Apple's global market share.

Verizon also requires a data plan with certain phones. It just makes sense, in that certain phones are designed to use data. I'm not sure why anyone would want an iPhone to use as a phone and an iPod-- there are much cheaper alternatives that play music just fine, and are probably better phones, too boot.

I really don't think that's true, for the reasons above, and given the realities of the market Apple had to work with when they introduced the iPhone.

TMOBILE is has a data plan of straight up 20 bucks a month pda or not. i know this cause ive had tmobile for the past 4 years. only problem with tmobile is they aren expanding there network coverage very much and are concentrating on expanding there 3G network. Also tmobile lacks download speeds compared to the other 3 (sprint, att, verizon). the 39.99 plan you were lookin at is probably PC card for laptops. SPRINT, ATT, AND VERIZON charge 60 dollars a month for 5GB allowance or 40 dollars a month for 50 meg allowance) VERIZON has the best broadband card in my oppionion with FAST speeds. TMOBILES card isnt broadband even thouhg i havent tried it in a major city where they would offer faster speeds. ALSO GREAT THING ABOUT TMOBILE, I CAN USE MY WINDOWS DEVICE AND SYNC TO MY COMPUTER TO GET AN INTERNET CONNECTION WITHOUT A TETHERING PLAN WHICH COSTS 30-40 DOLLARS A MONTH FOR OTHER COMPANIES. TMOBILE IS THE ONLY COMPANY THAT IS CHARGE FREE FOR TETHERING. A.K.A (PHONE AS A MODEM)
  • Reply 60 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cellphoneguru View Post

1.TECKSTUD was talking about how the iphone could turn into the RAZR.

My input, beleive it or not the RAZR is still one of the top selling phones for ATT i hear my reps tell me this all the time. THE razr is the geneeric cell phone nowadays. If the i phone were to turn into the razr, seriously, WHATS NEXT?? if the i phone were to turn into how the razr is then we would see a whole new type of cell phone introduced to keep up with fanboys and there love for new and unseen features on cellphones.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the RAZR were AT&T's best-selling phone. I have an AT&T RAZR, purchased in January of this year, that was $50 with a $50 rebate, making it effectively free with the plan. So this thing that was a luxury phone when it came out, is now the freebie. And for a freebie, I think it's pretty good. It may be technically outdated, but it still looks nice and works well for all the basic features.

So it wouldn't surprise me if Apple introduced a $99 (with plan, of course) iPhone. They want the iPhone to take over the mobile phone market, not just the smartphone segment of the market. To do that, they need to make it cheaper, and that may mean a lower-capacity version.

You ask what's next, but the difference between this and the RAZR is that the iPhone would still have higher capacity "luxury" versions that cost more. It would be a bad idea for Apple to stratify the iPhone line on any features other than capacity, too. The storage difference is enough.