Apple's smartphone share closer to 13%, still ahead of Microsoft

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Ah, I spoke too soon.

If you are tired of the iPhone why visit the iPhone section of an Apple enthusiast website. I don't go to Nokia enthusiast websites complaining about Nokia.

A lot of Mac enthusiasts think the iPhone sucks- so get over it. This isn't an iPhone enthusiast website.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It is surprising to see Palm OS up 103%. I don't know of anyone who likes Palm or has Palm and plans to stay with them. That's quite a turn-of-events from just a few years ago.

Count me as one! I love my Palm Centro and intend to stick with Palm for a while. (It's quite an upgrade from my Palm IIIxe - USB being one of the nicest, serial is a pita to get working in Leopard )

I know, I know, it's blasphemy to post that I like a non-iPhone in an iPhone forum on an Apple-based website.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    That doesn't mean you absolutely have to come to the section marked iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

A lot of Mac enthusiasts think the iPhone sucks- so get over it. This isn't an iPhone enthusiast website.

• Reply 24 of 50
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

Count me as one! I love my Palm Centro and intend to stick with Palm for a while. (It's quite an upgrade from my Palm IIIxe - USB being one of the nicest, serial is a pita to get working in Leopard )

I know, I know, it's blasphemy to post that I like a non-iPhone in an iPhone forum on an Apple-based website.

I think you're well clear of any problems there. I really haven't seen anyone complain about something like that here, except maybe in cases where the person is being an ass, the real problem is the ass part, not the part about liking the non-iPhone product. I've mentioned my previous affinity to my Palm-based Zodiac in the past, no one has ripped me new ones for that. It was quite nice as a PDA, quick & efficient, lag free on most apps and no time based animations slowing things down. Just no phone feature and the media player wasn't very good in terms of organization, meaning still needing a nano and a separate phone. It's too bad that Palm had such a hard time transitioning to phones, among other things. I'm using an iPhone now, so that ship has sailed as far as I am concerned.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    I concur as long as you are reasonable, Palm works for you and their is nothing wrong with that.

I had a friend who was asking my advice between an iPhone and the Blackberry Bold. From what he described as his needs my advice was that the Bold should work better from him. That is what he bought.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

• Reply 26 of 50
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Ah, I spoke too soon.

If you are tired of the iPhone why visit the iPhone section of an Apple enthusiast website. I don't go to Nokia enthusiast websites complaining about Nokia.

I didn't, this was on the main page.

Plus the articles here are so full of mistakes, it is my duty to help correct them...
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It is really simple, any smart phone = need voice and data plan = you pay monthly fee regardless of carrier = $1700+ over two years with or without contract or whether locked or not. How much you pay a month has nothing to do with your contract obligation. Even if you travel overseas you will pay money for data and voice. Choice have nothing to do with money here. Yes you might be saving $5 a month if you use another carrier, but you will still pay close to $65 for data and voice with T-Mobile (the only other choice).

I have a smart phone, and I have no fixed contract for voice or data, I can prepay on both, no cancellation fee, no unlocking fee
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Come on!! you are trying to say that $500 Nokia or SE is as attractive to customers as $199 iPhone or BB?! You still pay $300 more with a $500 phone (In the US that is).

It depends on the country, Apple always prices their products cheaper in the US, than other countries. In my current country, to buy an iPhone in a similar environment to what my Nokia is would cost me ?200 more, and it is still locked to that network.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Did I miss an announcement or what? Last time I checked Apple was only making the iPhones, but you never know ...
  • Reply 30 of 50
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

It depends on the country, Apple always prices their products cheaper in the US, than other countries. In my current country, to buy an iPhone in a similar environment to what my Nokia is would cost me ?200 more, and it is still locked to that network.

i think it's because your nokia masters pay you for your posts in phones...
  • Reply 31 of 50
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

That doesn't mean you absolutely have to come to the section marked iPhone.

I don't nor does anybody else. The threads at AI are listed generically on the main page and don't differentiate what "section" they pertain to. And iPhone isn't even mentioned in the title of this particular thread. If you want a website for iPhone fanboys only perhaps you should create one yourself.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:

From 16% to 13%?? Who's paid to make that kind of error? That's not even funny.

JOB... that's funny.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

And iPhone isn't even mentioned in the title of this particular thread.

For future reference, any AI article title that mentions "smartphone" is going to heavily reference the iPhone.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I think Apple's going to have to move beyond the "one size fits all" approach to phones before they can attack the rest of the market. They need a smaller phone that doesn't do multitouch and has your basic keyboard or qwerty.

Didn't work for Palm. That would also complicate compatibility. The Centro is smaller and cheaper than the Treo. I thought the Treo was the best. I preferred the PalmOS, and never bothered with Microsoft. Palm was great with Graffiti, and an external folding fullsize keyboard was awesome. I type better on the iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

These #s bring back memories do anyone remember this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5oGaZIKYvo

Funny clip. Their strategy isn't working too well.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

I think Apple's going to have to move beyond the "one size fits all" approach to phones before they can attack the rest of the market. They need a smaller phone that doesn't do multitouch and has your basic keyboard or qwerty.

Quote:

This assumes Apple wants to dominate the rest of the market. So far their is no indication that is their desire.

I think they are going to follow their Mac business strategy and stay with the most profitable part of the market. Not bother with the thin margin profit risking bottom of the market.

Of course, we heard the same thing about the iPod way back when. Didn't really work out that way. Apple did end up making lower-priced iPods, and they wound up dominating the market at pretty much ALL pricepoints, not just the top.

And booyah on them for doing so. Love my Shuffle at the gym.

In any case, the smartphone market is 150 million units or so per year. The general cellphone market is a billion plus. At some price/profit level, it may make sense for Apple to go after the broader market.

• Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:

Now that the iPhone is doing so well, few of the Europeans who used to deride the iPhone and North America are not actively posting anymore.

I think finally getting a 3G iPhone out helped mollify a lot of 'em. Heck, the Euros are even starting to get MMS on iPhones now (hi Sweden).

• Reply 37 of 50
    Quote:

You're kidding, right? This so is an iPhone enthusiast website.

And you don't have to say the iPhone sucks to find that out in a hurry. Merely offer constructive criticism (along the lines of "I like the iPhone, but it would be better if Apple would...") and watch how many ppl get insta-butthurt, or some variation thereof.

That isn't everybody at AI, but it is a pretty large subset.

• Reply 38 of 50
    Who else finds it hilarious that iPhone marketshare is beating Windows Mobile marketshare, even though Apple's only been in the market for a year and a half, while 'mighty Microsoft' has had most of the decade to push WinMo down everyone's throat, and has largely failed.

• Reply 39 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Of course, we heard the same thing about the iPod way back when. Didn't really work out that way. Apple did end up making lower-priced iPods, and they wound up dominating the market at pretty much ALL pricepoints, not just the top.

I don't remember hearing that. Who was saying that Apple was not going to diversify the iPod?

Apple got into the mp3 market early enough to dominate it across the board. Apple set the tone for the mp3 market in a way its unable to in mobile phones. All iPod models make Apple direct profit, none are loss leaders for a long term service the way mobile phones are.

Quote:

In any case, the smartphone market is 150 million units or so per year. The general cellphone market is a billion plus. At some price/profit level, it may make sense for Apple to go after the broader market.

We've seen clear example of how you can destroy your business going for the broader market.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    The problem is that not all of us agree its reasonable criticism. The criticism is often qualified with "Apple would sell more iPhones if they had......" or "Apple is so stupid that they did not include every function that every other phone has". Their is no evidence this criticism is anything more than a single persons opinion. Which does not mean Apple would have actually sold more phones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Y

And you don't have to say the iPhone sucks to find that out in a hurry. Merely offer constructive criticism (along the lines of "I like the iPhone, but it would be better if Apple would...") and watch how many ppl get insta-butthurt, or some variation thereof.

That isn't everybody at AI, but it is a pretty large subset.