iPhoto, Aperture and Time Machine

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just had a really nasty thought...

Apparently iPhoto '08 has gone the way of Aperture, and now all photos are stored inside a single file/package. I haven't yet bought the new version of iLife to confirm, but does anybody else know if this is true?

If so, I find the whole idea of storing all media inside one huge file quite odd and backward. Microsoft products such as Entourage use this method, and everyone constantly complains about it.

Then it occurred to me - someone mentioned Entourage doesn't work properly with Time Machine, since Time Machine has to update the entire database file each time. Therefore, every time you receive or delete an email, Time Machine has to create an entire new backup of that huge file. So is the same true of iPhoto and Aperture? Could it be that Apple have "pulled a Microsoft" and made its products incompatible with each other?

Can anyone confirm this? Seems very backward to me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Not exactly.

iPhoto seems to store things in a package - meaning there's individual images and other files inside of it. Time Machine (from what I've seen) can read into a package and just back up whats changed like it does for all other files. I keep an eye on how much is being backed up when I do a TM backup and it's never once replaced my entire iPhoto library file.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ahhh that's cool then. I'm still not sure if I like the idea of all my photos being stuffed in a package. What do other people feel about this? Doesn't it make the whole thing a little incompatible with other apps and platforms? What happens if you just want to access some of your photos from a PC on the network?

Is there a specific reason for having done this?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    I'm guessing they did it because people would go into the iPhoto Library Folder and do things that in the end would break iPhoto. As iPhoto has grown the its library structure has gotten more and more complex containing icon caches, iPod caches, temp files, etc. Just more things to visual confuse the user, better of just hiding them. And now in leopard accessing your iPhoto pictures is even easier because due to the integration into the open and save dialogs. ''

Someone I know who switched to the Mac was amazed by the ease they could now upload photos online, just click upload and their iPhoto library is presented to them as they organized it not as some arcane folder structure that they have to poke around. They were used to opening their photo app on windows then copy the file to upload to the desktop then use that location to upload then delete that temp file. This saved them these crazy steps.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

ahhh that's cool then. I'm still not sure if I like the idea of all my photos being stuffed in a package. What do other people feel about this? Doesn't it make the whole thing a little incompatible with other apps and platforms? What happens if you just want to access some of your photos from a PC on the network?

Is there a specific reason for having done this?

Packages, when viewed with Windows, show up as folders so you can still browse in the way one used to before this new iPhoto
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post

Someone I know who switched to the Mac was amazed by the ease they could now upload photos online, just click upload and their iPhoto library is presented to them as they organized it not as some arcane folder structure that they have to poke around. They were used to opening their photo app on windows then copy the file to upload to the desktop then use that location to upload then delete that temp file. This saved them these crazy steps.

Hmmm - now I have a dilemma. I've been making the move from iPhoto to Lightroom because I was getting fed up with iPhoto's lack of support for tagging. Keywords just doesn't cut it for me but I'm torn because iPhoto obviously ties in much better with other Apple apps...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    I think Aperture supports being access from Open and Save dialogs, maybe look into that?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Yeah I will have to revisit Aperture thanks... Now they are on version 2. I gave up on version 1 because it was total bloatware, pure and simple. I can't remember how much disk space it required but it was hyuuuge. Not to mention it pretty much ran my MB at 100% processor, fans going mental, just to look at some photos. I wasn't overstruck by the interface either, all the Apple Pro apps seem to have mini grey everything (mini grey dropdowns, mini grey buttons, mini grey sliders)... Lightroom looks and feels much nicer, and the installer is only about 40MB. Just a shame the integration isn't there!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Hello guys,

I got a little question:

When I am using Iphoto it automaticly stores all the pictures I load into there in the Iphoto library. It does this by storing it in maps under the program of Iphoto library. But, I can't seem to acces these maps through time machine. The people at the mac shop told me at first to just browse a bit so I would find the maps . I did, They are under the program Iphoto library. Then I went back, Annother employee told me to rightclick, and then use the "show packet content". This works in finder, but in time machine I can't use my right clicking....

How do I get photo's back using time machine that are stored in Iphoto library?

ps. If I bumped a really old thread, I am very sorry.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elf_Fantasy View Post

How do I get photo's back using time machine that are stored in Iphoto library?

1. Open iPhoto

2. Click the time machine icon on your doc

3. Browse back in time to find your lost Pics.

• Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post
    1. Open iPhoto

2. Click the time machine icon on your doc

3. Browse back in time to find your lost Pics.

Thanks allot! This helped me allot!

Does this work for other programs? (like entourage, mail, etc etc?)