More big names downsizing, pulling out of Macworld Expo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

recession is a nice buzzword everyone uses these days; I'd say it's clearly a message to apple.

Get a life. Firewire is dead.

Uh, firewire?
  • Reply 22 of 43
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MuncyWeb View Post

I can only hope that these circumstances bring about a desire to inform ourselves about what is really going on.

CarolinaLiberty.com

Aim at the roots.

You and your Cracker buddies down in Carolina have all the answers!

• Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A faltering global economy is expected to take its toll on trade shows next year and January's Macworld will be no exception, with more big names planning to downsize their presence or pulling out altogether, AppleInsider has learned.[/url][/c]

MacWorld Expo and trade shows in general were relevant BEFORE the internet, company web sites and downloadable spec sheets, etc. Aside from a few computer magazines, it was the best way to discover new products and tools. Even magazines publish months old "news".

If you keep up with news related to any industry, there really isn't much new stuff to see. Yes, demos are nice, as is face time with company reps.

The last MacWorld Expo I went to was a big disappointment. Why? Because I already knew about most of the "new" items being displayed. Sure, there were a few things I'd never seen before, but it felt like a real waste of time for me. Luckily it was only a short subway ride for me.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

MacWorlds have sucked anyway ever since they left NYC. Who wants to go to SF with all their bag people anyway? Beautiful geographically- but really.

Personally, I miss the Boston MacWorld. Those were always my favorite in the late 80's. I was sad when they moved it to NYC.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    It's interesting to note that a company like Adobe that has charged a horrendous price for software (CS etc) that I agree isn't bad - but is now quick to turn away from the customer that made it what it is...

Perhaps Apple will have some new cheaper art tool soon that is easier for the masses and doesn't cost about 2 grand!

Sincerely.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Hey, as long as Apple doesn't pull out then the show may be worth it.

I actually don't mind a few of the bigger names pulling out. We are all familiar with their products and know how to find them. I'd much rather that noise be removed so the smaller vendors can be found. Each year that I go, I find a new small company that can really help my company and I'm glad to make that connection.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It would be sweet if the reason Adobe is pulling its presence at MacWorld is because Apple will announce that they are purchasing them.

Really sweet
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

You and your Cracker buddies down in Carolina have all the answers!

Just trying to learn a little that's all. It's one thing to hear about the laws, bailouts, etc. on the news. It's another to actually read the legislation that is being enacted in this country. Pick and make fun if you will, I've heard it before -- and so have the people who predicted all this from the beginning. I don't have all the answers, but I'm actively searching. I figure that's a fairly responsible thing to do.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson, 1816
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

MacWorld Expo and trade shows in general were relevant BEFORE the internet, company web sites and downloadable spec sheets, etc. Aside from a few computer magazines, it was the best way to discover new products and tools. Even magazines publish months old "news".

If you keep up with news related to any industry, there really isn't much new stuff to see. Yes, demos are nice, as is face time with company reps.

The last MacWorld Expo I went to was a big disappointment. Why? Because I already knew about most of the "new" items being displayed. Sure, there were a few things I'd never seen before, but it felt like a real waste of time for me. Luckily it was only a short subway ride for me.

I agree. The trade shows are pretty pointless these days, any kind of trade show. Now with the internet and streaming video, Apple could save a bundle and do the keynote on their own campus. They broadcast it over the internet and make it available for download on iTunes for anyone to watch in the comfort of their own home. Why waste money for the ticket and travel when you can get all the details over the internet, and then visit a company's website for more info? Now with Apple Stores pretty much everywhere, you can go see the product in person without having to pay for a trade show.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Personally, I miss the Boston MacWorld. Those were always my favorite in the late 80's. I was sad when they moved it to NYC.

I was too

• Reply 31 of 43
    I live in San Francisco so I do not need to travel. That said I enjoy the show. I enjoy the presentation from SJ each year. He is a master presenter. As for Adobe? Where is flash for the iPhone? Is that a bone of contention between Apple and Adobe? Is there a political motive for this pull out? Time will tell how this all plays out. I just wonder what SJ and Apple have for that "One More Thing? LOL
  • Reply 32 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

Uh, firewire?

It's called sarcasm
  • Reply 33 of 43
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I agree. The trade shows are pretty pointless these days, any kind of trade show. Now with the internet and streaming video, Apple could save a bundle and do the keynote on their own campus. They broadcast it over the internet and make it available for download on iTunes for anyone to watch in the comfort of their own home. Why waste money for the ticket and travel when you can get all the details over the internet, and then visit a company's website for more info? Now with Apple Stores pretty much everywhere, you can go see the product in person without having to pay for a trade show.

That works well with software and services, but how about physical products? In this case, Apple isn't the only one with physical products to show. Haven't you ever seen a product online that looked nice that turned out to be undesirable?
  • Reply 34 of 43
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I notice that Belkin are still listed as an exhibitor at CES, so maybe they thought why exhibit at two shows within the space of a week. MacWorld is just Mac products whereas CES is everything. If they have a limited marketing budget it makes sense.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    After the continuous record breaking attendance of these events I'm surprised that so many are pulling out. I feel that their is info that we don't yet have about the real reasoning. Is it still being held at Moscone?
  • Reply 36 of 43
    [QUOTE=robb01;1346333]I was too

I was 'three,' (to the bitter end!)
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neutrino23 View Post

It does look like businesses are cutting expenses everywhere. We had been nervously waiting for this to happen. It seems like the end of September is when stuff hit the fan. I was just visiting a major company two days ago. They have cancelled all travel, all company dinners, lunches, even donuts and coffee at the morning meetings. They can't buy a ball point pen with company money. The hope is to prevent or minimize layoffs. This is as of a few weeks ago.

I heard that the MRS show in Boston this week was very slow. I'm expecting attendance at Pittcon in March will be way down.

This is not just happening at MWSF. Everyone is battening down the hatches getting ready for a storm. The problem is, the more everyone retrenches the less business there is to keep everyone going. It is like a spasm that just has to work itself out. 2009 will be a very tough year. Probably 2010 as well though maybe not as bad. Just a guess.

Specific to MWSF, I'd like to see them work out some sort of a virtual conference. For example, everyone could have an "on-line booth". You'd visit a special website and there you'd drop in on a streaming presentation, listen in on a video iChat between customers and developers, download PDF brochures. The value would be that for several days the vendors would make available engineers and designers. This would lock it down temporally. The value for everyone is that we wouldn't have to travel and burn fossil fuels.

Well...you say that...
  • Reply 38 of 43
    The pricing for exhibitors is just a monopoly position gone wild - over $1,000 just for an internet connection for 4 days, over $100 to hire a stool for 4 days, almost $500 for someone to come and vacuum the booth for 5 minutes each day... it all adds up to a massive bill, and then if you want any sort of publicity or to have your keywords come up in searches on their show search system, the costs are just astronomical.

Maybe this will encourage them to get real about pricing (living in hope...)
  • Reply 39 of 43
    The Seagate that's trading for $4.52 and whose founder once told a startup that there'd never be a hard drive in a commodity device? That Seagate? Oh, well.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    There are also much lesser Asian exhibitors from the given list.

My colleagues and I will not be attending this coming Macworld like what we did this year. The event was significantly smaller than last year and I believe this coming one will be smaller with lesser booths and offerings too.