iPhone app calls a cab when you've drank too much

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
How many times have you found yourself drinking with friends, when suddenly something very irresponsible occurs? One drink too many can lead to a messy bicycle ride back home. We've all been there.

But no need to ever go to that dark corner of reality ever again, now that Last Call (Free, App Store), an app which logs your drinking habits for you and keeps you drinking responsibly, brought to us from the thoughtful people at Avvo.

Here's how it works: as you drink, you input your vices into Last Call, and it instantly calculates your blood alcohol level (based on your weight). If you've gone over the driving limit you can use the app to call to call a taxi, and - if worst comes to worst - the app also allows you to get right in touch with a top local DUI attorney from Avvo.

Now we know what you're thinking: you're going to look like a right dork calculating blood alcohol levels while all your friends are telling excellent workplace anecdotes - but they'll be laughing on the other side of their faces when they're locked up and you're sipping a Martini on your yacht.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:

when you've drunk too much

That's better but the main title still says 'when you've drank too much'. I don't approve of the over-zealous language policing but that phrase is bugging me. When you expand the phrase you can see why:

when you have drank too much

vs

when you have drunk too much

he drank > he has drank > he has drunk

Wait, now they all sound wrong. I need to stop dranking less to make sense of this.

Quote:

as you drink, you input your vices into Last Call, and it instantly calculates your blood alcohol level (based on your weight). If you've gone over the driving limit you can use the app to call to call a taxi

Either that or your going to start arguing with your phone in public about who should get the keys. I love the fact that as you continue to drink, you are going to remember to keep entering each drink into your phone accurately and after exceeding the limit have the sense to actually use the phone to call for a cab.

Instead the app should use the accelerometer to measure your walking ability and use some audio method to detect if you are trying to drive and then play a recorded message by the most irritating person in your life nagging you to call for a cab.

There needs to be an article about the audio apps for the iphone an AI. The one that tells you what song you're listening too and also the one that turns the phone into a flute (ocarina or something) are amazing.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    The liability issue on this are tremendous. For a free app' even.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

The liability issue on this are tremendous. For a free app' even.

I agree

• Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That's better but the main title still says 'when you've drank too much'. I don't approve of the over-zealous language policing but that phrase is bugging me. When you expand the phrase you can see why:

when you have drank too much

vs

when you have drunk too much

he drank > he has drank > he has drunk

Wait, now they all sound wrong. I need to stop dranking less to make sense of this.

I'm really sorry about this I got a tonne of emails about it and now that I've been shamed I will never drink again!