Official Macworld 2009 Prediction Thread

Comments

• Reply 61 of 151
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I doubt they'd make the iMac 'better' than the MBP but I guess given that the MBP has expresscard and can therefore get eSATA, it's a possibility they'd push the iMac in a different direction. I don't see it to be honest. People still need to capture video - it's ok to expect a consumer to switch between a couple of £150 camcorders, it's not ok to expect people to change from a £5000 firewire-only camcorder. Whether the iMac targets that market is questionable but it's likely to some degree and FW is far more use than a high speed link to storage devices.

Wasn't the statement from Jobs on the reason why Apple dropped FireWire from its consumer-based MacBook is because Apple felt that consumer-based camcorders moved from FW to USB? That reasoning also applies to the consumer -based iMac as well. Doesn't it?
  • Reply 62 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Interesting Press release from 1394 Trade Group on Firewire:

What is the 1394 Trade Association suppose to say? Yep! Were dying!

Windows 7 is two years away. Who cares if it is support then. Just because other PC vendors include it on their product doesn't make it a viable I/O port. Look how long it took PC vendors to remove floppy drives from machine.

Go into any consumer electronics retail stores (e.g, CC, BB, OfficeMax, Office Depot, etc.) and tell me how many products you find that support any version of FireWire.
  • Reply 63 of 151
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Windows 7 is two years away.

No, it's between 6-10 months away, shortly after Snow Leopard. The 3-yeartime frame is based on Vista's release date of January 2007.
  • Reply 64 of 151
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    What I'd love to see:

17" Macbook Pro with quad-core processor

Top of the Line Graphics Card

Option for Blu-Ray burner

Option for 500GB Serial ATA @ 7200

Option for Micron 250GB SDD
  • Reply 65 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

What I'd love to see:

17" Macbook Pro with quad-core processor

Top of the Line Graphics Card

Option for Blu-Ray burner

Option for 500GB Serial ATA @ 7200

Option for Micron 250GB SDD

Not going to happen within Ive and Jobs's design philosophy. The 0.95" casing is too thin to cool the 45w quad core CPUs (the new 13 and 15 models use 25w P-series Core 2s) or a top of the line graphics card. The thinest notebook I've seen with a highend graphics card is a 1.3"
  • Reply 66 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Not going to happen within Ive and Jobs's design philosophy. The 0.95" casing is too thin to cool the 45w quad core CPUs (the new 13 and 15 models use 25w P-series Core 2s) or a top of the line graphics card. The thinest notebook I've seen with a highend graphics card is a 1.3"

I almost always use my 17" powerbook while plugged in & it's never on my lap. I'd love a true desktop replacement, even if it were thicker. I wonder what the demand would be for a quad-core 17-19" macbook pro that was 1.25-1.5 inches thick?
  • Reply 67 of 151
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:

I almost always use my 17" powerbook while plugged in & it's never on my lap. I'd love a true desktop replacement, even if it were thicker. I wonder what the demand would be for a quad-core 17-19" macbook pro that was 1.25-1.5 inches thick?

If you are willing to buy a 19", 1.5" thick mackbook, you might was well just get a 20" iMac and take the stand off. Just mount it in a briefcase. If you never use it unplugged, you might as well.
  • Reply 68 of 151
    Quote:

That's why I've been arguing for either limited licensing or a second brand for business and more conventional users. Apple has done a lot of good things in lower end consumer market, but there are a lot of user who would be well served by the OS who don't have their needs met by Apple's artsy form over function design philosophy. There's also the new 18.4" 16:9 laptop panels.
  • Reply 69 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

If you are willing to buy a 19", 1.5" thick mackbook, you might was well just get a 20" iMac and take the stand off. Just mount it in a briefcase. If you never use it unplugged, you might as well.

From having that 20" iMac, it's not designed to be portable at all. and its a great bigger than any brief case I've seen.
  • Reply 70 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

What would I do with that when I visit a client?

Should I get them to hold it up while I work on it?

I think there would be a lot of people that would buy one on the first day like videographers,

photographers, etc.
  • Reply 71 of 151
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

There is no reason to believe that Apple will keep FireWire on the desktop iMac. In fact, I believe the reason why new iMacs weren't introduced last month is because they lack FireWire. Apple didn't want any more bad press... Most folks agree that FireWire will be dropped from the next Mac Mini revision... So I can't imagine why Apple will keep it on the iMac.

Perhaps.. But if 10.6 doesn't offer any new features, what will Steve demo? Its faster?

Since iDVD has been on the downswing for the past two iLife updates, I would like to see a new app added to iLife. Perhaps a simple animation application....

Actually I like the idea idea of a simple animation product that works well with iWeb as well with regard to animating web elements as well.

Quote:

Wasn't the statement from Jobs on the reason why Apple dropped FireWire from its consumer-based MacBook is because Apple felt that consumer-based camcorders moved from FW to USB? That reasoning also applies to the consumer -based iMac as well. Doesn't it?

How many times has Job's flip flopped? He panned flash based DMPs until the Shuffle came out and subsequent flash based Nanos. He's a marketer ..he's going to tell you what he needs to today but don't hold him to that standard for the future.

Firewire is not persona non grata for Apple. I can see their point for not including it in the cramped Macbook and if they have a updated Mac mini ..I could see them jettisoning FW there as well but the iMac has no space issues and really has to cover a wide range of uses. FW is not going anywhere there.

mdriftmeyer

Wow the 1394TA really put it out there didn't they? They even have the Macworld link showing the problems with USB ingesting of HD video LOL.

Back on topic. Had Apple been ready to deliver more hardware mac refreshes I would have said we'll see a LED mini-DisplayPort 20" as well but I think those will hold off until we've got iMac and Mac Pro refreshes.
  • Reply 72 of 151
    I was at engadget.com & noticed a story about a new Medion Laptop:

Akoya P8610 Media Center Laptop ($1100)

18.4" screen @ 1,680 x 945

2GHz Core 2 Duo T5800 processor

4GB of RAM

320GB hard drive

512MB GeForce 9600M GS graphics card that can operate on its own or in hybrid mode

Blu-ray drive

5.1 Dolby audio system

1.3 megapixel camera

3 USB ports

1 eSATA/USB port

1 HDMI port

LAN and VGA

802.11 b/g/draft-n WLAN

Digital TV Tuner

That's a lot to offer for $1100. I'm willing to spend a thousand+ bucks more for a new macbook

pro but at least give me the option for a quadcore chip, blu-ray burner & better graphics card.
  • Reply 73 of 151
    All im really looking forward to is a memory bump in the iphone and i was hoping for MacPro and cinema display update but u guess thats not going to happen
  • Reply 74 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by puzzlehead View Post

All im really looking forward to is a memory bump in the iphone and i was hoping for MacPro and cinema display update but u guess thats not going to happen

Keep dreaming. Apple isn't going to upgrade their iPhone line so soon.
  • Reply 75 of 151
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Boy is it what they will come out with, or what I'd like to see them come out with.

- Mac Cube, but much more rounded corners, maybe some color ceramic look to it.

- Tablet

- Updated Desktop units, with new cases, and maybe colors

- Software up-dates, and a new "Killer App."

- New monitors - finally

- Yes, a look a snow leopard

- Yes an up-date on "Apples" numbers (Market share)

- A teaser

- Hype the "Greenness" of Apples laptops.

- Beatles collection on available from iTunes … yeah right

- What in hell could they come out with, that's new and exciting???

- and then the usual fluff

Nothing to exciting.
  • Reply 76 of 151
    Quote:

part of it was do less port space the imac and mini have the room for firewire.
  • Reply 77 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Keep dreaming. Apple isn't going to upgrade their iPhone line so soon.

Apple won't drop the price of the iPhone- Priced dropped after three months on the market

Apple won't release a phone- Iphone released

Apple won't ever switch to intel CPUs- we switched

Apple won't release a sub-$500 Mac- Mac Mini released.

I guess the more people say that it won't happen, the better chance that it will.
  • Reply 78 of 151
    OK, adding again to my wishlist for Papa Steve (think Life Aquatic):

Tablet/Mac Touch

- 10" touch screen

- Slim and light, obviously no optical drive

- Pop-out rest for standing and laying on a table

- Separate keyboard & mouse (wireless)

- Running full OS X

- Option for HSPA (turbo 3G)

Apple TV, Take 3 software update

- iTunes, making it a stand-alone media server

- Safari

- Keyboard & mouse (wireless)

- External HDs (USB)

- App Store with apps & games (hey, it's X-mas)

iPhone, software update

- Push Notification, IM app demo

- Turn-by-turn navigation, TomTom demo

- Tethering

- USB storage

iTunes

- Flat rate subscription (like Spotify)

Best,

Daniel
  • Reply 79 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post

OK, adding again to my wishlist for Papa Steve (think Life Aquatic):

Apple TV, Take 3 software update

- iTunes, making it a stand-alone media server

- Safari

- Keyboard & mouse (wireless)

- External HDs (USB)

- App Store with apps & games (hey, it's X-mas)

Remember Apple sells its AppleTV product near cost. What you are proposing makes the AppleTV into essentially a very stripped down Mac (yes. technically is was before, but it couldn't be used this way).

You give me a Safari browser, iTunes media, and iTunes App Store apps/games and this could serve as a desktop for a lot of people...

I am not so sure this will happen...

Dave
  • Reply 80 of 151
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Predictions:

There will be new products at MWSF

I won't be in the market for them nor will I be able to afford the ones I might be in the market for.

The above I'm pretty sure on, below are the guesses.

New iMacs with the top two models quad core. The top two models will support large amounts of RAM.

The 17" MBP replacement comes online.

A maxi iPhone or IPod Touch comes online. If this doesn't have more RAM and Flash storage it will die a horrible death in the marketplace. The primary goal for these devices is more screen real estate and much more flash for storage of large media files. They might even call it Newton 2. .

Apple introduces it's first robot. Named Cylon #1 it realizes explosive sales growth. This robot is a sharp looking blonde that has a very acceptable desire to wear resort wear. Ever Maclot out there buys one as it is the only emotional fullfilment to be found for these guys. Eventually Apples new robot realizes that it is smarter than the average Maclot and.....

Dave