App Store shoppers downloading 2.2 million apps per day

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Though arguably still in its infancy, Apple's App Store has already reached a daily run rate that's seen iPhone and iPod touch users combine to download approximately 2.2 million applications every day.

Apple hasn't announced that figure outright, but CNBC's Jim Goldman drew attention to one of the company's advertisement in the New York Times today that says iPhone users have "downloaded over 300 million" applications from the App Store since it launched in July.

The last time the iPhone maker provided an update on App Store downloads was October 21st, when it noted that users would download the 200 millionth app the following day. That means that in just 45 days shoppers have downloaded another 100 million apps, or well over 2 million per day.

Meanwhile, market intelligence firm comScore said Thursday that Apple.com was the 5th most trafficked retail site on Cyber Monday -- the Monday immediately following Black Friday -- with 3.68 million shoppers hitting its store pages, a 43 percent increase from average daily traffic during the month of November.

eBay (12.9 million) took top honors, followed by big-box retailers Amazon.com (9.2 million), Wal-Mart (6.76 million), and Target (4.8 million).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    That would probably double in one day if they added a MMS, video recorder, and tethering app.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The questions are;

How many of these are paid apps,

and,

what is the average price of those apps?

In the past we were told that it was about 50%.

If that's true now, and the average app costs, say, $3, that's about $3,300,000 a day, or about $1.2 billion a year!

That's pretty damn good for only about 12 million phones!

Imagine how many apps will go when there are 50 million out there.

I can see why the app store is considered to be much more important for apple than the iTunes store.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    That's a lot of free "Level" APPs-
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's a lot of free "Level" APPs-

25% of the apps in the store are free. The other 75% are paid apps. I paid for my level app, and it's very good, and helpful.

As I said, if it still holds up, about 50% of the downloads are paid. I've been reading that the average app sells for about $3.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Apple should consider having an app store for the shareware apps it lists. There are many that I have wanted to buy but I don't want to give some company I never heard of my personal information and credit card number. I'd rather give it to Apple and then have Apple send the company the payment.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Apple should consider having an app store for the shareware apps it lists. There are many that I have wanted to buy but I don't want to give some company I never heard of my personal information and credit card number. I'd rather give it to Apple and then have Apple send the company the payment.

Not a bad idea. But, then the companies would have to give Apple a cut (which would be good for Apple, but not so good for the company). I wonder if they aready have to give Apple a cut to be posted on the Shareware site. But then again, if there was a "Shareware store", maybe those small companies would make more money.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    So much for "closed system no one will develop for" and "Apple treat their developers so bad that no one will develop for such closed system"
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

You're talking about shareware for the Mac?
  • Reply 9 of 41
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If that's true now, and the average app costs, say, $3, that's about $3,300,000 a day, or about $1.2 billion a year!

That's pretty damn good for only about 12 million phones!

Imagine how many apps will go when there are 50 million out there.

I can see why the app store is considered to be much more important for apple than the iTunes store.

Is it even realistic to think that there will be an average of $1000 in iPhone app spending a year? I think that's enough to suggest that the trend probably won't continue on that trajectory.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is it even realistic to think that there will be an average of $1000 in iPhone app spending a year? I think that's enough to suggest that the trend probably won't continue on that trajectory.

12 million iphones and $1.2 billion is only $100/year and doesn't account for Touches. Seems reasonable to maintain with new/good apps.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

12 million iphones and $1.2 billion is only $100/year and doesn't account for Touches. Seems reasonable to maintain with new/good apps.

OK, decimal point error on my part, that isn't too bad of an uptake.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    You know, it doesn't matter that much how many are free or paid for downloads. Apple is creating a huge traction with the App Store and maybe a lot are free, but gradually developers will see this as a money spinner for them. The App Store is another Trojan Horse entering the citadel of Nokia et al, just like Apple did with the music companies. It's pretty unbelievable that Apple have got away with the same trick twice. Who cares really, Apple have stolen a huge march on the competition.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

So much for "closed system no one will develop for" and "Apple treat their developers so bad that no one will develop for such closed system"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Looking at the trend, it looks like we've already seen a slight slowing of App Store unit sales. 100k to 200k looks to have taken just under a month, while getting to 300k took about a month and a half. Then consider the additional iPhone sales and new apps in the last 6 weeks. (this assumes that my quick perusing of the previous articles about the App Store milestones is correct)

I'm not saying that the App Store is in trouble or dying, but that there is simply a small plateau occurring. This will likely change right after Xmas, just like every year when people get their iPods and iTS gift cards.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyranay View Post

Not a bad idea. But, then the companies would have to give Apple a cut (which would be good for Apple, but not so good for the company). I wonder if they aready have to give Apple a cut to be posted on the Shareware site. But then again, if there was a "Shareware store", maybe those small companies would make more money.

They would probably make more money selling the app for 99 cents in the Apps store than they would by selling it for $5 as shareware.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Looking at the trend, it looks like we've already seen a slight slowing of App Store unit sales. 100k to 200k looks to have taken just under a month, while getting to 300k took about a month and a half. Then consider the additional iPhone sales and new apps in the last 6 weeks. (this assumes that my quick perusing of the previous articles about the App Store milestones is correct)

I'm not saying that the App Store is in trouble or dying, but that there is simply a small plateau occurring. This will likely change right after Xmas, just like every year when people get their iPods and iTS gift cards.

I noted in another discussion thread that this past Thanksgiving was the first big family holiday in which family members could demo their iPhones with 3rd party software to each other. I know I had a dozen people taking turns playing games on mine all Thanksgiving. One of my teenage nephews was begging my brother-in-law for an iPod Touch afterwards (Sorry bout that Eric!)

I suspect we'll see a big jump BEFORE the holidays then ANOTHER big jump afterwards. With Apple creating new ways to market the apps (you can now give out 50 free download certificates per release, etc) I expect that to continue to increase.

It's kind of a pity, though, that Apple doesn't have some sort of specific-app paid gift certificate program, though. You could go to a wall in the Apple store where cards for all the popular apps/games are hanging, buy them, and give them to your friend for Christmas. The receiver could log on and get the game. I know they have generic cards which are actually MORE useful-- but you might as well write out a check to "cash" for your gift for all the thought that kind of thing shows.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    But wait!!! Where are those anarchists screaming as to how Apple is the Demigod of Evil and how Android will completely make right a twisted system and teach Apple a thing or two about how to run an app store?

Those whiners seems to be a little quiet on this forum at the moment. Seems they are too busy eating their humble pie.

It's great news that the App Store is doing well. Like everything else, there are ups and downs and clearly, the App Store is on the upswing. Will probably settle down after the gift-giving holidays.

At least then, the whiners will then be dancing naked in the dandelion fields singing to Barry Manilow songs rejoicing that Apple is finally on the down-swinging path to destruction.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Hehehe..
  • Reply 18 of 41
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Im sure even Apple didn't expect that. "That changes everything"
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's not that much, as Physguy says. $100 a year isn't much, considering that much of this is likely to be games. My daughter spends several times that for games alone for her other games machines.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The same thing happens to the iTunes store. At certain times of the quarter, sales move up more quickly, and then down a bit, until the next speedup.

When you first buy the device, you are likely to pig out. After that, you may not buy anything for a bit, but then start buying again, abet, at a lower level. Its the average over the quarter that tells the story.