Official Macworld 2009 Prediction Thread

Comments

• Reply 81 of 151
    Quote:

Remember Apple sells its AppleTV product near cost. What you are proposing makes the AppleTV into essentially a very stripped down Mac (yes. technically is was before, but it couldn't be used this way).

You give me a Safari browser, iTunes media, and iTunes App Store apps/games and this could serve as a desktop for a lot of people...

I am not so sure this will happen...

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for your comments.

Near cost? How do we know this? Why would they?

I agree that such an improved Apple TV would perhaps too good, in relation to the rest of the product line. On the other hand, it does fit with the current economic conditions. My prediction/wish is also based on that they would drop the Mac Mini.

Best,

Daniel
  • Reply 82 of 151
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post

Dave,

Thanks for your comments.

Near cost? How do we know this? Why would they?

I agree that such an improved Apple TV would perhaps too good, in relation to the rest of the product line. On the other hand, it does fit with the current economic conditions. My prediction/wish is also based on that they would drop the Mac Mini.

Best,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I got the information here:

http://gizmodo.com/349882/first-proo...ucks-on-itunes

Dave
  • Reply 83 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Apple won't drop the price of the iPhone- Priced dropped after three months on the market

Apple won't release a phone- Iphone released

Apple won't ever switch to intel CPUs- we switched

Apple won't release a sub-$500 Mac- Mac Mini released.

I guess the more people say that it won't happen, the better chance that it will.

I don't know what the hell you're talking about but food for thought:

Quote:

Apple won't release a phone- Iphone released

-- Don't ask me to make such a claim as I wondered what took so damn long.

Quote:

Apple won't ever switch to intel CPUs- we switched

-- I worked there. They always had Intel. It was not never, but when.

Quote:

Apple won't release a sub-$500 Mac- Mac Mini released.

-- starts at $599 and isn't going down in pricing. In fact, it'll soon climb up to $699 or $799 if they add a PCI Express 2.0 slot and throw in a decent GPU for OpenCL, not to mention bump up the CPU to be no more than 12 months behind the current market. And this is without a display, so a Netbook won't do squat for their bottom line.

If Intel isn't into it nor AMD [the people who actually make the CPUs] how hard does one have to ignore reason and embrace fantasy for this to occur?

But have no fear: The fantasy about a 10" tablet touch screen is even more ludicrous. The price and technologies for large productions just aren't available.
  • Reply 84 of 151
    There is something I have to say to get this through people's thick skulls:

APPLE doesn't release a product without at least 2 years of internal design, development, testing and redesign, with an eye on market conditions 6 months ahead of any pending release.

The iPhone was on the drawing board 3 years before they released it.

Let Apple reach 15% in Marketshare before frothing at the mouth about 10" tablets or the even more laughable 8" iPhone.
  • Reply 85 of 151
    Quote:

Apple TV, Take 3 software update:

- iTunes, making it a stand-alone media server

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not what they did with Ver 2.3? When they've added airtunes for airport express support? Does that not mean it will run as a media server without the computer running?Maybe I'm misreading this Apple Insider Article

• Reply 86 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

There is something I have to say to get this through people's thick skulls:

APPLE doesn't release a product without at least 2 years of internal design, development, testing and redesign, with an eye on market conditions 6 months ahead of any pending release.

The iPhone was on the drawing board 3 years before they released it.

Let Apple reach 15% in Marketshare before frothing at the mouth about 10" tablets or the even more laughable 8" iPhone.

Why the rudeness? Let me offer one of my favourite quotes by Bertrand Russell:

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."

Apple's time-to-market might by 2 years for a new type of product, but they could very well have been experimenting with prototype tablets for years.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc54321 View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not what they did with Ver 2.3? When they've added airtunes for airport express support? Does that not mean it will run as a media server without the computer running?Maybe I'm misreading this Apple Insider Article

Well, I'm not running 2.3, but as I understand it you still need another computer running iTunes (sync or stream). I would like my Apple TV to be the center of my media, not an extender.

Best,

Daniel
  • Reply 87 of 151
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Don't forget about the groundbreaking ipod "stick"!

Don't you mean "stuffed"?
  • Reply 88 of 151
    Quote:

Well, I'm not running 2.3, but as I understand it you still need another computer running iTunes (sync or stream). I would like my Apple TV to be the center of my media, not an extender.

Best,

Daniel

That's what I'd like too, that's why I've held off on the Apple TV. I'd be interested to hear if Ver 2.3 did anything about this.
  • Reply 89 of 151
    well, sorta. i needed a computer and internet to set it up, which i did at my office. (i don't have internet at home, i just can't bring myself to pay for it in 2 places). most the time i don''t have a computer running at home and when i do, i don't connect it to appletv. but i have all my music on it, so it serves as a digital media server. i can't download movies from itunes, but i doubt i would anyway. it works for that limited purpose, but again, i had to have a computer and internet for the initial setup. (why apple makes that a requirement is beyond my understanding.) but you most definitely do not need to use a computer to use apple tv to store your audio, video, and picture files and access them through your entertainment center after the initial setup.
  • Reply 90 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdconway View Post

well, sorta. i needed a computer and internet to set it up, which i did at my office. (i don't have internet at home, i just can't bring myself to pay for it in 2 places). most the time i don''t have a computer running at home and when i do, i don't connect it to appletv. but i have all my music on it, so it serves as a digital media server. i can't download movies from itunes, but i doubt i would anyway. it works for that limited purpose, but again, i had to have a computer and internet for the initial setup. (why apple makes that a requirement is beyond my understanding.) but you most definitely do not need to use a computer to use apple tv to store your audio, video, and picture files and access them through your entertainment center after the initial setup.

And are you able to stream from your Apple TV to Airport Express with the new firmware?
  • Reply 91 of 151
    i don't have the airport express. my apple tv is hooked directly to my receiver and my tv. i suspect you would not be able to stream it to the airport express w/o a computer, though i couldn't say for sure.
  • Reply 92 of 151
    carlcarl Posts: 17member
    Just thinking out loud here. It seems this is probably the latest I remember before the show before Apple has made their usual announcement that Steve Jobs would be keynoting the event. Just seems strange. I am heading out for the show and really hope Steve makes it. I sure hope they formally announce it soon.
  • Reply 93 of 151
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carl View Post

Just thinking out loud here.

That's bad, don't do that. He's giving a keynote. The time is already set.
  • Reply 94 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

I will predict or wish:

Mac Pro redesigned case

Cinema Display 24", 30", larger than 30"? redesign like the new 24 but with option for non-glossy screens please!

Mac Mini redesigned. slimmer case.

AppleTV hardware and software update.

iLife and iWork apps.

maybe iPhone 32gig.

Snow Leopard preview

that's it.

That is exactly what I am thinking, with the subtraction of a redone Mac Pro case, doubt that, and as far SL, I think they will unveil the Website Pages for it... I know they already have some but I am thinking about may some full blown layouts..

Laters
  • Reply 95 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's bad, don't do that. He's giving a keynote. The time is already set.

Well now O'Reilly has picked up this same idea as well.

http://blogs.oreilly.com/digitalmedi...-macworld.html

And actually if you go to the feature presentations section of MW Expo web site where they list the keynote normally there is no mention of it yet.

http://macworldexpo.com/SitePage.asp...8-992e7aa1d32b

I am going to be really bummed if he doesn't make it this year. I have been to the keynote many times and it is an annual trip for me.
  • Reply 96 of 151
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Naturally, the 17" Macbook, iMac, Mac Pro and Mini are all due for some update, refresh or more, so this begs the question: Anyone hear of any shortages? I haven't seen anything about slow supply channels as of yet. Obviously, the christmas shopping season makes this a unique time, but is there any word on this?
  • Reply 97 of 151
    Given the news that Phil Schiller's doing the keynote, and that it's Apple's last Macworld trade show, I'm revising my prediction:

1. 17" MacBook Pro unibody enclosure

2. New Mac minis

3. Snow Leopard preview
  • Reply 98 of 151
    No Steve-note.

"This changes everything."

So, I will revise my prediction/wish. The tablet is out. I think Jobs would have wanted to present such an innovative product himself. It's still coming in the next 6 months, in a special event before WWDC.

The rest is the same:

Apple TV, Take 3 software update

- iTunes, making it a stand-alone media server

- Safari

- Keyboard & mouse (wireless)

- External HDs (USB)

- App Store with apps & games (hey, it's X-mas)

iPhone, software update

- Push Notification, IM app demo

- Turn-by-turn navigation, TomTom demo

- Tethering

- USB storage

iTunes

- Flat rate subscription (like Spotify)

Best,

Daniel
  • Reply 99 of 151
    I would just like to see a new 17" MBP with everything upgraded, including a Blu-Ray drive.
  • Reply 100 of 151
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Given the news that Phil Schiller's doing the keynote, and that it's Apple's last Macworld trade show, I'm revising my prediction:

1. 17" MacBook Pro unibody enclosure

2. New Mac minis

3. Snow Leopard preview

I think you're exactly right. Those three things (in addition to the prerequisite "how things are going" talk) should fill a two hour keynote.