Will there be a unibody macbook 2. gen soon?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Im considering buying one of the new unibody macbooks. But i've heard about som amny problems. So i think i'll wait a few months to see if apple will make a 2. generation with better screens, no slanted F keys, and so on.

What do you guys think?

(and sorry my crappy english, but im not american)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    It will be some time before Apple releases updated chassis for their notebooks. Since you've only "heard" of problems I would recommend visiting an Apple authorized reseller and see for yourself. If that's not possible Apple has a 14 day return policy if you are not satisfied
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Slanted F keys?

I'm not American either, but my English is fine, thanks. :-)
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anton-anton View Post

(and sorry my crappy english, but im not american)

Being american is no indication of good english, sadly neither is being english any more.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Being american is no indication of good english, sadly neither is being english any more.

I teach English at a local college, and I've found that many American-born students do not use correct grammar. They learn English from family, friends, etc. who do not use correct grammar. I have foreign students who have been speaking English for less than 2 years; they use better grammar because they've learned it from teachers who do use correct grammar. Further, the foreign students don't have to unlearn bad grammar habits, and they're motivated to learn English.

I'd much rather teach foreign students.

American born students will tell me, "We don't speak that way where I live." My reply is, "That's fine. You'd probably be sneered at if you don't speak "street" English, but you better use correct English at school, at work, writing a book, etc. And you better know when to shift gears."

Now, that being said, some AI members are going to search what I've just written to see if I've made errors. There probably are some. I don't worry about the niceties of the language when I'm not at school. When I went to college, one of my professors used to say, "Speak to people in their own vernacular." Good advice.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Speaking of the proper use of language at college, the worst is receiving emails from students. I swear that most of them only know how to write txt msgs. ~shudder~

And, no, sequitur, there is no way in hell that I'll speak to them in their "own vernacular!"
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Speaking of the proper use of language at college, the worst is receiving emails from students. I swear that most of them only know how to write txt msgs. ~shudder~

And, no, sequitur, there is no way in hell that I'll speak to them in their "own vernacular!"

They may not understand you if you don't. Communication requires both of you to be on the same "level'. For example, you can't make a foreigner understand you just by speaking more loudly which many Americans try to do.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

students who have been speaking English for less than 2 years; they use better grammar because they've learned it from teachers who do use correct grammar.

Lernt

reminds me of the Simpsons episode were homer on hearing from a non english speaker that "you are so learn-ed" advisese that this is wrong

"no, its LERNT"
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Lernt

reminds me of the Simpsons episode were homer on hearing from a non english speaker that "you are so learn-ed" advisese that this is wrong

"no, its LERNT"

Learnt is British

Learned is American

long list of those words:

Burnt

Burned

Leapt

Leaped

Dreamt

Dreamed
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Learnt is British

Learned is American

Burnt

Burned

Leapt

Leaped

Dreamt

Dreamed

An online dictionary says Learnt is British, but burnt, leapt, and dreamt are used in American English as well as their -ed counterparts.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:

They may not understand you if you don't. Communication requires both of you to be on the same "level'. For example, you can't make a foreigner understand you just by speaking more loudly which many Americans try to do.

And that's supposed to be my problem? Sure my teaching evaluations may suffer a bit, but...
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

And that's supposed to be my problem? Sure my teaching evaluations may suffer a bit, but...

I was speaking about conversing with someone outside of the classroom; however, in the classroom, students won't understand you if you're speaking 'over their heads'.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

They may not understand you if you don't. Communication requires both of you to be on the same "level'.

Not at all. In fact most people I have to communicate with are on a different level.

Quote:

For example, you can't make a foreigner understand you just by speaking more loudly which many Americans try to do.

You sure can make them try harder though!!! More so if they grasp the fact that you are unhappy with them they might try different behaviours to meet your needs. This might not be the vocal communications you are thinking about but but can lead to an understanding between people.

Now I'm not saying this is something that needs continual usage as you certainly don't want to be raising your voice in most cases. What it can save you from is something quickly going down the wrong path.

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 22
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I was speaking about conversing with someone outside of the classroom; however, in the classroom, students won't understand you if you're speaking 'over their heads'.

I'd have to say that as an educator you almost have to speak "over their heads". I mean really how else are they going to be challenged to learn anything?

Now I've only went to college for a short period of time, to get a two year plus degree, but I can recall clearly that you learn the most in classes where you are challenged a bit or have to struggle with concepts. If an educator talks to students at their level then how do you expect those students to learn anything?

The other problem with attempting to talk to people "at their level" is that you run a very high risk of offending them. If it is felt be the reciever that you are talking down to them it can often be taken as offensive but more importantly you don't know how the peron you are talking to will take the disregard.

Auto salesman often have big issues with this when doing business with woman and suffer accorddingly. The problem is two fold here. One being that some woman have as much interest in automobiles as men so can quickly become annoyed with the salesman. The second problem is if it becomes obvious that someone is talking down to you do you really want to do business with them anyways. The problem is that you come off as being condescending.

Now it is possible to go to far in the opposite direction and become unaproachable. Frankly I don't see that as a big issue. Generally a smart person with this problem is going to have social interaction troubles anyways.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'd have to say that as an educator you almost have to speak "over their heads". I mean really how else are they going to be challenged to learn anything?

Don't educators wish you were right? Students coming up through the public school systems are taught to the FCAT and other rules and regulations that leave them with very little reasoning power. No matter how little they've learned, teachers have to pass them on to the next level or be severely criticized by the administration. By the time the students reach college level, they have to be "spoon fed" in order to learn. Teachers who teach "over their heads" wouldn't have a position very long. They're "encouraged" to teach to the level of the least of their students. Have you heard the phrase: the dumbing down of America? If you were in the school system, you'd believe it. People think that because they had a good education that all Americans receive one. I have had many foreign students, and they run rings around the American born.

It's been happening for quite a while. For example, when I took differential equations in university, a Norwegian student was tops in our class. I asked him how he knew so much. His answer was that he had taken (about) the same course in high school in Norway.

Let's end this discourse. We're off the thread, anyway. Until you've walked in an educator's shoes, you can't know education problems.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I bought a new unibody MB. It's the 2.0Ghz w/4GB RAM and Applecare.

I love it. I can run all of my apps with it, Garageband, Final Cut Express, Firefox, Photoshop, iTunes. No lag, no problems. As far as the hardware goes it is fantastic. I have no issues. My battery life is great, the screen is bright and vibrant. I was worried about the glossy screen at first, but now I wouldn't want anything else. I am happy that I finally jumped in and bought one.

EDIT: I just backtracked through this thread a bit and was a little disappointed with how off-topic it got. Please re-read the first post and if your future posts don't have any relation to it, then do not post it. I'm not being a moderator, it's just if someone clicks on this thread title hoping to find out more about issues with the new MB, I want them to actually be able to see material related to that topic.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Learnt is British

Learned is American

Burnt

Burned

Leapt

Leaped

Dreamt

Dreamed

at least make an attempt to understand it is about tenses, NOT about nationality.

and if you can't manage that, then didn't the English language originate in England? perhaps there lies the key to which IS the proper English spelling AND pronunciation.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

American born students will tell me, "We don't speak that way where I live." My reply is, "That's fine. You'd probably be sneered at if you don't speak "street" English, but you better use correct English at school, at work, writing a book, etc. And you better know when to shift gears."

Now, that being said, some AI members are going to search what I've just written to see if I've made errors. There probably are some. I don't worry about the niceties of the language when I'm not at school. When I went to college, one of my professors used to say, "Speak to people in their own vernacular." Good advice.

Ooh, ooh, teach, I got [sic] one! Shouldn't that be "you had better" or "you'd better"?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Ooh, ooh, teach, I got [sic] one! Shouldn't that be "you had better" or "you'd better"?

Yep. You're correct; however, I'm speaking in a forum where the 'rules' aren't always followed, ergo, the 'vernacular'. Nice catch. Watch my posts. There will be more errata. Feel free to correct if you have nothing better to do.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anton-anton View Post

Will there be a unibody macbook 2. gen soon?

Um, they just came out, so uh, no.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

at least make an attempt to understand it is about tenses, NOT about nationality.

and if you can't manage that, then didn't the English language originate in England? perhaps there lies the key to which IS the proper English spelling AND pronunciation.

neither is proper, just merely different standards. Like "color" vs. "colour."

-t and -ed are both past tense morphemes. I really don't know what your point here is.

FYI: the English language did not in fact "originate" from England. It comes from Anglo-Saxon which is an Old German dialect that came from the reconstructed hypothetical language "Proto-European."

And just because was spoken in England before the rest of the world (Americans come from England, you know) doesn't make it more correct than other Standard Englishes.

I don't know if your joking or just a misinformed bombastic poster.

Anyway: Don't Laptops usually get a Rev. B sometime in Spring?