Broke my terminal... Help please

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
To help explain this I do a bit of programming.

So one day I was going along and I jumped on my mac and I was going to look inside the app bundles to see what kind of trouble I could get myself into. So without any thoughts of backing up anything I went headfirst into my terminal to see whats what and in the end I broke my terminal.

Taking a look at the log files I see errors residing from things that I played with but anytime I went in to fix them I broke something else..

Shortly after doing this the realization hit me that I need a terminal to survive so I quickly looked around and found iterm, which after a few weeks use is just not the same.

In short, I'm hopping some one can help me out by uploading a copy of their terminal.app for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

( btw. OS X Tiger )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Get ahold of Pacifist and use it to reclaim the Terminal.app from the OS install disk. I had to do this once due to some unexplained Terminal corruption and it worked like a champ. http://www.charlessoft.com/
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I can't I have no install disk. I received my Mac from a family member who have no idea where the disk is either.

• Reply 3 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    In what way is the terminal broken?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Its not the binary but the UI overlay pieces ( the *.dib files ).

Looking at the log information when I try to open the terminal I see errors like

Code:

exception: *** class error for 'ASKNibObjectInfo': class not loaded

• Reply 5 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Check your PMs, I sent you a link for the terminal app.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Thanks Marvin! Another week of trying to use vim on iterm would have been the worst.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    There are other apps to invoke a terminal style prompt...

I have had one before I can't remember the name, but if you search versiontracker you might find some.

After that you could maybe repair your terminal...

Laters...