Over 100 fixes coming in Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple's Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update is on course to deliver dozens of new bug fixes to users of the company's Leopard operating system, with recently leaked developer notes also offering a status update on software's server counterpart and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Recent weeks have seen the release of two new builds of Mac OS X 10.5.6 to Apple developers, namely builds 9G44 and 9G52. Leaked evaluation notes from the latter build lists 103 specific bug fixes that will be deployed with the official release of the software, now expected shortly before the holidays.

Some of the more recent code corrections target miscellaneous graphics corruption issues, problems with DVI and display detection, sluggish syncing services, printing PDFs from Mail, and a variety of MobileMe synching problems.

Separately, Apple has been working on Mac OS X 10.5.6 Server, which is slated for release alongside its Client cousin. Seed notes from one of the most recent builds, 9G46, show the company to have asked developers to focus their testing efforts on components such as Podcast Producer, Password Server, Server Manager, Single Sign-On, and AFP Performance.

Lastly, partial developer documentation reveals the most recent pre-release build of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to be 10A222. Corroborating an AppleInsider report from last week, the notes show the software to have recently gained a new Grand Central developer API, while testing of Microsoft Exchange functionality in Mail, Address Book and iCal remains a focal point.

Additionally, the notes show hardware support for Snow Leopard's 64-bit kernel to remain limited to Macs introduced during the first half of the year, namely the early 2008 Mac Pro, early 2008 iMacs, and early 2008 MacBook Pro.

Apple will extend 64-bit kernel support to additional Macs as Snow Leopard development progresses.

As always, readers can keep up to date on the latest Snow Leopard rumblings through AppleInsider's Mac OS X 10.6 topics page and the ongoing Road to Snow Leopard series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I'd like to see the annoying bug I discovered last night taken care of. Of course it may actually be a feature. I moved photos from my MicroSD to the trash and the memory count on the MicroSD didn't move down one bit. Every time I tried to copy a new file to the MicroSD card it said it was full. I had to empty the trash for the memory on the MicroSD card to free-up. That's just plain retarded for the OS to hold that memory hostage like that. The trash and the flash memory need to part-ways in one of these bug fixes.
  • Reply 2 of 69
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    The best just keeps getting better!
  • Reply 3 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I'd like to see the annoying bug I discovered last night taken care of. Of course it may actually be a feature. I moved photos from my MicroSD to the trash and the memory count on the MicroSD didn't move down one bit. Every time I tried to copy a new file to the MicroSD card it said it was full. I had to empty the trash for the memory on the MicroSD card to free-up. That's just plain retarded for the OS to hold that memory hostage like that. The trash and the flash memory need to part-ways in one of these bug fixes.

Expected behavior as far as I can see...
  • Reply 4 of 69
    Quote:

What? It's only logical that every mounted drive keeps its own trash. To be able to recover the files from the trash, they must still be on the storage device, and not be overwritten. So you don't get your space back until you delete them.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    Quote:

This has been the case in Mac OS X for quite some time - you have to empty the trash of the attached volume's deleted files. However, if you're saying the deleted files of an attached volume should be moved to the computer's main volume (Macintosh HD), I can see the thought process, but what if you have really large files on that external drive? You would have to wait for them to transfer over to the computer's internal storage and then wait again as you emptied the trash!!
  • Reply 6 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

What? It's only logical that every mounted drive keeps its own trash. To be able to recover the files from the trash, they must still be on the storage device, and not be overwritten. So you don't get your space back until you delete them.

Yeah seriously...take 6 seconds out of your life to go to the trash and empty it. I guarantee if apple corrected this feature the way you wanted it, one day you'd want the file back after you put new stuff on the micro sd and there wouldn't be space for the recovered file, and you'd whine about that. I think it was an obvious and necessary feature.
  • Reply 7 of 69
    With my new Macbook, I hope Apple fixed the problem with Airport in 10.5.6!!!

I'm sick of getting disconnected from my wireless N router....
  • Reply 8 of 69
    "I'd like to see the annoying bug I discovered last night taken care of. Of course it may actually be a feature. I moved photos from my MicroSD to the trash and the memory count on the MicroSD didn't move down one bit. Every time I tried to copy a new file to the MicroSD card it said it was full. I had to empty the trash for the memory on the MicroSD card to free-up. That's just plain retarded for the OS to hold that memory hostage like that. The trash and the flash memory need to part-ways in one of these bug fixes."

This has been the standard feature for a long time, I think it predates OSX, but I could be wrong, seems like it has always been this way. You have to empty the trash before files are totally deleted. This is a safety feature to make sure you don't delete files accidentally. If files were deleted solely by dragged to the trash, users would complain they didn't get a second notification for files being deleted. I still have to “Empty Recycle Bin” on my windows computer at work before files are totally deleted as well, so it’s not a new or distinctly Apple feature either.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtmadman View Post

Is your wireless router the Apple AE? Just wondering since I don't have that problem. If you have the same AE maybe the problems is elsewhere? If it is I assume you tried deleting all settings and starting over and setting it to remember the connection. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some of the more recent code corrections target miscellaneous graphics corruption issues, problems with DVI and display detection, [...]

More details on the graphics issues would be useful. Both of our Mac Pros with Apple displays have been occasionally displaying horizontal lines and/or sparkles ... I hope this fixes it, as I'd hate to have to send them off for repair.
  • Reply 11 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    RE 10.6 64 bit, boy am I glad I waited till I did to buy my Mac Pro, I'd be really pissed off if I didn't get all it offered on such an expensive beast. I pity those who were first to buy Mac Pros. Perhaps the 64 bit support will be coming in 10.6.1 for older Mac Pros? I also wonder if Adobe will quickly release support for it?
  • Reply 12 of 69
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Would be nice to file sharing permission problems to be taken care of at some point. Leopard may let you share folders and files within them, but propagating permissions and the unmask problem turns into a total mess for no apparent reason.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Oh, and a fix for some of the LEDs on the MacBook Pro dimming/turning off would be nice too.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1258
  • Reply 14 of 69
    Quote:

How long have you been using a Mac?
  • Reply 15 of 69
    For OSX Server to be taken seriously again, it needs a different maintenance cycle than OSX Workstation. Some of the OSX Leopard Server installations had serious enough problems that they were shelved and the data was migrated to a Windows Server. The most serious and awkward problem was when the Server would not allow the admin to log back in!! Another one was when it corrupted the Users and Groups database, the Users and Groups become irreparable and un-deletable. Unfortunately these weren't isolated issues.

These issues would be on top of any IT's list of nightmares. OS X Server has some fabulous features but Apple needs to provide stability to foundational features such as file sharing, and regular bug fixes to serious issues such as permissions. They also need to treat Server customers differently. Their Server tech support contract is $14,000 per year!!! and it did nothing to help in such cases, the help you get from them is the same help you find on their fora! kinda ridiculous if you ask me.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Is your wireless router the Apple AE? Just wondering since I don't have that problem. If you have the same AE maybe the problems is elsewhere? If it is I assume you tried deleting all settings and starting over and setting it to remember the connection. Hope this helps.

No I'm not using Apple's AE. I use Netgear Rangemax N.

Yes deleted all setting etc, etc, etc.

Works well in wireless G not so well in N.

Thanks for your comments & help.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

More details on the graphics issues would be useful. Both of our Mac Pros with Apple displays have been occasionally displaying horizontal lines and/or sparkles ... I hope this fixes it, as I'd hate to have to send them off for repair.

I have got the same issues with my mac mini. I took it to the apple store they told me it was my monitor... Well, I hope it gets fixed because it's not very pretty.
  • Reply 18 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

That's not a bug. It's normal. Until you empty the trash, the files are going to be kept. That's the way it always works on any media, removable or not. The files aren't really in the trash, only the names of what will be removed.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Cant wait for this update

• Reply 20 of 69
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtmadman View Post

You and drones of others. Its not just your N router, by the way, include G-routers and also Apple's own routers. iMacs and Laptops are affected. For all intents and purposes many (MANY!) people's Apple experiences are greatly diminished by the fact that their computers cannot stay connected via built in Airport to their routers for more than a minute or two. On the same network Windows machines work, Apples wont. If you are the kind of person who frequents forums like this you can at least figure out that other people have the same problem (you can't fix it, though, it seems) and get some consolation from that, but I wonder how all the people who are not computer literate and bought a Mac because it is 'so much easier' feel.