Apple to begin work on first retail store in France

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple will soon be free to move into a high-profile space in Paris that's expected to become home to the company's first retail store in France.

Construction on the store may begin after December 13th, when the existing RĂ©sonances retailer at the Carrousel du Louvre underground shopping mall vacates its space and moves to another location in the mall.

A large poster has appeared on the front of the store to announce the retailer's move, and attendants at the shop reportedly confirm the Mac maker to be the new lessee.

The Carrousel is adjacent to the main entrance for the famous Louvre Museum, which hosts over 8 million visitors a year. It's also one of the few shopping venues in the country allowed to be open on Sundays.

The future Apple store will reportedly occupy 7,700 s.f. on two levels at the Carrousel, in spaces #15 and #33 beneath the iconic glass pyramid entrance.

Construction on the Apple store could be extensive, including a glass staircase to connect the two now-separate spaces.

The store, which could open by Fall 2009, would come two years after informal estimates by chief executive Steve Jobs. Several years ago, he told a shopper at the Apple Store Regent Street in London that Apple would open its first retail store in France "in 2007."

Gary Allen is the creator and author of ifo Apple Store, which provides close watch of Apple's retail initiative. When Gary isn't busy publishing news and information on Apple's latest retail stores, he finds himself hanging out at one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Joie!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I'm frankly surprised there hasn't been one already.

Doesn't France hold some sort of MacWorld type show every year?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    This should do wonders for the Louvre.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

This should do wonders for the Louvre.

It could serve as its new Modern Art & Design Museum (and gift shop).
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I'm frankly surprised there hasn't been one already.

Doesn't France hold some sort of MacWorld type show every year?

Its all about location and making a big splash.

Apple wants its first store in the country to be in the most high trafficked location possible and they are willing to wait for such a spot to open up.

Once they get the first store set up and get managers and employees trained, they can then start to expand out into the suburbs.

Check out this picture from the grand opening of the first store in Germany.

About 4000 people showed up!

http://www.panoramas.dk/2008/apple-store-munich.html
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Here is a QuickTime VR image of the grand opening of the Sydney Store.

http://www.mediavr.com/applestore.htm
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Count on the French to complain about it.

-which is one of the few things they excel at.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar View Post

Count on the French to complain about it.

-which is one of the few things they excel at.

They need to get the Mac ads into French. Then maybe they can all find unity in complaining about Vista.

But I'm glad to see Apple pushing into Europe. I really think that Europeans are natural Mac users. In some ways, even more so than the anglos ( US, UK ).
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

It could serve as its new Modern Art & Design Museum (and gift shop).

I'm curious about the design synergy between the pyramid and the apple store. The pyramid had a love/hate thing with Parisians, but I have the feeling they have come to like it now.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Apple to begin work on first retail store in France

I've been to France and let me tell you: They have plenty of retail stores there! Does anyone think that one of the world's largest economies works on a barter system?

I guess the story clears up what the headline made wacky.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Excellent news. Carrousel du Louvre is a great location (that and Champs Elysees are the prime locations to have) and while Fnac always have a good range of Macs on display it's about time Apple retail stores embrace Europe more wholeheartedly.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Begs the question:

Will the French be too good for Apple or vice versa?

p.s.- I love you, Apple inc.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    It surprises me how inaccurate is the American view of France. France is the fifth biggest economy, is the origin of all the big fashion, couture, perfume and has a huge defence industry with Thales and utilities with EDF.

France likes America and American culture. It's just that we like also to have formality and to be mannered.

I am sure the Apple store will complement Paris and I am sure Apple's reputation in France will be enhanced by being in such a prestigious area.