New "Get more episodes" feature sucks, hard!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The whole point of 'get more episodes' is for convience. Tapping it and leaving the iPod app is an Apple oversight. Get more episodes should load the latest podcast episodes right in the iPod app, making checking for updates as easy as checking for new mail in Mail. This leaving the app you're using is ridiculous. When you view the podcasts tab it should check automatically and download them right into the iPod app. Talk about missing the obvious boat Apple *shakes head*

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The whole point of 'get more episodes' is for convience. Tapping it and leaving the iPod app is an Apple oversight. Get more episodes should load the latest podcast episodes right in the iPod app, making checking for updates as easy as checking for new mail in Mail. This leaving the app you're using is ridiculous. When you view the podcasts tab it should check automatically and download them right into the iPod app. Talk about missing the obvious boat Apple *shakes head*

I don't understand what you are saying here. All I know is that I had a heck of a time finding the 'get more episodes' until i clicked the only forgotten podcast on my device (its not available otherwise, i don't think), and then it wouldn't download anything because it said i didn't have a fast connection (1G iphone). Don't even ask me about a simple search, there isn't one available, just whatever Apple allows by category or 'top'. yuck.

now all it does is give me grief every time i turn on the device and it says '10 mb download is too large for your connection' kind of error and won't go away even though i dismissed it long ago.

they are on another boat, that's for sure.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Confused everyone isn't up in arms about this.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:

Confused everyone isn't up in arms about this.

I'm with you on this.

I listen to about 6 podcasts. For me to check on getting more episodes, I have to leave the iPod app then download a new episode(s).

Then I have to go back into the iPod app and start all over again for each podcast.

Fortunatelly, I know which days the individual podcasts are released on, so I normally don't have to go in and out of the iPod app every day.

I'm assuming that they'll get it working better on the next update.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick

I'm assuming that they'll get it working better on the next update.

That'll be your downfall
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

That'll be your downfall

For now, it's a little bit of a drag, but it sure beats waking up in the morning, and having to go down to my "office" in the basement, to sync my iPhone.

I wonder if maybe it was rushed into the 2.2 update without a lot of thought. It sure seems that way. But I really would have no idea about that.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    It's a nice feature now, downloading the latest podcast.

Things are bound to improve, if you have subscribed to the podcast you should just click something like "check for updates" in the podcast part of the iPod function of the iPhone, then automatically it loads the updated podcast. So I hope this is in the iPhone 2.3 software.

That 10MB limit needs to be lifted though, I am in a "lucky" country where for the equivalent of US$30 I have unlimited mobile 3G (covers most areas of the city, otherwise falls back to EDGE).

Being a developing country, one can imagine that EDGE and 3G coverage is sometimes better than fixed-line services like DSL, due to "leapfrogging".

So, If I've got a 25MB file, I don't need no stinkin' WiFi! I just need to have 3G coverage and Boom! It goes at a decent speed of about 1mbit/s or sometimes up to 2mbit/s

The difference is also, the 3G provider is a newer, more dynamic company, while the local DSL provider for businesses, WiFi hotspots, and homes, is our craptastic national telco...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I have a wireless network at home, I pick a few to download, dock my iPhone and go to sleep then I can listen to them the next day.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I have a wireless network at home, I pick a few to download, dock my iPhone and go to sleep then I can listen to them the next day.

I can't dock mine at night because it's my alarm clock too.

This morning, MacOsKen wasn't ready when I left so I was able to just pull into a McD's and download it. For me, that's an excellent feature.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    In the iPod app on the iPhone/iPod touch, down the bottom of the Podcast tab should be a button called "Get more episodes..." When tapped; spinning OS X spokes, then it would check for new episodes and give a message when done.

Episodes found! Get now? Later.

Job done.

Apple?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You are why innovation doesn't happen. Not people like you, but just you
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Bringing this topic back up again......

I'm having other issues with the Get More Episodes feature.

When I wake up, I have my iPhone try to get the newest episodes of MacOSKen and TWIT. The new episodes are not listed on my iPhone, but if I open iTunes on my iMac, and refresh the podcasts, they are there. This has been happening for at least a week or more.

I'm not sure if there is a different iTunes server for the iPhone than there is for the computer, but it sure is annoying.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Bringing this topic back up again......

I'm having other issues with the Get More Episodes feature.

When I wake up, I have my iPhone try to get the newest episodes of MacOSKen and TWIT. The new episodes are not listed on my iPhone, but if I open iTunes on my iMac, and refresh the podcasts, they are there. This has been happening for at least a week or more.

I'm not sure if there is a different iTunes server for the iPhone than there is for the computer, but it sure is annoying.

Don't start me on that feature, don't start me on the iPhone, don't start me on Mobile me - don't start me