Microsoft releases Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.5 Update

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Microsoft on Tuesday released Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.5 Update [104MB], which contains several improvements to enhance stability, compatibility, and performance. In addition, the update includes fixes for vulnerabilities that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code. For more information about this update, see the release notes (not live as of press time).

Separately, Microsoft also released Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.2 [45MB] which allows you to convert Open XML files that were created in Office 2008 for Mac or Office 2007 for Windows so that you can open, edit, and save them in earlier versions of Office for Mac. Open XML Converter can convert Word documents, Excel workbooks, and PowerPoint presentations that are in the Open XML Format so that you can open and edit the files in Office 2004 for Mac and Office v. X for Mac. You can choose to convert and open one file, or convert a large number of files.

The update contains several improvements to enhance stability and performance. In addition, this update includes fixes for vulnerabilities that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code. For more information about this update, see the release notes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Is this 104MB update a standalone or a combo?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    105Mb and still has display problems when scrolling and frequent crashing when switching out of headers/footers!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daniel84 View Post

Is this 104MB update a standalone or a combo?

• Reply 3 of 22
    dypdyp Posts: 33member
    My Office still tells me that there's no update.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dyp View Post

Both versions of Microsoft AutoUpdate--the Office 2004 version and the Office 2008 version--stopped picking up new updates sometime ago. However, manually downloading Office updates still works like a charm.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dyp View Post

Same here with Office 2004.

Guess its manual time.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Needlessly complicated as usual to update, and no improvement I can see.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr_zebra View Post

Needlessly complicated as usual to update, and no improvement I can see.

Fantastic. I can't wait to update!
  • Reply 8 of 22
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Using PowerPoint in MS Office 2004, the slide showed on my extended monitor as well as on the main monitor for both .pps and .ppt files. In Office 2008, a .ppt slide doesn't show up at all on the extended monitor and a .pps slide is a shredded unrecognizable image on the extended monitor.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and what did you do to correct it? Does the update correct this problem?

Thanks
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

105Mb and still has display problems when scrolling and frequent crashing when switching out of headers/footers!

Hi,

Which app are you seeing this in? In many documents or one particular document?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Using PowerPoint in MS Office 2004, the slide showed on my extended monitor as well as on the main monitor for both .pps and .ppt files. In Office 2008, a .ppt slide doesn't show up at all on the extended monitor and a .pps slide is a shredded unrecognizable image on the extended monitor.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and what did you do to correct it? Does the update correct this problem?

Thanks

Hi,

I will pass your feedback on to the PowerPoint team. Are you referring specifically to slide show mode? Seeing this with several files or one particular file in each case?

-Derek
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Derek Snook [Microsoft] View Post

Hi,

I will pass your feedback on to the PowerPoint team. Are you referring specifically to slide show mode? Seeing this with several files or one particular file in each case?

-Derek

Ah, and specifically are you using 2 video cards, or 2 monitors with one card?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft on Tuesday released Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.5 Update [104MB], which contains several improvements to enhance stability, compatibility, and performance. In addition, the update includes fixes for vulnerabilities that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code. For more information about this update, see the release notes (not live as of press time).

Separately, Microsoft also released Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.2 [45MB] which allows you to convert Open XML files that were created in Office 2008 for Mac or Office 2007 for Windows so that you can open, edit, and save them in earlier versions of Office for Mac. Open XML Converter can convert Word documents, Excel workbooks, and PowerPoint presentations that are in the Open XML Format so that you can open and edit the files in Office 2004 for Mac and Office v. X for Mac. You can choose to convert and open one file, or convert a large number of files.

The update contains several improvements to enhance stability and performance. In addition, this update includes fixes for vulnerabilities that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code. For more information about this update, see the release notes.

I can't see how a 100 MB update is going to transform a clusterfuck of garbageware into something good.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Ah, and specifically are you using 2 video cards, or 2 monitors with one card?

Hi,

The problem always happens in 'slide show mode' in .ppt mode. It happens almost always in .pps mode, too. I mounted quite a few presentations in both modes, but ONE, only one, of the .pps presentations WAS visible on the extended monitor. There was a problem with that one on both screens. The bottom 3/8" of the slide was missing but was at the top of the slide. I haven't been able to figure out how to move it to the bottom of the picture as yet.

All of the presentations were built with MS Office 2004 for Mac. I just got Office 2008 and haven't built a presentation yet.

I am using a G4 Mac (800 mHz, 1GB of ram) which has one video card with 2 monitors.

BTW, is there a way to copy and paste several pictures from another file to PowerPoint at one time - rather than one at a time?

Thanks
  • Reply 14 of 22
    If you haven't checked out iWorks you should.

Pages makes Word look antiquated and slow.

Keynote is the de facto best for presentation making.

Numbers is not bad either.

I wish I could convince my coworkers to uninstall MS Office and get iWorks.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Could you let me know what your configuration is? Specifically,

Mac?

OS?

using 2 video cards or one?

are you in mirrored or unmirrored mode when running slide show?

Thanks!

Nancy

Quote:

Thanks

• Reply 16 of 22
    What is the video card that is used in the G4? Is it the ATI 128 Rage card?

Just wondering,

Nancy

Quote:

Hi,

The problem always happens in 'slide show mode' in .ppt mode. It happens almost always in .pps mode, too. I mounted quite a few presentations in both modes, but ONE, only one, of the .pps presentations WAS visible on the extended monitor. There was a problem with that one on both screens. The bottom 3/8" of the slide was missing but was at the top of the slide. I haven't been able to figure out how to move it to the bottom of the picture as yet.

All of the presentations were built with MS Office 2004 for Mac. I just got Office 2008 and haven't built a presentation yet.

I am using a G4 Mac (800 mHz, 1GB of ram) which has one video card with 2 monitors.

BTW, is there a way to copy and paste several pictures from another file to PowerPoint at one time - rather than one at a time?

Thanks

• Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nancycho View Post

What is the video card that is used in the G4? Is it the ATI 128 Rage card?

Just wondering,

Nancy

ATI Radeon 7500

G4 Mac (800 mHz, 1GB of ram) which has one video card with 2 monitors

OS X 10.4.11

Extended on second monitor (ViewSonic VX2025) (not mirrored)

Displays:

Apple Cinema Display:

Display TypetLCD

Resolutiont1600 x 1024

Deptht32-bit Color

Core ImagetNot Supported

Main DisplaytYes

MirrortOff

OnlinetYes

Quartz ExtremetSupported

VX2025wm:

Resolutiont1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Deptht32-bit Color

Core ImagetNot Supported

MirrortOff

OnlinetYes

Quartz ExtremetSupported

I've had time to check out about 240 presentations, .pps and .ppt modes. All the .ppt modes (slide show) and oddly all but one in .pps mode look like many views of the same slide covered with a translucent mini-venetian blind. I can barely make out what the slides are on the extended monitor.

I installed MS Office 2008 updates 12.1.0 and several more including 12.1.5 today. It did not help the above problem; however, the truncated picture on the ONLY presentation to work was corrected. I hope that problem is resolved permanently.

You gave me an idea: I changed from extended mode to mirrored and, eureka, both monitors show the presentation (normal view & slide show) .ppt and in .pps mode. Unfortunately, that is NOT an option for me. I need the extended view.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Fantastic. I can't wait to not update!

fixed.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Hi,

Which app are you seeing this in? In many documents or one particular document?

Word and any document, though particularly long documents.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    I recently purchased and started using a refurbed iBook G4 for Power Point and Excel presentations. Every time I open a project, I get the X or PP start page with the header "Registered To XXXXXX XXXXXX" (the previous owner who activated the software). My audiences, whether a group or a single person, all know that I am not XXXXXX XXXXXX!

It's an embarrassing situation, since it suggests that I am either using someone else's iBook or I have a pirated version of the software.

Does anyone know where or how I could edit the script for MS Office 2008?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!