Are netbooks shrinking Apple's slice of the portable market?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 186
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Apple's Netbook should look exactly like a mini MacBook Air but with a 10" screen and a plastic case instead of aluminum.

It should be available in Black and White and be priced around $799.

Aaagh, I was going to say something similar.

Also:

You could take the iPhone's innards and still have the basics of casual use (surf, email, edit docs, play music and video, book reader ). Scaling up reduces the cost to manufacture. With a netbook-sized battery, lifetimes could be huge. A single 4-pin two-way audio jack plus a single USB. Add to this a version of OSX that is closer to iPhone than adult Leopard, but can delegate processing and data storage to server-side. 9 inches width gives you full-size alphabet keys.

Instant start-up, active stand-by, endless battery use, ridiculously slim and light, permanently connected, built-in back-to-my-mac, and cheaper than macbook or iPhone-parity.
  • Reply 22 of 186
    So the author believes apple will put out a netbook because netbooks are shrinking apples slice of the portable market. This makes no sense, why would apple want to create a product that affect its current products sales? Apple evaluates its current products when bringing a new product to the market. If the new product will take sales from another apple will not bring that product to market.
  • Reply 23 of 186
    Ahh the beauty of changing the market target and thus producing completely different numbers to piss on the stock traders.

Apple's Laptop market share that they TARGET is growing.

You go right ahead and add in the Netbooks that they don't target and show that their portable market share is shrinking.

I'll go right ahead and throw in their portable Smartphone market and show its drastically growing.

Get it?

It's a junk art form [not worthy of a science label] to put netbooks in with laptops. They are completely different markets.
  • Reply 24 of 186
    Looks like "nascent" didn't last very longl

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

People buying netbooks have already decided they want a Windows notebook. The next choice is which Windows notebook.

Maybe it works for some people, but not everyone.

Who's to say that some people decide they want a netbook and only decide on windows once they find out that there is no Mac option?

It's the old "I'd buy a mac netbook (or whatever other product) but they just don't make one yet".
  • Reply 25 of 186
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    An extremely small number of people are going to bother doing this. To the point its inconsequential when looking at over all netbook and macbook sales.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diamondsw View Post

Not necessarily - I have an Eee 901 and have Mac OS X loaded on it. It's not perfect (wired ethernet, microphone, and webcam don't work), but for most purposes it's excellent. Accelerated graphics, sound, WiFi, etc all work fine. 1024x600 is not as constrained as you'd initially think.

• Reply 26 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

. . . impossible to grow your sales faster than industry average and lose market share.

The author is saying that Apple's share of the combined, portable market (laptop + netbook) is declining (per unit) though its share of the laptop market is increasing: netbook sales (units) are increasing. The author doesn't state that Apple is selling more computers than last year, only that people are buying more netbooks than last year. The "who cares" to Apple is if its laptop sales decline or if it misses out on a lucrative netbook market. When Jobs worries about the latter, the iPod Touch will get real Bluetooth. (But is he willing to go up against the Newton?)
  • Reply 27 of 186
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    The adverts are kind of cute today. I wonder how they do the targeting. What shall I do today? Find love, or virtualize some servers?
  • Reply 28 of 186
    Not confused at all. When has anyone directly compared sales of any particular Windows PC directly against any particular Mac. You can't make that comparison.

Its pretty elementary. You first have to decide between OS X and Windows. Two entirely different platforms which require an investment in different software. Their is nothing netbooks do to negate this choice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Your logic seems confused. You say, "People buying netbooks have already decided they want a Windows notebook." So, they have decided against a Mac, whether it be because they are only interested in a netbook is irrelevant. Thus netbooks are competing against Mac portables. Really, how would you know if they looked at Apple's offerings, realized there wasn't anything that met their requirements (small, lightweight computer embodied in the netbook), and thus had no choice but to look Windows netbooks?

• Reply 29 of 186
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I mean honestly, do these people just come up with news just for the sake of coming up with news?

Maybe Apple is not interested in that market?

Nothing to see here... move along....
  • Reply 30 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

In other news, the sale of new dishwashers completely outstrips the market for trained elephants!

Dude, that could totally cost Barbar his job at Applebee's.
  • Reply 31 of 186
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    In related news, 100% of all lame articles are done by people that drink water.

Maybe they should start hitting the bars and get a buzz. The quality of their work may improve.
  • Reply 32 of 186
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Bring on the Apple Netbooks.

Oh wait....thats right I have an IPhone, already.
  • Reply 33 of 186
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Bring on the Apple Netbooks.

Oh wait....thats right I have an IPhone, already.

heh

• Reply 34 of 186
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vituperable View Post

Apple will wait for a viable market to emerge first!

Just like the iPhone right? /Wrong
  • Reply 35 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You first have to decide between OS X and Windows.

Says who?

My wife's PC laptop broke and we've been putting off replacing it. She's fine with getting either a PC or mac to replace it, so the choice comes down to which specific models are available.

When you're mostly doing word processing and internet, choice of platform isn't always as important as what hardware is the best fit.
  • Reply 36 of 186
    Any Apple netbook should have the following to even be considered:

USB 2.0

Display-Port

ExpressCard slot

The MacBook Air misses the mark on being a Netbook because of it's size. Furthermore, I hope with the advent of Snow Leopard, Apple gives us some sort of Portable Home Directory system without the need to run Leopard Server for admin purposes.

The lack of a high speed file transfer system between said "netbook" and a user's primary computer is why Apple won't ever be "in" on the Netbook craze.
  • Reply 37 of 186
    I'm surprised that no one has referenced jobs' other remark on this topic, namely, that they consider the ipod touch in some respects a netbook, as it addresses some of the same needs as a netbook. If one were to add in all of the iphone/touch sales as part of the overall 'portable computing segment', market share is likely growing (hence, elephant trainers and dishwasher manufacturers should both be concerned).

More to the point about apple's future products is this suggests that they may expand the ipod touch upmarket to compete in this category, rather than the macbook/air downmarket. Margins could be higher than the touch rather than lower than the macbook, and it would grow out of a product category where apple is the market leader.

Analysts have latched onto netbooks as an extension of the laptop market, but that doesn't make it so. What truly defines a market, a la crossing the chasm, is the set of alternatives people consider when making a purchasing decision. In our (educational) purchasing decisions, we see netbook and ipod touch as products in an overlapping if not the same category.
  • Reply 38 of 186
    Most people are mostly word processing and internet. But you still have to make a platform choice and a usability preference. OS X and Windows are very different. MS Office for Windows is very different from MS Windows for Mac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Says who?

My wife's PC laptop broke and we've been putting off replacing it. She's fine with getting either a PC or mac to replace it, so the choice comes down to which specific models are available.

When you're mostly doing word processing and internet, choice of platform isn't always as important as what hardware is the best fit.

• Reply 39 of 186
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vituperable View Post

Apple will wait for a viable market to emerge first! Then, and only then, will they produce the finest netbook type device on the market. They will not outsell all other vendors in doing so, but they will make more money.

I'm willing to bet they're already hard at work on it in Apple's Secret Labs®. When they feel the market is ready, it'll pop up faster than most people think.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wwrightstufff View Post

This makes no sense, why would apple want to create a product that affect its current products sales?

If your choice is to make a smaller sale or lose a sale completely, which would you pick?
  • Reply 40 of 186
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    The perfect NetBook (first picture) with full Mac OS X 10.5.5 inside, VGA-out port for full-blown presentations from NATIVE Keynote and PowerPoint files, Ethernet port and Firewire ports to transfer large files, audio, video and repairs via Target Disk Mode. Touch screen.

Next Apple moves will be Books and Games?

http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09...ooks-and-games

Like the OQO, but with Mac inside:

OQO model 02

OQO model e2

http://www.oqo.com

We need thousands for our University.