Are netbooks shrinking Apple's slice of the portable market?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 186
    t0xt0x Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

If your choice is to make a smaller sale or lose a sale completely, which would you pick?

Exactly. Some people simply don't need everything that the regular Macbook offers, so they don't see the point in dropping $1300+ on it.

Netbooks are meant to be small, lightweight and inexpensive. Generally, netbook prices hover around $400-$500, with some even being as low as $300. People saying that Apple should release a netbook for $700-$800 have their heads in the sand. People don't want to spend that much on a netbook. If Apple can't make a well-built, well-featured netbook for under $600, then they've got a problem.

If Apple could make a netbook that matches (or exceeds, even) the Samsung NC10's features, then I'd gladly drop $600 on it, but no more.
  • Reply 42 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

If your choice is to make a smaller sale or lose a sale completely, which would you pick?

Depends on if the sale is actually profitable. Make sure that customer service and R&D iare included in sale price and margin.

Netbooks are commodities and 3rd or 4th computers. Apple doesn't make commodities that are judged soley on price/performance.
  • Reply 43 of 186
    t0xt0x Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Netbooks are commodities and 3rd or 4th computers. Apple doesn't make commodities that are judged soley on price/performance.

You'd be surprised how many people are using a netbook as their primary (or only) computer. The fallacy that netbooks can't be used as a primary machine is quickly falling apart.
  • Reply 44 of 186
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t0x View Post

You'd be surprised how many people are using a netbook as their primary (or only) computer. The fallacy that netbooks can't be used as a primary machine is quickly falling apart.

I set one up for a customer today.

I sure would like to meet the person that's using a Dell Mini 9 as their primary computer...
  • Reply 45 of 186
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

The market share number means nothing!

Just because someone arbitrarily decides netbooks are the same market as >1000$ notebooks doesn't mean it has any effect. Apple's "phone market share" will drop significantly, as well, if your supermarket writes "phone" on your cans of peas and carrots and starts delivering them with a long piece of string.

So no, netbooks are apparently NOT hurting Apples sales (up 24%!), everything else is mathematical trickery.
  • Reply 46 of 186
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Exactly.

Well... not necessarily.

Netbook is 2nd or even 3rd computer for a user, not main one... thus, OS choice is not that important as it should be for the main computer.

Well, for me at least. I have Vista desktop and notebook, and am considering netbook. At this stage OS is completely irrelevant as netbook will be used for limited tasks. I'm not going to edit photos on it. I'm not going to do home videos on it. I'm not going to play big games on it. However, I'm going to use it to dump and basic-organize photos when travelling or being outdoors, also to have access to the Internet, emails... eventually, to read an ebook or two. I can do those basics on ANY OS, so I'll be looking at price, comfort (keyboard, screen) and portability (battery) before my OS preference.

Now... true Apple is selling more laptops than they used to, but it is to be expected they would sell even more if they are present in netbook market. A lot of people who have iMac or Mac Pro or even MBP (and don't like carrying it around all the time) would consider netbook. A lot of Windows users who - like me - don't care about OS on netbook would consider Mac netbook if it fits the bill specs wise.

So it is not the question if Apple would sell more - the question is would profit justify investments in developing such device. I think it would.
  • Reply 47 of 186
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vituperable View Post

Apple will wait for a viable market to emerge first! Then, and only then, will they produce the finest netbook type device on the market. They will not outsell all other vendors in doing so, but they will make more money.

Hello all! My first post! Hooray!

Welcome!

But remember to walk up to the biggest, baddest dude in the forum and smack him with a pipe. You have to gain their respect and fear.
  • Reply 48 of 186
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I still think that a properly designed tablet (7-9" diag)with the ability to dock to a keyboard or home 'mothership' will dominate eventually.

And I think that that's where Apple is headed within the next 2 years.

Don't know whether that's prediction or projection.
  • Reply 49 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

There will be no video iPod. Nobody wants to watch videos on an iPod.

Apple will not enter the cell phone market.

Apple will not allow third party native iPhone applications. Web apps are really, really SWEET.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

LOL. You forgot- Apple will never release a headless Mac.
  • Reply 50 of 186
    Windows users are already used to buying a POS cheap computer, no wonder they enjoy using a Netbook. Mac users enjoy quality. If Apple released a $300 Netbook, it won't be as nice as their other products.
  • Reply 51 of 186
    Hey everyone...

I'm not going to even begin to guess what Apple's response to the growing Netbook market. I'd just like to share what my thoughts are on the market as a whole.

I am an avid Mac user. I have been using a Mac for almost 6 years now and have said that I would never buy another Windows computer. Fast forward to last night when I walked out of a well known electronics store with an HP Mini 10.2" Windows XP netbook. Now this is not my main computer, but it serves 3 main purposes that I was looking to find solutions for:

1.) My wife needed a computer to remote into her office. Because I depend on my Mac to complete freelance work, I was very hesitant to install any Windows-based remote desktop software on my Mac. I know it has limited risk, but I needed 0 risk.

2.) As a freelance web designer, I needed a computer to check websites on IE6. Since many of these Netbooks are Windows XP, I am able to easily check websites on IE6.

3.) I wanted something ultra-portable and inexpensive. I considered purchasing a new Macbook or even a Macbook air for our purposes. Obviously, that would have made the Windows solution a little more tricky (installing Parallels and Windows), but it would have worked. Also, the cost was prohibitive to purchasing another Macbook or Macbook Air. $399 vs. $1299-$1799.

I understand this computer is not going to serve as my main computer, but for my wife's basic computing needs, it is a perfect fit. We love the Mac operating system and would have purchased a Mac netbook if it was available. However, the decision came down to cost/size rather than Mac vs. Windows.

Just a little input from a Mac lover who purchased a Netbook.
  • Reply 52 of 186
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I still see the current netbook devices as experiments at the very least and possibly fads. Long term viability comes down to apps and hardware size. Nothng I've seen so far on the market really competes well with iPhone.

That is for a device you can carry on your body constantly. I look at it this way I recently went to Vegas to relieve myself of excess cash. The iPhone of course came along. It functioned as a phone, an E-Mail device, a GPS, a web browser and handled other duties. It did that any where I was without effort on my part to have it available or fumble around for it, even when running around wearing shorts and a tee. Not many netbooks can do all that.

Now I'd be the first to admit that iPhone is not perfect and the small screen hurts it big time. That is why I think an ideal netbook response from Apple would be a device slighly larger that would fit well into a suit jacket or pants pocket. The utility in these device is portability something that the netbooks don't have. A 10 inch netbook isn't going to fit into my pocket. Worst yet that ten incher has fewer useful features than my iPhone.

Dave
  • Reply 53 of 186
    iPhone and iTouch are netbooks. Apple has to change conventional notions that netbooks has to be smaller notebooks.
  • Reply 54 of 186
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Depends on if the sale is actually profitable. Make sure that customer service and R&D iare included in sale price and margin.

iPod Shuffle.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madmaxmedia View Post

LOL. You forgot- Apple will never release a headless Mac.

You have to quote the full list:
    • Apple would never kill off Classic completely.

• Apple will never open brick-and-mortar stores. It would be a disaster.

• Apple will never make the eMac available to non-educational buyers.

• Apple would never get into the music business. They can't legally do it.

• Apple would never offer iPods for Windows users.

• Apple would never discontinue the iPod Mini. It's way too popular.

• Apple would never create their own browser. They need Internet Explorer on the Mac.

• Apple would never offer iTunes for Windows.

• Apple would never create a 24" iMac. It would be too top-heavy.

• Apple would never create their own office suite. It would make Microsoft angry.

• Apple would never offer a headless Mac.

• Apple would never switch to Intel chips.

• Apple will never get into the cell phone market. It's way too competitive.

• Apple will never create another handheld platform. The Newton was a disaster.

• Apple will never let people run Windows on a Mac.

• Apple will never make Safari for Windows.

• Apple will never let developers into the iPhone. It's a security problem.

• Apple would never call something the Macbook Air. That's horrible sounding.

• Apple will never release a 3G iPhone. It's too power-hungry.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

If Apple released a $300 Netbook, it won't be as nice as their other products.

Who said Apple will release a $300 netbook? I don't see that in the article or the comments. Right now, if you want a functional (more than just Net access, music, video, games and frou-frou fun applications) portable Apple device, your cheapest choice is $1000. That's not chump change for most people. $500-600 would be much more affordable and could still offer Apple a comfortable profit margin.
  • Reply 55 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I set one up for a customer today.

I sure would like to meet the person that's using a Dell Mini 9 as their primary computer...

Most people with a Mini 9 don't use it as a primary computer. I use an iMac at home as my primary computer. My Mini 9 (Running OS X 10.5.5, and wifi, webcam, and all other features work fine) is for just taking around everywhere. Allthough, if I needed it to, it could stand in as a primary as opposed to my iPhone.
  • Reply 56 of 186
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    What netbook does Sony make?
  • Reply 57 of 186
    You guys just do not have a clue, honestly.

Do you realise how many people are buying netbooks?

Do you realise how many netbooks will be bought as Christmas presents this month?

MacBook sales have got to suffer big time with everyone going mad over a $400 netbook.

And I know plenty of people who are buying netbook's to use as their primary notebook, I know many business users who have ditched their normal notebook and use their netbook all the time now. With a docking station and external monitor/keyboard they do the job on the desktop.

Apple should have seen this coming, many of use did.
  • Reply 58 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Welcome!

But remember to walk up to the biggest, baddest dude in the forum and smack him with a pipe. You have to gain their respect and fear.

that movie left me depressed for weeks! thanks for reminding me!
  • Reply 59 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Macs don't compete directly with any particular model of PC in that way. A consumer would first need to decide if they want a Mac or a PC. Then they decide which specific model of Mac or PC they want.

People buying netbooks have already decided they want a Windows notebook. The next choice is which Windows notebook.

Not in the least. I've been a Mac apologist since my Mac Plus and have two Macs at home and three at work. When it came time for a small, cheap laptop for non-critical use that had to be the price of a netbook and the size of a netbook for the third computer in the family...I got a netbook. A $400 Asus and everyone who uses it couldn't be happier. And my neighborhood (NYC) is filled with people who did the same.

In fact, I'm buying two more as presents tomorrow.

I practically never sat in front of a Windows computer in my entire life and never chose to for the OS. I needed a small $400 laptop that wouldn't be crap and I got it. If there was a new $550 Apple the size of the Asus I likely would have bought it.
  • Reply 60 of 186
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    One more computer to maintain? one more clamshell to wrestle with? Nope! All we need is a bigger iPod Touch with:

- a 7" or 9" screen - enough real estate to reasonably edit documents and really great for web, media, and games

- ability to run a couple of apps in the background

- cut and paste, etc.

- even better, a bundled and simplified iWork set of apps

- screen display output to a connected monitor or TV

with "cloud" file storage like MobileMe and streaming media from online portals, we don't need a big SSD like a laptop. just 16G is enough. 32G is luxury.

one great accomplishment of the iPhone/Touch is that their simplified OS X system software is so so much easier for a user to set up and maintain than a standard computer, and that the third-party focused-purpose apps for it are so much simpler and easier to buy, set up, and update than standard computer applications.

that's why a bigger Touch would immediately capture half the netbook market. if Jobs would just stop being so damn stubborn and give us the chance.

and yes, i'd pay $499 for one.