TV deals causing movies to disappear from iTunes Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

My favorite online retailer, The Pirate Bay, hasn't removed any movies from my watch list. And they provide them in a DRM free format, even 1080P.

Sheldon

• Reply 22 of 40
    wow! Hollywood studios are really serving Apple with the short end of the stick here. Not only are most of the new releases on the iTunes store are for purchase only, the same titles are available for rent at competing businesses such as Blockbusters and Netflix. Moreover, with iTunes purchases you cannot lend them to friends, and once you're done you can't sell them on eBay either.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by podpacker View Post

why piracy is so prevalent. Why would you make things inconvenient for customers? Who would go to a restaurant that closed from 12:00-2:00 and 6:00-8:00? Rent n Rip happens for this reason.

Thats what i think as well

• Reply 24 of 40
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

BAH! The reason I don't have cable or satellite is because I refuse to abide by somebody else's schedule when watching content (PVR notwithstanding). My XBox doesn't tell me I can only play Fable 2 at exactly 8pm on Tuesday. My Matrix DVD doesn't tell me I can only play it at 10pm on Friday. www.slashdot.org doesn't force me to view a particular thread at 9pm on Wednesday night only. None overtly force me to watch ads, though they all do to a certain extent. Hell, even the movie theatre gives me a choice of times to watch the movie, even though I do have to watch ads.

And yet here are the broadcasters telling me that I have to:

1) Pay them a monthly rate.

2) Watch only at the specific times they tell me to (unless I use their PVR).

3) Watch ads.

It's a rip-off of monumental proportions.

Now, these rip-off artists try to take away the content I was viewing somewhere else, in a vain attempt to force me to maintain a cable subscription in addition to what I'm already paying for content?

No thanks. I, and I alone, will decide when I watch. That's why I've bought some DVDs of TV seasons for shows I absolutely want to watch.

GRRR! I'd boycott these clowns if I wasn't already.

This further motivated me to shut off my directtv. I'm done. I'll get my HD fix somewhere else. I'm so tired of seeing crap on tv. TV shows are easy to find on the internet, i'll just go that route.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by podpacker View Post

why piracy is so prevalent. Why would you make things inconvenient for customers? Who would go to a restaurant that closed from 12:00-2:00 and 6:00-8:00? Rent n Rip happens for this reason.

And they turn around and try and slap us with lawsuits and fines because of it. Really fair isn't it?
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

LOL;_)

mine, mininova.org and isohunt.com, as eztv.it for TV content, all seem to be having "special" deals with the studios and the mpaa;-) LOL...

Could we not get a ban on dumb asses who like to come here and brag about pirating stuff? And maybe forward their user info to the MPAA in the process...
  • Reply 27 of 40
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

You mean cable companies, not broadcasters, right?
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

BAH! The reason I don't have cable or satellite is because I refuse to abide by somebody else's schedule when watching content (PVR notwithstanding). My XBox doesn't tell me I can only play Fable 2 at exactly 8pm on Tuesday. My Matrix DVD doesn't tell me I can only play it at 10pm on Friday. www.slashdot.org doesn't force me to view a particular thread at 9pm on Wednesday night only. None overtly force me to watch ads, though they all do to a certain extent. Hell, even the movie theatre gives me a choice of times to watch the movie, even though I do have to watch ads.

2) Watch only at the specific times they tell me to (unless I use their PVR).

3) Watch ads.

It's a rip-off of monumental proportions.

Now, these rip-off artists try to take away the content I was viewing somewhere else, in a vain attempt to force me to maintain a cable subscription in addition to what I'm already paying for content?

No thanks. I, and I alone, will decide when I watch. That's why I've bought some DVDs of TV seasons for shows I absolutely want to watch.

GRRR! I'd boycott these clowns if I wasn't already.

Really, what are you going on about? This article has pretty much NOTHING to do with the cable/television networks. It's about the studios.

As for your rant about TV, maybe you don't know that 2) and 3) on your list have ALWAYS been a part of television viewing. It's not like something has suddenly fundamentally changed. Further, TV shows AREN'T disappearing from iTunes or Netflix streaming, MOVIES are. So if you prefer to pay Apple $1.99-2.99 an episode, you can still happily do that. Or happily still wait for the DVD.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Could we not get a ban on dumb asses who like to come here and brag about pirating stuff? And maybe forward their user info to the MPAA in the process...

.... on what... pirating tv shows? That is broadcasted over the airwaves? For free?
  • Reply 30 of 40
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

My favorite online retailer, The Pirate Bay, hasn't removed any movies from my watch list. And they provide them in a DRM free format, even 1080P.

Sheldon

Exactimo - this pissing about by the big boys sure is a shot in the arm for PB and MN et al. For me, renting is the best way because it is near instant - but ultimately I go where the content is. And buying is out of the question. What would I do with all those dvd's?
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

.... on what... pirating tv shows? That is broadcasted over the airwaves? For free?

This article was about MOVIES not TV SHOWS. Thus it's about pirating MOVIES. And really, I'm sick of the dumb asses here bragging about pirating content (movies or music). Sorry if it offends you that I have an issue with people gleefully admitting they like to steal stuff. And people wonder why the studios are so set on DRM. It's because of dumb asses like that who feel they're entitled to things they haven't paid for.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

This article was about MOVIES not TV SHOWS. Thus it's about pirating MOVIES. And really, I'm sick of the dumb asses here bragging about pirating content (movies or music). Sorry if it offends you that I have an issue with people gleefully admitting they like to steal stuff. And people wonder why the studios are so set on DRM. It's because of dumb asses like that who feel they're entitled to things they haven't paid for.

No the article was about movies ON TV as TV showings.

TV... SHOWING MOVIES. OVER AIR WAVES. FOR FREE. i.e. it was a TV STUDIO showing a MOVIE (that disappears from itunes / netflix) OVER AIR.

You can be pissed off all you want, but we're all entitled to free speech. If someone brags about pirating on an open system like pirate bay... odds are they will get caught and have to deal with the consequences. There will always be piracy no matter what. Getting them not to talk about it isn't going to solve the problem of piracy, and therefor won't solve the problem of you being pissed off about piracy.

With that being said, someone who brags about pirating DESERVES to be caught and probably will be some day.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    whoa. bad discussion.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

These execs just don't get it. They get so blinded by greed and fearful of power that they make these dumb decisions. They only hurt themselves. How many times does it need to be proven that the iTunes model works. People are willing to legally buy movies and music if it is reasonably priced. But if they start messing with things again, people will just go back to illegal downloads.

Apple TV is only a small portion of users buying movies off iTunes. These execs are making a huge mistake, a lot of people buying these movies want to watch them on their computer or iPod/iPhone. That is not market they can convert to pay per view, just dumb dumb dumb.

& they wonder why they have piracy issues with people downloading off bittorrent. I don't condone it but those who do steal videos off the web justify it by the increasing greed of these execs.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Maybe there are laws that could prevent this market to become a monopoly
  • Reply 36 of 40
    You make a lot of assumptions. I have *never* paid for cable or satellite *ever*. I had it for free in an apartment building that split the cable, but that's it. So when I complain about the state of television, I complain about the way *it's always been*. Paying for TV *and* having to watch ads is ludicrous.

Actually, I would prefer to rent TV shows from Apple for less than what I would pay to buy them, since I intend to watch the show only once. That's what Apple should do, and would make AppleTV actually live up to the name.

Quote:

Really, what are you going on about? This article has pretty much NOTHING to do with the cable/television networks. It's about the studios.

As for your rant about TV, maybe you don't know that 2) and 3) on your list have ALWAYS been a part of television viewing. It's not like something has suddenly fundamentally changed. Further, TV shows AREN'T disappearing from iTunes or Netflix streaming, MOVIES are. So if you prefer to pay Apple $1.99-2.99 an episode, you can still happily do that. Or happily still wait for the DVD.

• Reply 37 of 40
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    And they/we/everyone wonders why SJ is so emphatic about his content deals. While brick & mortar retailers have a vested interest (in those bricks & mortar) Apple also have a vested interest in their product install base - they're not just selling content for profit.

It does show fear on the part of the incumbents that broadcasters would insist on studios excluding online retailers from distributing the content and the studios are keen to ensure iTunes/netflix don't run away with the market. It reinforces the credibility of the download model. They have nothing to worry about though, the fly in the ointment for the online retailer's market will be ISP capacity capping.

McD
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkimage View Post

Hmmm. Sometimes, when I see that a network/channel will be showing a movie I have been interested in seeing, I will go and rent or buy it?especially if I forgot about the title. That way I don't have to see all the commercials.

You'd think that they would want to have the increased interest in their movies?and some money to go along with it. I guess that I will have to go to a brick and mortar store until they get their heads screwed on straight and let me buy it on iTunes, etc. It just better have digital copy included with the DVD version.

I don't understand this either. They want to make money from us via the ads on the aired show. So, they prevent themselves from earning money from us via Netflix/iTunes.

They're shooting themselves in the foot here.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Sorry cNet.

This has nothing to do with windows or premium channels. This is a negotiation tactic pure and simple.

I went to netflix and viewed my "instant" viewing queue. Out of 49 movies, 22 where scheduled to be removed by Jan 1. That is 45% of a random sample of movies are going to be gone in a couple of weeks. Some of these movies where from 1966 and not exactly in high demand. ie: Dual at Diablo: 1966 or The Hunter: 1980. I doubt that the cable or sat companies want to show these dogs. Channels like Starz or TCM maybe... Nobody I know is willing to sit through commercials to watch these old B rated movies. The advertisers need to understand how the "previous channel" button works. I cancelled my directTV subscription because most of the crap they put on is not worth it. So called hundreds of channels and nothing to watch but informercials. Does it make sense to pay money to be advertised to? Not to me. I much prefer the freedom to choose what I watch and when. I think the broadcast/cable/sat model is doomed anyhow.

A call to the Netflix folks resulted in me being told that the rights to all these movies are set to expire on or about the same date. I asked how the rights to movies negotiated with each individual studio could possibly be set to expire on the same date. I was told that studios issue their licenses for a specified period of time. I assume that the agreement with the various studios all went into affect at the same time. Anything else is fodder for the FTC.

Netflix will have to re-negotiate the licenses and put them back on the servers. This seems like a terrible waste of time. Perhaps companies like Netflix can disable them without actually removing them. I was told that the "Instant" view was wildly popular, and that the industry is scrambling to make sure that they each get their share of the pie. I don't mind somebody getting their fare piece, but greed can be a powerful motivator. Only competition keeps it in check.

Regards
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppBeacon View Post

I don't understand this either. They want to make money from us via the ads on the aired show. So, they prevent themselves from earning money from us via Netflix/iTunes.

They're shooting themselves in the foot here.

This because there are two agencies and you are mixing them. The first is the studios, they want to maximize the value of their content. Then there are the networks, they want to sell the most eyeballs to the advertisers. To get the largest set of eyeballs the networks want to be the only game in town and will demand exclusivity. The online services, while bringing in some money, supposedly are not bringing in enough money to offset the the drop in fees that the networks are willing to pay for non-exclusivity. So until the online business gets bigger we will continue to have this problem.

And again there is ibuzz's comment. There ought to be a law against this sort of thing.