Are netbooks shrinking Apple's slice of the portable market?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 186
    The price and size of 'netbooks' make them almost irresistible, despite OS grumbles. Most come in Linux versions, if you feel above the Win 'rabble'. But, they just work for most laptop usage, are cheap, fit in a tiny bag, can be used in 'coach', can be made secure (TrueCrypt).

Apple will likely come-out with 'high-end' netbook ala Sony TT (Oh, maybe it's the Air?) to satisfy the need for exclusivity. The MSI Wind (modded to OSX) w/ LED backlit etc. is sure appealing at $420.
  • Reply 62 of 186
    Got my Wind for $349. Runs OS X 10.5.5 just fine. No netbook from Apple. Period. Not gonna happen.
  • Reply 63 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Of course...to anyone with low standards, an Eee 901 running a crippled Mac OS X is perfectly fine.

Anything can be perfectly fine so long as one's standard is lowered sufficiently. To a lot of people, a 200 dollar PC running Windows is fantastic.

Anyway, the netbook market is a suicidal market. I'd love to see Apple drop its profit margins and give us more affordable products, but Apple will never do this. Even in economic turmoil.

The netbook market is more along the lines of 450.00 to 500.00 not 200.00.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15435..._netbooks.html

Based on the power or I should say lack of power of the MacBook Air these systems aren't that far behind and you can buy them at a rate of 4 to 1.

Also maybe this isn't based on standards but based on need. My desktop gaming system could blow away anything anyone has on this forum yet I don't need to spend 2000.00 to sit on my back deck and surf the web and update an excel spreadsheet.

The Apple elite attitude has really become pathetic over the years.
  • Reply 64 of 186
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    What I found really funny was somebody insisting in another thread that a used 12" Powerbook G4 makes a fine netbook. Right. A 4.6 pound machine is just as attractive as one that weighs half that. Running a processor that's four or five generations behind and won't even run some current Intel-only Mac software. Graphics chip so slow that it can't even play back H.264 movies. That maxes out at only 1.1GB of RAM instead of 2. With only USB 1.1 ports instead of 2.0. An LCD screen up to seven years old, faded and far dimmer than current screens even when new. That can't dual-boot and can run Windows only in the dog-slow VirtualPC rather than Parallels or VMWare. With only 802.11b instead of 802.11g or n. No card reader or webcam. A battery pack that may have only a hundred charge cycles left. And you can have all this pre-owned goodness for only the same price (or even more) as a brand, spanking new netbook complete with warranty. Yeah, I'm sure people will be lining up with wallets in hand for those.
  • Reply 65 of 186
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I cannot see this being a common trend. If you have been using Macs for all of these years you have no Windows software. I cannot speak for your financial situation. But most people are not going to buy software for both Mac and PC.

I live in Fort Green in Brooklyn. I cannot speak for the hundreds of thousands of other people living in my neighborhood. But when I go to the neighborhood coffee shop. I mostly see MacBooks and full Windows notebooks. I see netbooks here and there, far more people own iPhones and Blackberry for mobile internet and email.

At $400 they are practically an impulse buy in computer terms. I think the media are really trying to hype netbooks but it still remains to be seen if they last in the long run.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Not in the least. I've been a Mac apologist since my Mac Plus and have two Macs at home and three at work. When it came time for a small, cheap laptop for non-critical use that had to be the price of a netbook and the size of a netbook for the third computer in the family...I got a netbook. A $400 Asus and everyone who uses it couldn't be happier. And my neighborhood (NYC) is filled with people who did the same.

In fact, I'm buying two more as presents tomorrow.

I practically never sat in front of a Windows computer in my entire life and never chose to for the OS. I needed a small $400 laptop that wouldn't be crap and I got it. If there was a new $550 Apple the size of the Asus I likely would have bought it.

• Reply 66 of 186
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Windows users are already used to buying a POS cheap computer, no wonder they enjoy using a Netbook. Mac users enjoy quality. If Apple released a $300 Netbook, it won't be as nice as their other products.

Mate, that is so shallow...
  • Reply 67 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Of course...to anyone with low standards, an Eee 901 running a crippled Mac OS X is perfectly fine.

Anything can be perfectly fine so long as one's standard is lowered sufficiently. To a lot of people, a 200 dollar PC running Windows is fantastic.

This is the same crap statement I hear from Macheads all the time. (I own an iPhone, FWIW). I get so tired of hearing this, especially when it comes to running Windows. I haven't used Vista yet, but know that XP is an excellent product. If one really only needs to surf the net and check email, it really doesn't matter what operating system they have installed. And no, OS X doesn't surf the net any better than XP or Vista.
  • Reply 68 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

One more computer to maintain? one more clamshell to wrestle with? Nope! All we need is a bigger iPod Touch with:

- a 7" or 9" screen - enough real estate to reasonably edit documents and really great for web, media, and games

- ability to run a couple of apps in the background

- cut and paste, etc.

- even better, a bundled and simplified iWork set of apps

- screen display output to a connected monitor or TV

with "cloud" file storage like MobileMe and streaming media from online portals, we don't need a big SSD like a laptop. just 16G is enough. 32G is luxury.

one great accomplishment of the iPhone/Touch is that their simplified OS X system software is so so much easier for a user to set up and maintain than a standard computer, and that the third-party focused-purpose apps for it are so much simpler and easier to buy, set up, and update than standard computer applications.

that's why a bigger Touch would immediately capture half the netbook market. if Jobs would just stop being so damn stubborn and give us the chance.

and yes, i'd pay $499 for one.

That would pretty much be tablet PC form. Tablets lost miserably in PC segment, can't see them having big success in Mac World.

For fully functional computer (which netbooks are, though a bit on the slower side), you simply need proper keyboard - as good as you can get. Fingering screen simply can not replace mechanical keyboard - even a small, low quality one (not that most netbooks have bad kbd at all). And having 9" screen permanently exposed on highly portable device? How long would it survive..?

I don't know how good or bad OS in iPhone is... but can you plug in printer, external HDD, share data over network, connect digital camera and copy images from it, plug wired network at all..? Can you install normal, full featured apps? Once you start adding functionality and compatibility to iPhone OS, you end up with having (almost) fully featured OS.
  • Reply 69 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I cannot see this being a common trend. If you have been using Macs for all of these years you have no Windows software. I cannot speak for your financial situation. But most people are not going to buy software for both Mac and PC.

I live in Fort Green in Brooklyn. I cannot speak for the hundreds of thousands of other people living in my neighborhood. But when I go to the neighborhood coffee shop. I mostly see MacBooks and full Windows notebooks. I see netbooks here and there, far more people own iPhones and Blackberry for mobile internet and email.

At $400 they are practically an impulse buy in computer terms. I think the media are really trying to hype netbooks but it still remains to be seen if they last in the long run.

You are forgetting netbooks are selling only for a year. While they sell extremely well, number of already owned notebooks is huge. Give netbooks another year of current sales and you'll see change easily.

Now consider this: most manufacturers still make and sell entry-level Celeron based notebooks with 1GB of RAM and 80+ GB drives. Obviously, they still sell and they do the job for casual users - people who will email and browse Internet, maybe copy photos from P&S camera... but not much more than that. Netbooks hardware is comparable performance wise - you sacrifice bigger screen and built-in optical disk for portability and better battery performance. It is fair trade, from my point of view.
  • Reply 70 of 186
    Why don't Apple make a netbook type enclosing for the iPhone/Touch. Or would this be a terrible, terrible idea?
  • Reply 71 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

One more computer to maintain? one more clamshell to wrestle with? Nope! All we need is a bigger iPod Touch with:

- a 7" or 9" screen - enough real estate to reasonably edit documents and really great for web, media, and games

- ability to run a couple of apps in the background

- cut and paste, etc.

- even better, a bundled and simplified iWork set of apps

- screen display output to a connected monitor or TV

with "cloud" file storage like MobileMe and streaming media from online portals, we don't need a big SSD like a laptop. just 16G is enough. 32G is luxury.

one great accomplishment of the iPhone/Touch is that their simplified OS X system software is so so much easier for a user to set up and maintain than a standard computer, and that the third-party focused-purpose apps for it are so much simpler and easier to buy, set up, and update than standard computer applications.

that's why a bigger Touch would immediately capture half the netbook market. if Jobs would just stop being so damn stubborn and give us the chance.

and yes, i'd pay $499 for one.

Spot on - the "apple needs to do a tablet right" story and the "apple needs to be in the netbook" story are the same. Trying to cheapen a macbook makes it seem hard to get the costs down - grow an iPod touch and it's easy to see how they'll make something low cost...

... and we haven't seen very adventurous multi-touch yet!.. and that's surely wht people will pay a bit more. I guess it would need a new SDK and iTunes app store too. I bet they'll show it in Jan but sell it mid year. ?
  • Reply 72 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameshopkins View Post

Why don't Apple make a netbook type enclosing for the iPhone/Touch. Or would this be a terrible, terrible idea?

they could certainly do a low end 'iPad' that only has wifi and tethers to iPhone - starts at [nice low price] - 8gig maybe .... and a high end 3g number with more memory...
  • Reply 73 of 186
    ... if the new product is expected to bring in more than than old one. Remember the iPod mini that fell victim to the iPod nano?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wwrightstufff View Post

... Apple evaluates its current products when bringing a new product to the market. If the new product will take sales from another apple will not bring that product to market.

• Reply 74 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

The perfect NetBook (first picture) with full Mac OS X 10.5.5 inside, VGA-out port for full-blown presentations from NATIVE Keynote and PowerPoint files, Ethernet port and Firewire ports to transfer large files, audio, video and repairs via Target Disk Mode. Touch screen.

Next Apple moves will be Books and Games?

http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09...ooks-and-games

Like the OQO, but with Mac inside:

OQO model 02

OQO model e2

http://www.oqo.com

We need thousands for our University.

I was considering buying one of those things, but after doing some reading it dawned on me, this devise is not very practical.

I found a OQO2 1.6 GHz with 120GB HD on eBay in perfect condition with a Buy It Now price of only $900!! After I read the sellers comment, I was convinced that this device is really only a gadget and nothing more. The seller stated and I quote "I bought this about a year ago and used it frequently until I got my I-Phone 3G. I don't use the OQO frequently enough now to justify it."

Don't believe me? Check this out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OQO-Model-02-1-6...QQcmdZViewItem
  • Reply 75 of 186
    They just mash together the cheapest possible components, without any innovation. Apple will NEVER do that! I think any thought along the lines of a Maxi-iPod Touch is much more reasonable.

BTW, the margins you get out of Netbooks this way are razor-thin! I think this statistic is by counting units, so making 15$ on a 300$-netbook weighs the same as making 400$ off a 2000$ MacBook Pro. Go figure ...
  • Reply 76 of 186
    Apple will have to release some sort of "NetBook" at MacWorld next month or Wall Street in all their wisdom will cry further tales of "Apple is t3h D00med... All your iPhone base are belong to PC netbook".

That said, elevator pictures, mockups, website fakes and china-cases of the new Apple Tablet/Mac Touch/'NetBook' will make a very interesting few weeks after Christmas.

Updated "Teh Sexay" iMac 20", 24"

Unibody 17" MacBook Pro

Apple HDTV 30 and 42" with AppleTV integrated ( )

and... ONE MORE THING.

BOOM!

Oh the insanity has already started...
  • Reply 77 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by financegozu View Post

They just mash together the cheapest possible components, without any innovation. Apple will NEVER do that! I think any thought along the lines of a Maxi-iPod Touch is much more reasonable.

BTW, the margins you get out of Netbooks this way are razor-thin! I think this statistic is by counting units, so making 15$ on a 300$-netbook weighs the same as making 400$ off a 2000$ MacBook Pro. Go figure ...

The key, key, key thing for Apple here is, in lieu of such economic madness, is that if the Apple "NetBook" is going to have 3G, which it should, Apple will very likely leverage all their iPhone 3G sales channels.

Think about it.

Apple will be pushing hard to continue to grow the Mac platform, etc etc. All good, though the numbers will never live up to the analysts' expectations.

However, the iPod line is now "cannon fodder".

Now let's look at the iPhone 3G.

Apple's leverage of global iPhone 3G sales, contracts, and very expanded sales channels through all the telco providers, make this the best way of introducing the NetBook.

So you've got iPhone 3G as it is, then the upsell (for example, through AT&T USA) is ---

BOOM! Mac Touch 3G.

Apple continues to push the higher-margin Mac desktop and portable platform through 2009, while having the "backup" of having all their telco partners share the risk of the iPhone 3G line and the Mac Touch 3G/NetBook line.

I mean, next month, Apple slips an ultra-sexy "netbook"-thingy into the market, it will be iPhone 3G madness all over again.

Throw gaming into the mix, I mean, right now, Steve is

*conceptually surfing the zone between the MacBook Air and the iPhone 3G and he is loving it*

Get ready for the bright spot in January 2009 while the rest of the world screams doom and gloom.

Steve turns GLOOM, into BOOM!

(Yeah, I don't know why I never made it to becoming a journalist or hack writer of some sort...)
  • Reply 78 of 186
    Obama-Jobs . Your choice for election 2012 .

[TV Reporter]

"The man the Democrats claim turned gloom into 'boom', is now the front-runner for Vice President..."
  • Reply 79 of 186
    Well, the first big problem with the netbooks is that most, AFAIK, cannot be used in a simple, landscape, touch/tablet mode. Apple does this well, and it would smoke all these mini wannabes.

Next, imagine a netbook that is a Mac... just like a book, with two touchscreens on the inner side... NO PHYSICAL KEYBOARD SO YOU MAXIMISE THE DUAL-SCREEN space--It's a netbook, an e-Book, a touchscreen, a gaming-thing, a Mac, an Ultra NintendoDS-esque thing.

Oh boy...

The EDU and BIZ (sales, etc) market will go bananas over this.

I've gotta get to doing a mockup of my vision... Feeling insanely inspired right now. Time to take my meds.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

The perfect NetBook (first picture) with full Mac OS X 10.5.5 inside, VGA-out port for full-blown presentations from NATIVE Keynote and PowerPoint files, Ethernet port and Firewire ports to transfer large files, audio, video and repairs via Target Disk Mode. Touch screen.

Next Apple moves will be Books and Games…

http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09...ooks-and-games

Like the OQO, but with Mac inside:

OQO model 02

OQO model e2

http://www.oqo.com

We need thousands for our University.

• Reply 80 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

How would sales of netbooks loaded with XP hurt MS?

The Top 13 netbooks are loaded with XP.

Because usually those netbooks have a HDD ??

I reckon AIs interest in these posts is so they can post the usual "as we noted back in..." bollocks that will likely also mention the geographical location of Apples HQ in California ?? anyone agree?

----

Been looking into these over the last few days, I couldn't bring myself to run XP so it was a matter of assessing which flavour of Linux was best.. THEN IT DAWNED ON ME!

despite not being what you would call a Hacker, I surmised it would be a viable option to follow some instructions and install OSX. BOOM! so to speak.

and IF I got it working, I could buy a Leopard disc.

but its xmas, and then Jan and Macworld, to do I wait?? dunno, will be checking my bank today to see whats possible! they are so cheap as to be practically an impulse buy!

Would REALLY like to see where Apple would go with the concept.

1200 x 900 display? (res independence?)

9 or 10" (anything bigger is silly)

all SSD 32GB

induction charging ??

the old (cheap) trackpads

kinda have to be plastic to build to cost (which might stop them)

or will they just lower the price of the white macbook by $100 and everyone will think "BOOO!"