Apple's Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update may be around the corner

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this week is believed throwing the finishing touches on Mac OS X 10.5.6, the last planned maintenance and security update for Leopard during the 2008 calendar year.

Developers on Wednesday were reportedly equipped with build 9G55 of the software, which included no noticeable changes from the build (9G52) that was distributed five days earlier.

Separately, people familiar with the matter say Mac OS X 10.5.6 Server was also synched up with the client software and now carries the same build number, typically a telltale sign that both distributions are being primed for a public release.

Another sign of a near immediate release is that both the client and server distributions currently reflect no known issues, those same people say. The client software reportedly weighs in at around 370MB while the server update is a bit heftier at 470MB.

Previous coverage of Mac OS X 10.5.6 reveals the client update to bundle more than 100 bug fixes and enhancements. One specific focus has been improving MobileMe's automatic syncing, particularly on portable computers connected to networks with medium to high latency or constrained bandwidth.

Throughout the beta test, the Mac maker had also been requesting feedback on MobileMe syncing from users who may reside behind firewalls, asking they watch for excessive syncing or abnormal syncs.

Apple began external testing of Mac OS X 10.5.6 in late October. At the time, it was noted that a list of focus areas presented to developers was the most extensive yet for a Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard maintenance release. In total, more than 80 core system components had seen modifications and were in need of evaluation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    Win

My bet is for a release on Friday or Monday.

Obviously i'm hoping it will come out today but i'm not holding my breath.

Adi
  • Reply 2 of 74
    I swear, Apple better fix the MBP problem with continuous dropping of airport wireless signal in this update. And yes, I've tried everything.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpkelly1 View Post

I swear, Apple better fix the MBP problem with continuous dropping of airport wireless signal in this update. And yes, I've tried everything.

So you've tried the sonic screwdriver then?
  • Reply 4 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

So you've tried the sonic screwdriver then?

I have the same problem. And the sonic screwdriver doesn't even work.
  • Reply 5 of 74
    I've had no problems with 10.5.5, of course, I don't have MobileMe.

I've had my Airport Extreme up and running in my house for over 6 months without any problem for my iMac and Macbook Pro. It's worked flawlessly.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    I came to Mac in August after using Windows from the gecko...

I must say they have just as many issues as Windows... lol

Hoping 10.5.6 will fix the issues with Time Machine Errors
  • Reply 7 of 74
    Nice to see, but at the OS level things are working pretty good here.

What I'd kill for is a LOGIC update, some bug fixes and stability improvements.

(typing this while waiting for Logic to reload my session after just crashing...)
  • Reply 8 of 74
    Quote:

AMEN to that!!

They need to fix this now!!!

• Reply 9 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Hoping 10.5.6 will fix the issues with Time Machine Errors

What errors? My TM has worked perfectly.
  • Reply 10 of 74
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I think it is funny to say no known issues and have a sharing permission problem that gets carried away into utter chaos that they know about. Maybe they will fix it the problem in this release.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    I think this article makes sense, Apple cannot afford to have their top programmers working on SL till July, they need them to work on updating the iPhone software. It's a lesson we learned back in 2007, Apple delayed Leopard for six months to work on the iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I think it is funny to say no known issues and have a sharing permission problem that gets carried away into utter chaos that they know about. Maybe they will fix it the problem in this release.

There are always issues with any OS. "No known issues" just means they have a list of goals for this release and those goals are met with no known issues.
  • Reply 13 of 74
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I came to Mac in August after using Windows from the gecko...

*psst* If you mean 'from the beginning', then the phrase is 'from the get go', not 'from the gecko'.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

*psst* If you mean 'from the beginning', then the phrase is 'from the get go', not 'from the gecko'.

What do you mean?

• Reply 15 of 74
    Quote:

I swear, Apple better fix the MBP problem with continuous dropping of airport wireless signal in this update.

So if they don't, what will you swear to do then?
  • Reply 16 of 74
    Apple is always blamed for problems that users have whether it's their software's fault or not. It's my experience that many of the problems I see here and elsewhere complained about are in fact conflicts from the users setup, improper setting, or third party software they use.

I've always tried to keep my iMac systems virgin and free from programs that do not have a long MAC reputation of working with Apple. My computer is usually rock solid stable and I don't get those problems that other claim with every OS or Security update. I suspect that Mac converts from the Windows world and geeks that love to modify their system software or try every shareware program that catches their eye are the one's having crashes and stability problems with there Macs.

When many people with the same configurations don't have the problem that others claim, maybe it's the setup, settings, or a software conflict with something they are using that is causing the complaints. That's Not Apple fault.

Sure Apple has given us bugs but the Mac "so called" power users and Windows programmers writing software for the Mac world have given us many more headaches. It makes the Apple platform look bad to those who don't know better and probably is the main reason Apple is strictly controlling iPhone development. That's just my opinion but I've gathered it from monitoring the MacFixIt forums and others like it for many years.
  • Reply 17 of 74
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm on board with others that WiFi must be fixed! It is the only cronic problem on my MBP.

Of course the other bug fixes are also welcomed. I'm also hoping that video acceleration gets back ported to the spring 2008 MBP. In any event sounds like an Apple Christmas present.

Dave
  • Reply 18 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

It's my experience that many of the problems I see here and elsewhere complained about are in fact conflicts from the users setup, improper setting, or third party software they use.

In some cases that's the case, but in many cases the problem is with either Apple's OS, apps, or hardware. There are plenty of cases of problems on virgin macs running no third party stuff at all.

Some problems are simply intermittent, just because someone else is running the same thing without a problem doesn't necessarily mean it's the user's fault.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    I wanna know when they are going to update OS9. Been waitin' forever...
  • Reply 20 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

In some cases that's the case, but in many cases the problem is with either Apple's OS, apps, or hardware. There are plenty of cases of problems on virgin macs running no third party stuff at all.

Some problems are simply intermittent, just because someone else is running the same thing without a problem doesn't necessarily mean it's the user's fault.

Sure I agree with you. Apple has had its share of whoppers but I think the larger share of proposed bugs, excluding hardware defects, are user oriented even if they seem intermittent. It's usually a third party driver that is not playing nice. Apple has to hunt it down, sometimes it's Apple's fault by changing code but many times its not. This is more noticeable in the OOP programming that constitutes Mac OSX these days. Remember Conflict Catcher? The problem drove us crazy back in the days of system 6 and 7.

However, I don't disagree with what you're saying but I do believe we are both right.