EFi-X USA to sell pre-made PCs as do-it-yourself Mac clones

Comments

• Reply 81 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Uh, pretty much anything can be fought in court. Hopefully most issues never actually get to court but are dropped or settled long before then.

I would argue that EFi-X might well be legally challenged by Apple and shutdown on grounds that their dongle assists people in the commission of a crime (copyright infringement).

Of course you know that doesn't mean they were legal.

Wrong! Apple cannot serve a cease and desist to websites that unlock or jailbreak iPhones either. Neither can satellite TV companies send a cease and desist to units that capture their signal and decode it, all those cases were tried and lost.

Saying that EFi-X assists people in committing crime is the same as saying knives, and forks assist people in committing crimes.
  • Reply 82 of 217
    I researched building a Hackintosh a few months back and every path I took was missing a single item. Just that alone would keep me from recommending a build or 3rd party Mac to anyone, the worry of it all keeps me from having the complete experience. Will it upgrade, what if it breaks, what part of the system or next upgrade won't work, etc.

I know these are questions that all mac users have, but I feel better knowing I can call and get support for the issue.
  • Reply 83 of 217
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    APPLE, GET THE MESSAGE!

A powerful, yet headless Mac is needed!

When will release Apple a miniTOWER??
  • Reply 84 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

I have a Mac at home that started of at Jaguar (10.2) and is now running Leopard (10.5). Imagine how many people would be pissed off if a Mac they bought today couldn't run 10.7?

more like how many folks that have a g4/g5 are going to be pissed when they find out that snow leopard only runs on intel processors. cause I am hearing that that is going to be the case.
  • Reply 85 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

. . . is to just go ahead and make the computer that clone makers are offering themselves. Apple doesn't make a computer that fits the target market that so many Mac users are clammering for so clone makers are trying to fill the obvious gaping void in the Apple product line.

that target audience is very small compared to all the folks that have bought what is being offered without complaint.

so what is apple going to do, cheapen things to fit maybe 5% of their market, or spend their time and money on improving things for the other 95%.
  • Reply 86 of 217
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

that target audience is very small compared to all the folks that have bought what is being offered without complaint.

so what is apple going to do, cheapen things to fit maybe 5% of their market, or spend their time and money on improving things for the other 95%.

Your numbers have no basis and are nothing but a (poor) assumption.

People have been wanting a mid-range headless desktop since Apple stopped making them, the AI forums have been proof of this(for about 9-10 years now). I think now if anytime there is more and more of a need for this since there are other people trying to capitalize on Apple's oversight of not offering a headless mid-range Mac.

Seriously, a mid-tower that is lighter and smaller than the Mac Pro. Hell even one optical drive, one or two PCIe slots, one PCI Express 2.0 x16 and then PCI Express x1 (even to limit people from installing SLI / CrossFire setups), two HD bays then the standards ports and we're good. I would easily pay a $200 - 300 premium for an apple offering over a hackintosh equivalent.
  • Reply 87 of 217
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    With just a few additions to the lineup, and upgrading their current models in a timely fashion, Apple could probably be putting all those wannabe clone makers out of business. And with a few additions, I'm not saying becoming Dell or HP:

DESKTOP

- update the Mac mini to current cpus/chipset ($599 and up)

- update the iMac to LED-BL displays and 65W quad-core cpus ($1299 and up)

- Mac Pro in two REAL versions: uniprocessor (Core i7/X58) starting at $1299/1499, dual-processor (Xeons/Tylersburg) starting at $2999 (or so)

NOTEBOOKS

- netbook running on ARM or Atom (whatever suits Apple the best) $599/799

- smaller MacBook to replace the $999 white MacBook at $899/1099, 11-12" display

- continue to give the 13" MacBook good features (and a 1440*900 display?) $1299 and up

- keep updating the MBA to faster cpus as they are released by intel (2.00GHz in Q2/Q3 2009), lower the price whenever possible

- move the 15" MBP to 1680*1050 display, speebump, $1999 and up

- release the unibody 17" MBP with a 1920*1200 display, speedbump

That's just one new desktop platform and two new notebook form factors.

Desktops will go from $599 (dual-core/2 threads @ 2.00GHz) to about $4999 (dual-quad core/16 threads @ 3.20GHz). With a steady increase in performance: DC/2 threads, QC/4threads, QC/8 threads, 2xQC/16 threads).

Notebooks will go from (probably) $599/7" display to $2799/17" display (up to about 3.0GHz in 2009). With a steady increase in performance and screen size: 7"/9" - 11" - 13" - 15" - 17".

Most of these suggestions are already planned (or should be for 2009), the few novelties shouldn't be too much of a threat to other products and, anyway, it is better to cannibalise ones own products than to get sales stolen by other manufacturers, suppliers, DIYers, used/refurbished, etc... A few additions will not mutate Apple's DNA nor push them in making junk. Expect for the netbooks (that could be part of the iPod lines rather than the Mac lines) all those additions are within Apple's current price scheme/margins.
  • Reply 88 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

yeah i was thinking that thru all 5 iphone 3g replacements.

the apple experience is a joke and a con.

I haven't had to replace any of my Apple products ever. And I've been an Apple user since 1994.

Sorry you're having such bad luck.
  • Reply 89 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

...a midrange tower and I *swear* I won't buy a competitor's hardware. I *like* your hardware. I just want something I can upgrade that doesn't cost a bazillion dollars.

Amen, don't call it:

Mac Mini Pro

Mac Pro Mini

Call it 'Mac'

mac mini < iMac < Mac < Mac Pro

Makes sense to me.

-Matt
  • Reply 90 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

The cloners are circling Apple's wagon. I don't believe Apple will be able to fend them all off and will eventually have to give in. They may be forced to give in.

You are full of yourself, aren't you? Just because someone makes a product, doesn't mean they have to give it away to everyone for them to use as their own. Get a clue. Apple has the right to hold copyrights on their product and only allow it to be used on their products. That is not illegal, that is not a monopoly.

You don't go car shopping and buy a Toyota and tell them you like their car, but are going to force them to use a Honda engine instead. Get a clue. They can tell you to fuck off and it is not illegal.
  • Reply 91 of 217
    So now this one company is basically using another company's product without their endorsement? Yeah, they have nothing to worry about in the court system!

What a piece of shit computer. I don't want a computer to look like a refrigerator! They can keep their piece of shit...just like all other Windows PC's.
  • Reply 92 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hombrephaty View Post

I (and many others) have been clamoring for a lower-cost Mac tower for... oh... only 15 years now.

C'mon, Steve. Don't blow your chance at market share (for the hundredth time)

Where have you been? They had low cost towers, called Power Mac G4's. If you want a piece of shit $500 tower, go buy a Windows PC.

Did you read the article? This POS knock-off hack is $1,899! Is this the "low-cost" tower you are looking for? That is $400 more than the last Power Mac G4, and was the starting price of a Power Mac G5. So your argument is of course pointless. A Mac Pro starts at $2,299. Wow, you are saving a ton of money with this new "low-cost" tower! What a bargain!

Apple is already selling millions of Macs, so Steve knows what people want, and it isn't a low-cost tower.
  • Reply 93 of 217
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Seems that in the end this is not happening:

efi-x-shuts-down-efi-x-usa-says-it-doesnt-support-mac-clones
  • Reply 94 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

I think they already have. Check out the new displayport adapter with it's DRM. What is to stop apple from using that chip as the key to the kingdom? No apple DRM chip, no play. The only wrench in those works, is all the legacy computers that they still support. But that means in 3 years, this problem goes away when support for older models rolls off.

Sheldon

Apple did not put HDCP (DRM) on the DisplayPort. HOLLYWOOD required it since Apple is now selling HD content. HDCP has been required on any digital output (DVI, HDMI, now DisplayPort for computers) since as early as 2003. This is nothing new, this has nothing to do with computers. This is to protect HD content from being copied in the digital form, and HOLLYWOOD doesn't want you to do it.
  • Reply 95 of 217
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Wrong!

No, you're wrong!

Quote:

Saying that EFi-X assists people in committing crime is the same as saying knives, and forks assist people in committing crimes.

That's only because knives and forks have other uses besides committing crimes. The EFi-X dongle would seem to have only one purpose: to assist with copyright infringement.
  • Reply 96 of 217
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CDonG4 View Post

Your numbers have no basis and are nothing but a (poor) assumption.

People have been wanting a mid-range headless desktop since Apple stopped making them, the AI forums have been proof of this(for about 9-10 years now). I think now if anytime there is more and more of a need for this since there are other people trying to capitalize on Apple's oversight of not offering a headless mid-range Mac.

Seriously, a mid-tower that is lighter and smaller than the Mac Pro. Hell even one optical drive, one or two PCIe slots, one PCI Express 2.0 x16 and then PCI Express x1 (even to limit people from installing SLI / CrossFire setups), two HD bays then the standards ports and we're good. I would easily pay a $200 - 300 premium for an apple offering over a hackintosh equivalent.

Right and these posts on these forums probably amount to even less than 5 percent of Apple's customers.
  • Reply 97 of 217
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

No, you're wrong!

That's only because knives and forks have other uses besides committing crimes. The EFi-X dongle would seem to have only one purpose: to assist with copyright infringement.

Wrong. EFI-X also allows you to have a graphical boot screen to easily select between multiple OS installs, whether they be Linux, Windows or OS X.
  • Reply 98 of 217
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CDonG4 View Post

Installing OS X on a non Apple machine isn't a copyright infringement to the OS.

Yes, it does violate the copyright if a person doesn't have a license to make such a copy from the copyright holder (Apple) or from a bona fide third party with a license from Apple to sublicense. (Good luck trying to find such a third party).

Quote:

It might violate the EULA.

It does violate the EULA.

Quote:

However I'm feeling Apple might be pigeonholing themselves in for an antitrust opportunity.

Pfft! There's nothing stopping people from cloning Mac OS X, except for all the elbow grease required, as long as any relevant patents aren't violated in the process. And patents are a government-sanctioned type of "monopoly."
  • Reply 99 of 217
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

So now this one company is basically using another company's product without their endorsement? Yeah, they have nothing to worry about in the court system!

What a piece of shit computer. I don't want a computer to look like a refrigerator! They can keep their piece of shit...just like all other Windows PC's.

Dude you had me cracking me with your last 2 posts but well said.
  • Reply 100 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

. . . is to just go ahead and make the computer that clone makers are offering themselves. Apple doesn't make a computer that fits the target market that so many Mac users are clammering for so clone makers are trying to fill the obvious gaping void in the Apple product line. All Apple has to do is make a headless mini tower with similar specs to the iMac but without as many drive bay and optical bays as the Mac Pro that is user accessible for RAM and video card upgrades, sell it at the price point that EFi-X is shooting for (say, $1500-$1800) then any clone maker would be a moron to try and make a knock off?if Apple made the machine I described or similar, no one who wants a Mac would give a clone a second look because all of Apple's bases would be covered by a product line with no holes. Consumers would just get a genuine Apple that suits their needs and their budget.

Wow, you are really clueless! Apple doesn't make a computer that fits the target market? Pull your head out of the sand! Apple has sold more Macs now more than ever in their history! People don't want a piece of shit cheap tower! They are selling iMacs and MacBooks like crazy. I think they found the market. Apple did a headless mini tower, it was called the Power Mac G4 and it was priced $1500 to $1800. It was very popular. Apple also made the Power Mac G4 Cube for $1799. You could upgrade the RAM, hard drive, video card, and optical drive...all the features that you claim you want in a headless Mac...Guess what? It was a failure! And it was at the price point that you claim is reasonable! If you want all the capability of swapping out parts, buy a Mac Pro, it is only $400 more than your $1800 price point.

No one is giving a look to the so-called clones because they are pieces of crap that no one would want in the first place. If you want a cheap computer, go back to using Windows on your cheap Dell or knock-off, because that is apparently what you want, a junk computer.