EFi-X USA to sell pre-made PCs as do-it-yourself Mac clones

Comments

• Reply 101 of 217
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Seems that in the end this is not happening:

efi-x-shuts-down-efi-x-usa-says-it-doesnt-support-mac-clones

They probably got a call from Apple's lawyers.
  • Reply 102 of 217
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CDonG4 View Post

Wrong. EFI-X also allows you to have a graphical boot screen to easily select between multiple OS installs, whether they be Linux, Windows or OS X.

Then the OS X option only exists for the purpose of committing copyright infringement.
  • Reply 103 of 217
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Right and these posts on these forums probably amount to even less than 5 percent of Apple's customers.

Obviously... but its called a sample. Statisticians never get data on the whole of a population, they take a sample size.
  • Reply 104 of 217
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Wow, you are really clueless! Apple doesn't make a computer that fits the target market? Pull your head out of the sand! Apple has sold more Macs now more than ever in their history! People don't want a piece of shit cheap tower! They are selling iMacs and MacBooks like crazy. I think they found the market. Apple did a headless mini tower, it was called the Power Mac G4 and it was priced $1500 to $1800. It was very popular. Apple also made the Power Mac G4 Cube for $1799. You could upgrade the RAM, hard drive, video card, and optical drive...all the features that you claim you want in a headless Mac...Guess what? It was a failure! And it was at the price point that you claim is reasonable! If you want all the capability of swapping out parts, buy a Mac Pro, it is only $400 more than your $1800 price point.

No one is giving a look to the so-called clones because they are pieces of crap that no one would want in the first place. If you want a cheap computer, go back to using Windows on your cheap Dell or knock-off, because that is apparently what you want, a junk computer.

This dude is on fire.
  • Reply 105 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Then the OS X option only exists for the purpose of committing copyright infringement.

You should look up copyright infringement, because it has nothing to do with what EFI-X does.
  • Reply 106 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Wow, you are really clueless! Apple doesn't make a computer that fits the target market? Pull your head out of the sand! Apple has sold more Macs now more than ever in their history! People don't want a piece of shit cheap tower! They are selling iMacs and MacBooks like crazy. I think they found the market. Apple did a headless mini tower, it was called the Power Mac G4 and it was priced $1500 to $1800. It was very popular. Apple also made the Power Mac G4 Cube for $1799. You could upgrade the RAM, hard drive, video card, and optical drive...all the features that you claim you want in a headless Mac...Guess what? It was a failure! And it was at the price point that you claim is reasonable! If you want all the capability of swapping out parts, buy a Mac Pro, it is only $400 more than your $1800 price point.

No one is giving a look to the so-called clones because they are pieces of crap that no one would want in the first place. If you want a cheap computer, go back to using Windows on your cheap Dell or knock-off, because that is apparently what you want, a junk computer.

Dude you really know how to make some Apples taste like Oranges. People don't only want a headless Mac, they want a headless Mac with expandability. The Cube -> Mac Mini.... Power Mac G4 -> Mac Pro. Nothing has changed except the Mac mini is wildly popular.

You know custom boxes as well as Dell's, HP's and the like share many core components that are in current Apple computers.
  • Reply 107 of 217
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CDonG4 View Post

You should look up copyright infringement, because it has nothing to do with what EFI-X does.

My comments have centered around what the dongle facilitates, not what it does.
  • Reply 108 of 217
    Quote:

My comments have centered around what the dongle facilitates, not what it does.

What it facilitates also has nothing to do with COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT, breaking the EULA maybe if anything.
  • Reply 109 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

All this fuss, it makes you wonder why Apple didn't just implement TPM on every Intel Mac and avoid this issue from the beginning.

hmm, I could have sworn that All Intel macs have had a TPM since day one.

"Executive order 66" anyone?

It could all happen with a single update.

I look forward to the grid coming down. Hopefully those with legitimate Macs will be the ones left standing.

What these human rats are doing is ruining things for everybody, tbh.

I'm sure that Apple already has a way to drop the hammer over the net. They are probably waiting for a triggering event, like winning the case against Psystar.

You know, Apple keeps track of each and every serial number going back for YEARS. They could simply send a message to all OSX running computers attached to the internet a simple instruction like "every-time you turn on, search for and activate the TPM, if it isn't present, and you're on Intel hardware, brick yourself"

It makes sense that Apple would be prepared to defend themselves.
  • Reply 110 of 217
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    I would like to see an EFI update that includes a silngle line of encrypted code that is ESSENTIAL for OSX to boot.

Then all these mod-chip pricks can update their code and get ass fucked in court by Apple. Hackers and mod-chip makers have done nothing whatsoever of good for the console industry apart from line their own pockets. Don't let them get a foothold in the Mac market.
  • Reply 111 of 217
    Quote:

No, you're wrong!

That's only because knives and forks have other uses besides committing crimes. The EFi-X dongle would seem to have only one purpose: to assist with copyright infringement.

There are hardware for sale that allows decrypting Cable, and Satellite signals and they're totally legal, pickup a Make magazine, or a Popular mechanics checkout the back pages.

My question to you would be, why doesn't Apple serve a cease and desist to Hackintosh and get it over with? Certainly if Psystar didn't have Hackintosh they would not be able to sell their system.
  • Reply 112 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

With just a few additions to the lineup, and upgrading their current models in a timely fashion, Apple could probably be putting all those wannabe clone makers out of business. And with a few additions, I'm not saying becoming Dell or HP:

DESKTOP

- update the Mac mini to current cpus/chipset ($599 and up)

- update the iMac to LED-BL displays and 65W quad-core cpus ($1299 and up)

- Mac Pro in two REAL versions: uniprocessor (Core i7/X58) starting at $1299/1499, dual-processor (Xeons/Tylersburg) starting at $2999 (or so)

NOTEBOOKS

- netbook running on ARM or Atom (whatever suits Apple the best) $599/799

- smaller MacBook to replace the $999 white MacBook at $899/1099, 11-12" display

- continue to give the 13" MacBook good features (and a 1440*900 display?) $1299 and up

- keep updating the MBA to faster cpus as they are released by intel (2.00GHz in Q2/Q3 2009), lower the price whenever possible

- move the 15" MBP to 1680*1050 display, speebump, $1999 and up

- release the unibody 17" MBP with a 1920*1200 display, speedbump

That's just one new desktop platform and two new notebook form factors.

Desktops will go from $599 (dual-core/2 threads @ 2.00GHz) to about $4999 (dual-quad core/16 threads @ 3.20GHz). With a steady increase in performance: DC/2 threads, QC/4threads, QC/8 threads, 2xQC/16 threads).

Notebooks will go from (probably) $599/7" display to $2799/17" display (up to about 3.0GHz in 2009). With a steady increase in performance and screen size: 7"/9" - 11" - 13" - 15" - 17".

Most of these suggestions are already planned (or should be for 2009), the few novelties shouldn't be too much of a threat to other products and, anyway, it is better to cannibalise ones own products than to get sales stolen by other manufacturers, suppliers, DIYers, used/refurbished, etc... A few additions will not mutate Apple's DNA nor push them in making junk. Expect for the netbooks (that could be part of the iPod lines rather than the Mac lines) all those additions are within Apple's current price scheme/margins.

What?!

You-are-smoking-CRACK!

For starters, that list has more cannibalism than nest of starving ants.

Look, if they sell a tower for $1200, then what is the incentive to upgrade to the Mac Pro for more than twice as much or buy the iMac for the same price???

These products exist as part of a successful business strategy.

Apple will spend money on making those machines, which are great BTW just to EAT PLASTIC because they have this tower, that they didn't want to make, playing pac-Man with their sales. FAIL

LED in the iMac is fine, that may happen in Jan. But will they meet their pricepoint??

You can FORGET about the netbook. It would cannibalize their product lineup, just like the Tower. Seriously, a $599 Mac notebook? Joe Pinchpenny might love that but Apple's profits would be devastated. And for what? A laptop that isn't nearly as good as the others.

I don't see much of a problem with a smaller Macbook as long as the hardware is still pretty lowball at that price.

1440x900 in a 13" IPS panel LED Backlit display? Maybe. Maybe not. Same goes for the 1680x1050 and so on. you do realize that the higher the resolution, the smaller things will look on your screen right? Also, it would cost more money to make? Does that make good business sense?

Lower the price of the MBA? Nope, look at the competition's pricing for sub-notebooks of that class.
  • Reply 113 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Now these Hillbillies at Psystar and the young dudes without a clue at EFIFix are f*cking it all up. Literally the only thing they will end up doing is causing everyone a lot more problems.

If I lived in the same town as either of these outfits, I know who'd have paint all over their windows and potatoes stuck in their exhaust pipes in the morning, and as I say that ... I realise that there are a lot of folks out there that feel even stronger about this. I bet someone might even get physically hurt over this before it's all over. I wouldn't put it past someone to burn them down in the night people feel that strongly about it.

You're threatening to vandalize EFI-X and Psystar's property, yet you're calling them hillbillies? Pot, I think think it's about time you were introduced to the kettle. If someone is enough of a Mac fanbot to get physically violent over this, they shouldn't be walking the street. They should be in an institute getting the psychological help they require. And the fact that you seem to be okay with the violence makes me hope you live no where near me.

Maybe we could look at the issue rationally. How many people looking to buy these machines were actually going to purchase a Mac? I'm guessing the percentage is probably pretty small. So, in reality this actually helps Apple in two ways: 1) Apple gets $129 from the sale of a copy of OS X 2) It means one less purchase of Windows.
  • Reply 114 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

You're threatening to vandalize EFI-X and Psystar's property, yet you're calling them hillbillies? Pot, I think think it's about time you were introduced to the kettle. If someone is enough of a Mac fanbot to get physically violent over this, they shouldn't be walking the street. They should be in an institute getting the psychological help they require. And the fact that you seem to be okay with the violence makes me hope you live no where near me.

Maybe we could look at the issue rationally. How many people looking to buy these machines were actually going to purchase a Mac? I'm guessing the percentage is probably pretty small. So, in reality this actually helps Apple in two ways: 1) Apple gets $129 from the sale of a copy of OS X 2) It means one less purchase of Windows.

...and all of a sudden it wasn't fun anymore.
  • Reply 115 of 217
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Bottom line is that it's the OS that makes macs superior to pcs for everything else besides gaming. If Apple lets other computers run the mac software they are in deep trouble. They HAVE to protect it.

The pc market is proof that people are willing to cut corners in performance if they can choose what to cut in order to save money. I can see budget computers being purchased with mac OS selling like candy simply because they are a couple of hundred dollars cheaper.
  • Reply 116 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Two DVD writers seems like a bit much for a default configuration.

Region setting is held in the individual drive hardware. Region code can't be changed more than five times.

With two drives you can have for example one set to 1 (US and Canada) and the other 2 (Western Europe, Japan).

Film aficionados will like, as with the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 117 of 217
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Liquidmark View Post

Look, if they sell a tower for $1200, then what is the incentive to upgrade to the Mac Pro for more than twice as much or buy the iMac for the same price???

These products exist as part of a successful business strategy.

Pure bullshit, spread by fanbois over the years. If both the iMac and the dual MP are truly Apple's flagships and the best in the business, they (you) shouldn't be afraid of a dull tower with a single quad-core cpu. If it is the case, that means that both products have been poorly designed/priced, they can't withstand a little competition.

Quote:

LED in the iMac is fine, that may happen in Jan. But will they meet their pricepoint??

Would you please take the time to read every detail: LED-BL on the iMac + the less expensive desktop 65W cpus. While it doesn't change much on the low end, the savings on the high-end are huge, thus making the cost of LED-BL irrelevant.

Quote:

You can FORGET about the netbook. It would cannibalize their product lineup, just like the Tower. Seriously, a $599 Mac notebook? Joe Pinchpenny might love that but Apple's profits would be devastated. And for what? A laptop that isn't nearly as good as the others.

Again, you should read every detail instead of just the first word of each sentence. A "netbook" based on the ARM chips and running the iPhone/iPod touch OS is no threat to the other Mac OS X notebooks. If it is, then Mac OS X has a problem.

Quote:

Lower the price of the MBA? Nope, look at the competition's pricing for sub-notebooks of that class.

I don't care about the competition. When Apple charges $200 for the 1.86GHz cpu that cost just $32 more than the 1.60GHz one in bulk, I think there is room for price cuts. Also SSD drives are getting cheaper every week (if not day). +$700 for a 128GB SDD with middle of the road performance is pushing it hard down the consumer throat. And I'm a fan of the MBA.

Pipe is finished. You can go back to your full-size barbie doll with Apple's socks.
  • Reply 118 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

How many of you wanna bet they jump from Intel in the next year or so and make their own chips? Seems like the sure way to close the open door in Apple's Eco System. They have the cash to do it and now with Semi they have some pretty slick engineers on board. Once they make their own chips, it's all over for these pirates.

Apple did not acquire PA Semi to create PPC CPUs for Macs, thay acquired PA Semi to design chips for mobile devices. Besides which, Apple loves Intel chips, Intel loves Apple and Boot Camp is such a big selling point it's unbelievable. Even Paul Thurrott usies a Mac, thanks to Boot Camp. Intel's Core2 line (And it's younger sibling Core i7) are the Mac CPU roadmap as it stands for the foreseeable future.

Quote:

Amen, don't call it:

Mac Mini Pro

Mac Pro Mini

Call it 'Mac'

mac mini < iMac < Mac < Mac Pro

Makes sense to me.

-Matt

It might make sense to you, but if you call it Mac (Which you would not since it's headless and Mac(intosh) has a builtin display, it would fit like this:

Mac mini, Mac, iMac, Mac Pro

And I'll show you why that's the case:

Entry, Consumer, Style, Professional

Mac mini, (GAP), iMac, Mac Pro

MacBook White, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro

Don't be surprised if it does appear, and be less surprised if it's a Cube.

I'm not joking, it's probably a Cube.
  • Reply 119 of 217
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Yeah, this is what really pisses me off about the whole thing.

It's so nice to live in the Apple world and not have to worry about junk like that, well except for FileMaker. (shakes fist in the air and curses FileMaker)

Or Aperture. Or iWork. Or Final Cut Pro. Or Logic.

zzzzzzzzz
  • Reply 120 of 217
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Ha-ha-ha-ha... NO!

I am not a lawyer...

As if "Ha-ha-ha-ha... NO!" wasn't an indication.