Apple tweaks App Store layout amid developer unrest

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by afishertx View Post

Never thought of it that way. Apple should capitalize on that. "Every iPhone and iPod Tough comes with a free Tile Game App".

I too have looked at my iPhone thinking, "Boy, I need to cleen up and organize my screens", then a second later thought, "I can live with it for now. Don't have the time or patience for the tile game."

Right!! Once a screen fills, if I want another screen of "like" Apps to come next, I have to slide screen after screen worth over. This should all be manipulatable in a much more robust way. If not in iTunes, which seems easiest to me but strikes me as not in Jobs' master plan, at least give me more on the device.

My Touch is now a mess. So what happens? I don't use many of the Apps. And since I don't use those, why would I pay for more of them just to not use? C'mon, Apple. Think Different.....
  • Reply 22 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lepton View Post

The main thing I don't understand about the App Store is the rating system. Take a look at my application "AirMote" which is a remote control for Front Row, Keynote and such. It has three reviews, a 4 star, a 5 star, and a 4 star. But the "Average Rating" Apple shows is 2.5 stars. What's up with that?

I'm assuming that you have more sales than reviews.

As Apple now allows people to review an app when they remove it from their phone, perhaps that's affecting your ratings, because possibly, for some reason, those reviews don't show up.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    How can an app in the Free Sports Section with 1.5 Stars be rated #14 Plum Caddy Golf Mapping & Scoring Application?

I paid $9.95 for this TERRIBLE application because of it's so called GPS capability. It has a couple of Golf courses and hasn't been upgraded in ages.

I didn't trust the rating before and I I trust it even less now.

Apple should allow trial software.

This one application alone has kept me from purchasing ANY other software.

Apples no return policy is a joke as well especially if you can't demo the software first and a few screen shots isn't enough to know if the App works as advertised.

Obviously if this app is free now and once charged $9.95 has 1.5 stars and is still rated 14 within the sports section there has got to be problems or favoritism going on.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

How can an app in the Free Sports Section with 1.5 Stars be rated #14 Plum Caddy Golf Mapping & Scoring Application?

I paid $9.95 for this TERRIBLE application because of it's so called GPS capability. It has a couple of Golf courses and hasn't been upgraded in ages.

I didn't trust the rating before and I I trust it even less now.

Apple should allow trial software.

This one application alone has kept me from purchasing ANY other software.

Apples no return policy is a joke as well especially if you can't demo the software first and a few screen shots isn't enough to know if the App works as advertised.

Obviously if this app is free now and once charged $9.95 has 1.5 stars and is still rated 14 within the sports section there has got to be problems or favoritism going on.

You're too much of a conspiracy theorist.

You do what you would do with any software, which is to look for legitimate reviews first. Consumer reviews, unless there are dozens of them, are never reliable. Don't forget that in the beginning, Apple was relying on people's honesty in the reviews. You didn't have to buy a program to review it. Now you do, so that's some help.

Apple doesn't allow for trial software because of the billing methods, which work well.

But many have offered free versions of their programs along with the paid ones.

Unless I don't care about losing the few bucks these programs cost, I wait until enough people have reviewed it, so that it matters, or, I look for more professional reviews on the sites that offer reviews of iPhone software.

As for how well it's now "selling" despite it's now poor reviews, well, it costs nothing to download free software.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post

They really need to break games down into subcategories in my opinion. That category is getting too large.

My god, not just games, but *each and every* category needs to be broken down into subcategories on the iPhone app store. At the moment, they are WAY to broad and baring searching by keyword (which is not always possible), It can take forever to find certain apps!
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're too much of a conspiracy theorist.

You do what you would do with any software, which is to look for legitimate reviews first. Consumer reviews, unless there are dozens of them, are never reliable. Don't forget that in the beginning, Apple was relying on people's honesty in the reviews. You didn't have to buy a program to review it. Now you do, so that's some help.

Apple doesn't allow for trial software because of the billing methods, which work well.

But many have offered free versions of their programs along with the paid ones.

Unless I don't care about losing the few bucks these programs cost, I wait until enough people have reviewed it, so that it matters, or, I look for more professional reviews on the sites that offer reviews of iPhone software.

As for how well it's now "selling" despite it's now poor reviews, well, it costs nothing to download free software.

So to make your long story short. Don't trust Apple's App Store & do your homework to know if the software is worth buying.

I trust BestBuy, I shop there and if I'm not happy with my purchase I return it.

Is that too much to ask. Your theory doesn't explain why there is no return policy & it doesn't take a conspiracy to know MANY are unhappy with the app store and Apple changing policy on a weekly basis.

Say it's new and Apple is just learning. They should have done their homework from Amazon where if you are unhappy with a purchase you can return it.

The store is full of useless software and games. Not being a gamer I'm extremely sad that Apple has made a great phone into a toy.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:

So to make your long story short. Don't trust Apple's App Store & do your homework to know if the software is worth buying.

I trust BestBuy, I shop there and if I'm not happy with my purchase I return it.

Is that too much to ask. Your theory doesn't explain why there is no return policy & it doesn't take a conspiracy to know MANY are unhappy with the app store and Apple changing policy on a weekly basis.

Say it's new and Apple is just learning. They should have done their homework from Amazon where if you are unhappy with a purchase you can return it.

The store is full of useless software and games. Not being a gamer I'm extremely sad that Apple has made a great phone into a toy.

Selling boxed merchandise is very different from selling software downloads.

Also, when the average price of the software is around $3, most people will be willing to take the plunge. Only a fool complains when they buy something that isn't properly reviewed, or knows people who bought it and are happy, before spending money on it, and only afterwards, complains.

One reason why Apple can do this at all, is that the method for selling and billing is so simple. Once they get into a model where they have to refund money and use the kill switch to wipe the program from your phone, things become much more complex, and expensive. It's also rare to be able to get your money back on software if you aren't happy.

I've bought a few programs from the app store that weren't very good when I bought them. but they were so cheap, that it was worth the risk. most of them have gotten much better over time though, which has made their purchase much more worthwhile. Sometimes, it just takes time. There will always be losers though. You have to expect that though.

If you try a new flavor of ice cream at you local store, and you don't like it, you don't expect to get your money back, unless it's spoiled.

It's tough to claim that most software is spoiled though, because I'm interested to see that even for software that most people don't seem to like, there are enough others who do like it.

But, going back to my original point, the onus is on the purchaser, as usual, to find out if the product is good. There's no need to rush to buy something when it first comes out. If you wait a while, you'll get a better idea as to how good something is.

Otherwise, consider the $10 to be a possible loss.

When I had my Palm phones, I bought a fair number of programs, and the same problem occurred. Even though some of the software had a trial period, often, after a week of use, after I had ended up buying the program, I realized that it wasn't as useful, or as good, as it looked in the beginning, when I was enthusiastic about it. I couldn't get my money back either, and those programs averaged $20 apiece, not $5.

I don't know just what the term "many" means here.

Obviously, with over 300 million downloads taking place on just maybe 12 to 15 million phones, "most" people are VERY happy indeed. And if the 50% being paid apps is continuing, then that's a good 150 million apps being bought since the 3G came out, an amazing record!

I firmly believe that as usual, those who are not happy tend to exaggerate the numbers of those who are unhappy with them.

We do know that most of the rearranging of the store is being done at the developers insistence, so as to make paid apps easier to see, and buy. But that has nothing to do with consumers, though Apple seems to be trying out how to improve that side as well.

As a consumer of four screens of apps so far, I would like to see more subcategories, and apps placed more appropriately. Sometimes, an app isn't where one would expect it to be, which now, with all the apps there, makes things difficult to find.

But, I have to say that the number of apps so far exceeds my expectation at this time, that I'm sure Apple is overwhelmed.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:

Selling boxed merchandise is very different from selling software downloads.

Also, when the average price of the software is around $3, most people will be willing to take the plunge. Only a fool complains when they buy something that isn't properly reviewed, or knows people who bought it and are happy, before spending money on it, and only afterwards, complains.

One reason why Apple can do this at all, is that the method for selling and billing is so simple. Once they get into a model where they have to refund money and use the kill switch to wipe the program from your phone, things become much more complex, and expensive. It's also rare to be able to get your money back on software if you aren't happy.

I've bought a few programs from the app store that weren't very good when I bought them. but they were so cheap, that it was worth the risk. most of them have gotten much better over time though, which has made their purchase much more worthwhile. Sometimes, it just takes time. There will always be losers though. You have to expect that though.

If you try a new flavor of ice cream at you local store, and you don't like it, you don't expect to get your money back, unless it's spoiled.

It's tough to claim that most software is spoiled though, because I'm interested to see that even for software that most people don't seem to like, there are enough others who do like it.

But, going back to my original point, the onus is on the purchaser, as usual, to find out if the product is good. There's no need to rush to buy something when it first comes out. If you wait a while, you'll get a better idea as to how good something is.

Otherwise, consider the $10 to be a possible loss.

When I had my Palm phones, I bought a fair number of programs, and the same problem occurred. Even though some of the software had a trial period, often, after a week of use, after I had ended up buying the program, I realized that it wasn't as useful, or as good, as it looked in the beginning, when I was enthusiastic about it. I couldn't get my money back either, and those programs averaged $20 apiece, not $5.

I don't know just what the term "many" means here.

Obviously, with over 300 million downloads taking place on just maybe 12 to 15 million phones, "most" people are VERY happy indeed. And if the 50% being paid apps is continuing, then that's a good 150 million apps being bought since the 3G came out, an amazing record!

I firmly believe that as usual, those who are not happy tend to exaggerate the numbers of those who are unhappy with them.

We do know that most of the rearranging of the store is being done at the developers insistence, so as to make paid apps easier to see, and buy. But that has nothing to do with consumers, though Apple seems to be trying out how to improve that side as well.

As a consumer of four screens of apps so far, I would like to see more subcategories, and apps placed more appropriately. Sometimes, an app isn't where one would expect it to be, which now, with all the apps there, makes things difficult to find.

But, I have to say that the number of apps so far exceeds my expectation at this time, that I'm sure Apple is overwhelmed.

You do a lot to support the App Store (as most Apple fans blindly do) but you have yet to answer my orignal question.

HOW CAN AN APP IN THE SPORTS SECTION WITH 1.5 STARS THAT STARTED AT $9.95 AND IS NOW FREE BE RATED #14.

I Just checked the app store and in the free section there are 100 Free Sports applications.

Spot checking in about 5 minutes I found 20 apps that were rated higher than 1.5 stars that are rated LOWER than #14.

Where is the conspiracy when this is clearly wrong and misleading? If the Sold Apps are given the same inconsistency in their rating placement then Apple is misleading the end consumer.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:

You do a lot to support the App Store (as most Apple fans blindly do) but you have yet to answer my orignal question.

HOW CAN AN APP IN THE SPORTS SECTION WITH 1.5 STARS THAT STARTED AT $9.95 AND IS NOW FREE BE RATED #14.

I Just checked the app store and in the free section there are 100 Free Sports applications.

Spot checking in about 5 minutes I found 20 apps that were rated higher than 1.5 stars that are rated LOWER than #14.

Where is the conspiracy when this is clearly wrong and misleading? If the Sold Apps are given the same inconsistency in their rating placement then Apple is misleading the end consumer.

You think like a child when you call people fanboys when you are so obviously ignorant of that person. When you grow up, come back.

I've already answered your questions.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

You think like a child when you call people fanboys when you are so obviously ignorant of that person. When you grow up, come back.

I've already answered your questions.

Read more carefully MODERATOR!

I did not call you a fanboy. My quote was "Apple fans" If you are going to insult me in your own room then get the quotes straight.

My observation would be you've been called a "FanBoy" too many times are a little sensitive. But that's just an observation of your lack of respect to my post.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:

Read more carefully MODERATOR!

I did not call you a fanboy. My quote was "Apple fans" If you are going to insult me in your own room then get the quotes straight.

My observation would be you've been called a "FanBoy" too many times are a little sensitive. But that's just an observation of your lack of respect to my post.

"You do a lot to support the App Store (as most Apple fans blindly do) but you have yet to answer my orignal question."

If that isn't a roundabout way of calling someone a fanboy, then I don't know what is.

I tried very hard to answer your posts. I didn't give a quick one line flip of an answer, as you know.

But between that, and not seeing that I DID answer your questions, only goes to show that you didn't bother reading my answers carefully.

So, don't say I didn't respect your post, because I spent some time in trying to give a good, detailed answer. The fact that you don't realize that is not my fault.

You don't have to agree with what I said, but you should at least acknowledge that I did, indeed, give a serious reply. Calling someone a fanboy because they don't agree with your angry assumptions is not helpful in any way.

Who's not respecting who's post?
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They need three separate categories:

](1) Top free

(2) Top $1 apps

(3) Top apps for above $1

In the main app store page and within each category. This shouldn't be hard to do, but it makes too much sense - so I don't see Apple ever doing it!

Within the top paid page, they need new two categories:

(1) Top $1 apps

and

(2) Top apps for above $1

I think even better -- put these Apps under a category called "Budget" or "Bargain Bin" so that they are properly highlighted as to what they are.

No doubt that will cause some flamage but we need to get the prices up in the App Store or developers are only going to make quick and dirty applications. I'd rather see 500 good apps then 10,000 quick & dirty applications.

-mark=
  • Reply 33 of 34
    The iPhone desktop needs folders IMO. The "tile game" would be irrelevant then.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lepton View Post

The main thing I don't understand about the App Store is the rating system. Take a look at my application "AirMote" which is a remote control for Front Row, Keynote and such. It has three reviews, a 4 star, a 5 star, and a 4 star. But the "Average Rating" Apple shows is 2.5 stars. What's up with that?

Reviews aren't the same as ratings. A user can rate an app without having to review it. I think the OS asks you if you want to rate an app when you delete it.

Quote:

Have you actually returned software? The return policies that I see basically say no returns on software. They generally only offer exchanges for same title if the media is bad.