Indesign hidden junk

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I use Indesign for a small web newspaper and export into PDF. For each edition I use the last edition, delete the old stuff and insert the new info. However, a 1.5 meg Indesign file becomes a 3.5 meg PDF. The Indesign file seems to retain hidden files or whatever. Is there a way of finding and deleting this build up?

Thank you, Geoff in rural Australia.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    This is normal I think. Our PDFs for print come out at hundreds of MB sometimes but the Indesign files are much smaller. You can downsample your images to a lower DPI to save size but a 3.5MB PDF is pretty small.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This is normal I think. Our PDFs for print come out at hundreds of MB sometimes but the Indesign files are much smaller. You can downsample your images to a lower DPI to save size but a 3.5MB PDF is pretty small.

Thanks Marvin. Unfortunately out here in bush many only have dailup. A 3.5 meg doc. is virtually impossible.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sauceman View Post

Thanks Marvin. Unfortunately out here in bush many only have dailup. A 3.5 meg doc. is virtually impossible.

Ah, I see. I don't suppose you will have a GPRS or 3G mobile phone either as you can sometimes tether those to your computer and get faster than dial-up speeds. If you have unlimited data, it should be cheaper than dial-up.

The only solution really if you are stuck to dial-up is to put the image DPI down. 72 DPI is ok for web publishing as that's screen quality.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Ah, I see. I don't suppose you will have a GPRS or 3G mobile phone either as you can sometimes tether those to your computer and get faster than dial-up speeds. If you have unlimited data, it should be cheaper than dial-up.

The only solution really if you are stuck to dial-up is to put the image DPI down. 72 DPI is ok for web publishing as that's screen quality.

Thanks Marvin, I think you've missed my question. The Indesign file keeps growing even when I delete. There must be hidden data which remains embedded somewhere in the file. I want to know if there is a way to get inside the file and clear the build up. Please read my original question.

Geoff.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Some apps keep deleted information within the file. Could Indesign be doing this? Do you rename your newsletter with each new edition? If not, try it and see if that helps.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sauceman View Post

Thanks Marvin, I think you've missed my question. The Indesign file keeps growing even when I delete. There must be hidden data which remains embedded somewhere in the file. I want to know if there is a way to get inside the file and clear the build up.

If it retains undo information, that could cause the build-up but it shouldn't affect PDF export as the PDF shouldn't contain any of that info.

To reset the Indesign file, you can make a new document and copy/paste the content over. Ideally, you'd probably setup a core template in Indesign and use that to start the newsletter instead of building on an old one.