Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.6 Update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 134
    Hey!

The 10.5.6 update fixes calendar color alignment between iCal and iPhone calendars. After activating sync-via-mobileme, the colors assigned to my home, work, fun, and sport-event calendars all are aligned. For example, before, my work calendar was green in iCal and red on the iPhone.

Very nice.

Jim
  • Reply 42 of 134
    iTunes dashboard widget and menubar app focus bugs still aren't fixed. Just so you know.
  • Reply 43 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Read the prior posts. This update takes a long time to run.

This is rediculous! 30 minutes in on an 08 MBP and I'm still about 2% in and stuck on "configuring installation." This can't be right...
  • Reply 44 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midfat View Post

This is rediculous! 30 minutes in on an 08 MBP and I'm still about 2% in and stuck on "configuring installation." This can't be right...

Ah! So it's not just PowerPC?

My PowerBook's update failed. I left it for a couple of hours and had to just hit reset. The 10.5.6 installed on it now seemed fine at first but then the trackpad stopped clicking, and plugging in a mouse didn't fix it.

Downloading combo update to try again?

Having a look at Console, I see this repeated many, many times while it was stuck:

Dec 15 18:58:11 Johns-PowerBook com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.ReportCrash.SafetyNet[17137]): Exited abnormally: Trace/BPT trap

Dec 15 18:58:11 Johns-PowerBook com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.ReportCrash.SafetyNet): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

Dec 15 18:58:21 Johns-PowerBook com.apple.ReportCrash.SafetyNet[17488]: dyld: bad local scattered relocation length

Dec 15 18:58:21 Johns-PowerBook com.apple.launchd[1]: catch_mach_exception_raise_state_identity(): thread: 0x8e8f task: 0x7a2f type: 0xa code: 0x2e044 codeCnt: 0x2 flavor: 0x2e054 old_state: 0x2e05c old_stateCnt: 0x4c new_state: 0x2d02c new_stateCnt: 0x2d028
  • Reply 45 of 134
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You don't get replies from bug reports. Somewhere Apple even tells you that, though I don't remember where I saw it. I'd guess they have a software filter that looks for various keywords and decides which ones even get read by humans.

No, no software filter. When people say they've "filed a bug report", they usually mean that they've gone to Apple's website and filled in a feedback form. They don't mean that they've registered as a developer and actually filed a bug report on Apple's bug tracker. Those bug reports are all read by humans.
  • Reply 46 of 134
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    The trackpad now has its own prefpane on my white MacBook. I'd love to have the "moderen" lightbulb from the unibodies too though
  • Reply 47 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by random bob, a.r.c. View Post

I'm surpised this tidbit isn't getting more attention. This was A MAJOR ITCH for a lot of people when the MobileMe "Push" was unveiled. 10.5.6, and it's what everyone wants.

yay.

Has anyone tried this yet? I turned off calendar and contact syncing long ago as it wiped out all of both from my mac. Does it now work with subscriber calendars?
  • Reply 48 of 134
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orup70 View Post

Wow, I just downloaded 10.5.6 and tested the "new" MobileMe ? it's really syncs in less than 1 minute after any change/edits and the whole syncing is _way_ faster than before. This is a major update IMHO.

Great work Apple!

I hope that will be true for me as well. Lately, my MobileMe menu bar sync icon is spinning far more often than it's not. Still, I'll wait a couple more days while the rest of you test out the update.
  • Reply 49 of 134
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

No, no software filter. When people say they've "filed a bug report", they usually mean that they've gone to Apple's website and filled in a feedback form. They don't mean that they've registered as a developer and actually filed a bug report on Apple's bug tracker. Those bug reports are all read by humans.

Once it is logged as a bug in Radar, Apple will also notify you once they've processed it. I've had feedback on all the bugs I've logged so far. Usually they turn out to be duplicates of already logged bugs.
  • Reply 50 of 134
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    No problems here using combo update on 2008 Mac Pro.

I played an HD trailer before and after, to see if the GPU decoding from the new laptops had made it to the 8800GT in my Mac Pro, but I guess not, because no reduction in CPU load.
  • Reply 51 of 134
    Any time frame on when MobileMe will synch iCal's Birthday and the various 3rd party, apple approved iCal add-on calendars (e.g. U.S. Holidays).
  • Reply 52 of 134
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

(1) the dock appears after a few minutes while watching movies full screen in QuickTime

2) When clicking a link in Mail while Safari is in another Space, the websites is opened in a window behind all other windows!

What's the status on the bug report you presumably filed with Apple?

That both issues are still under investigation (after 5 months)
  • Reply 53 of 134
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bslaght View Post

I thought the dock in movies was just me...but now I know I am not alone. I did file a bug report but never get any replies..about the same as filing a bug with Microsoft.

I am happy to hear other people have this too. It seems such an obvious bug: the dock appearing while watching a movie. It's the most annoying thing ever. I think it has something to do with the screen saver or the energy settings, but I have not been able to fix it yet. I have been contacted by Apple on several occasions, but the current status is still "under investigation" :-(
  • Reply 54 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

I've had feedback on all the bugs I've logged so far. Usually they turn out to be duplicates of already logged bugs.

Yup, me too! I think there's only one solitary bug that I've ever submitted that wasn't a duplicate and was followed through until fixed.
  • Reply 55 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heyjp View Post

Hey!

The 10.5.6 update fixes calendar color alignment between iCal and iPhone calendars. After activating sync-via-mobileme, the colors assigned to my home, work, fun, and sport-event calendars all are aligned. For example, before, my work calendar was green in iCal and red on the iPhone.

Very nice.

Jim

It didn't work on a hard sync--same strange and nearly identical colors. Has anyone tried MobileMe with subscribed calendars (my wife's and mine)? Previously my calendars were completely wiped out as were my contacts and I haven't turned MobileMe on since then (except for mail).
  • Reply 56 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I was actually thinking of "average joe"... either from the Report-A-Bug-to-Apple pull down, or from the option to report after an app crash, or at apple.com. They must get hundreds of those a day ... and I find it hard to believe THEY are all read. Now, reports from registered developers should certainly be taken more "seriously".
  • Reply 57 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Some people disagree with me on this, but I've been saying for a long time that software in the computer gets corupted over time without our knowing it.

No. Software does not corrupt itself; hard drives do not flip bits on their own. People's odd "maintenance" and "tweaking" routines break software.

... And speaking of people's odd maintenance routines, permissions will not affect the installation of an update. Fixing UNIX permissions for everything from graphics corruption, to surround-sound issues, to system instability is voodoo, and a waste of time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Many update problems can be tracked to software that uses memory locations that are off limits

With OSes that use protected/virtual memory, software using memory locations that are off-limits is an impossibility, unless you're talking about a kernel-mode driver or something. Software hasn't had the ability to directly address physical frames in system memory since Mac OS X 10.0 and NT 3.5 (to cover the Mac and PC bases).
  • Reply 58 of 134
    Quote:

I was actually thinking of "average joe"... either from the Report-A-Bug-to-Apple pull down

What report-a-bug-to-Apple pull down? You mean in safari?

Quote:

or from the option to report after an app crash, or at apple.com.

Neither of those are bug reports, strictly speaking.

This may seem overly pernickety, but given that there is a way for anyone to freely register as a developer and file an actual bug report, it can be misleading/confusing when someone claims to have "filed a bug report" when they haven't.

Quote:

They must get hundreds of those a day ... and I find it hard to believe THEY are all read.

Oh yeah. I agree it's unlikely they are read, especially the crash reports.
  • Reply 59 of 134
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    my update is 190 MB downloaded updated soomthly. once installed restarted 2 times after that everything normal..
  • Reply 60 of 134
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

I have it installed.

I can't tell any difference.

My computer hasn't blown up.

I might go for a run.

Haha!