Power Support USA unibody Macbook Pro Anti-Glare

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I recieved the new Power Support Anti-Glare film today for my new macbook pro. The fit is perfect. These pictures are not very good but you can get the idea of the glare reduction. I accidentally creased the film near the camera so needless to say i have one air bubble that i'm trying to get out. I used a little alcohol with cotton balls and then used the microfiber cloth that came with the computer to get as many of the smudges out as I could.

The image quality looks slightly grainer than my white matte imac. Overall I'm very impressed, if you didn't know that the new macbooks were only glossy you would swear that this was a matte display!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_OWIWOLHrlB0/SU...0/PICT0085.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_OWIWOLHrlB0/SU...0/PICT0088.JPG

Hope the pictures help anyone thinking of getting the film! I can take more if anyone needs.

Doug

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    That looks like a pretty good improvement. The glossy fans will of course say that both situations are at best equally bad but the sharpness of the glossy means that blowing trees outside cause very distracting movements but that blurred matte area should be almost static and therefore much easier to ignore.

Apple should offer these coatings (or better if possible) as an option and they could ensure correct application. They could offer it at a slight premium given that it needs extra work. I'd pay £25 more just to get the matte coating.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Oh wow!

That's a HUGE improvement... and a must have as far as I'm concerned!

I hope the offer a solution for the 24" LED Cinema Display as well.

Thanks for posting!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Marvin, your right the glossy vs matte debate really boils down to personal preference. The glossy looks outstanding in the right lighting conditions (i.e. no lighting!). The vast majority of the time I use the computer in lit rooms so the anti-glare film is far more practical and usable for me.

Messiah, I was thinking the same thing... I'm sure they will be coming out with one for the 24'' LED. As nice as the Apple display looks I think I'll wait a few months before getting an external display. The selection of displayport monitors seems rather limited right now. I'd rather wait for some other manufactures to get into the market with possibly cheaper matte alternatives.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Keep us updated man... (if it starts to peel or something) I would be interested. I would buy it if I get sick of the glossy.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Diffusing the image coming through that screen would be bad for graphics professionals, though. A clear screen doesn't alter the image.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I read somewhere that these anti-glare filters lead to some poor white color refraction. Is this true with the PowerSupport stuff?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    sounds good

A couple of questions:-

Does it also cover the black screen surround

How long did it takle to apply?

Thanks
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Kevzaz, I'll be sure to post any negative or positive experience I have with it. I do not see this slipping off the display. I had to reset a portion of the film since I had some air bubbles and it was not easy to peel the film from the corner of the screen to get ahold of it.

hodgkin, When there is a white image on the screen is really the most noticeable time when you can tell there is a film on. It looks slightly grainer than the same white background from a matte white imac (what I was comparing it to). Some people might not like it, graphics professionals would probably not like it. In my personal opinion however, I would much rather deal with this slightly degraded image quality over the sharp glare. After now being able to use the computer in a variety of settings that I used to have significant glare, I couldn't be happier! I'll try to take a picture of the macbook pro and the imac next to each other with the same white background image. I'm not sure if it will be very distinguishable on camera though... If anyone has used their anti-glare film for their iphone or ipod touch, the image difference is quite comparable.

Funster, Yes, the film extends to the very edge of the display, covering the black border. It honestly could not have been cut more perfectly. You can not even tell that a film is there its so close to the outer frame. There hole for the isight camera is the only place you can see the edge of the film. Applying it took about 45 seconds. Cleaning the surface is critical to prevent air bubbles. I started at the top of the display and aligned the camera hole first. As the film clung to the display I pealed the plastic away from the film and continued to bend the film slightly to evenly add pressure as I was moving my way down the display and ultimately ending in one of the bottom corners. I did end up with two small air bubbles at the top of the display. I was having a hard time peeling the film back to reset the top portion without scratching to the corner of the film. I'll probably try again later since I can be picky about stuff like that!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Diffusing the image coming through that screen would be bad for graphics professionals, though. A clear screen doesn't alter the image.

As a 'graphics professional', I think I'll reserve judgement on that until I see one in the flesh, rather than making sweeping statements about a product I haven't actually tested.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Oh wow!

That's a HUGE improvement... and a must have as far as I'm concerned!

I hope the offer a solution for the 24" LED Cinema Display as well.

Thanks for posting!

According to a Cnet review the 24" LED has a thin layer of anti glare layer which defuses reflection.