Apple says 2009 Macworld Expo will be its last

Comments

• Reply 20 of 152
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

This is not a good economic time to be making such stock-weakening announcements. Ouch. Apple is already tanking in after-hours trading. I can already imagine all of the analysts crying wolf tomorrow. It might very well be a bad day for AAPL investors. Including me (sniff).

Actually, I think it is a good thing in the big picture (except for IDG?). The announcement moves the focus off of Steve Jobs as being the only person who can make (keep) the company successful. In the long run that will strengthen the company, the stock price. I smell buying opportunity, if I only had cash for such foolishnesss.

It's likely tanking more because of the late, persistent anxiety about this being related to Jobs's health more than anything else.

The question is whether Apple would be doing this if the economy was good, and Adobe and others hadn't stepped out?
  • Reply 22 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Apple is selling more computers than it ever has.

Apple continues to excel with the iPod / iTunes product line.

There is no "demand" to lower the prices. They only do when they want to increase their presence to a larger market. Apple wouldn't be Apple if the price wasn't different, as well. The extra cash they make allows them to do what they do.

Honestly, if you were in their shoes, how would you look at it? If you had a business with products in high demand, would you say "okay, we're lowering our prices to be nice". That's not a good reason.

Lower prices will increase the users switching to Mac. Look at how the Netbook has caused the PC market to grow...

Though Apple could be content to be premium but then those Vista attack ads make less and less sense...
  • Reply 23 of 152
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    If I remember correctly Phil Schiller did the last keynote speech at Paris Expo. Although I'm pretty sure he only did so because Steve was ill.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

I have to agree. They can call it whatever they want, but to me it just looks bad. I remember when they pulled out of MWNY, and where is it now? My guess is that Macworld Expo will be no more come 2010, which is sad.

I remember a few years back, waking up early to watch the live stream with my roommate. And in recent years following the live play by play on websites. It was just a cool event. My guess is Apple doesn't have much of anything to talk about, or else Steve would be doing the farewell tour here and not Phil.

To be honest, i'm a bit bummed now...

• Reply 24 of 152
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    MW always forced Apple to release some sort of hardware and/or software or it would be interpreted on the web as a big [Apple] failure. This way, Apple releases stuff on THEIR OWN terms, hyping it up themselves, and so if they don't measure up, it's them, not some forced event they feel obliged to release something at.
  • Reply 25 of 152
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!

Dude you're stealing my line.
  • Reply 26 of 152
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    APPLE IS DOOMED!!!!!!

couldn't resist.
  • Reply 27 of 152
    This is only good for Apple. Now they're not forced to come up with something every January. They can focus on getting its products out when they're ready instead of when the next big event comes up. Lately, Apple has been doing this more and more. They can hold a media even at the Apple Campus whenever they're ready to release a major product.

I agree though, it sucks not to see a Steve Jobs Keynote Address anymore. I've never been to one and I guess I never will.

It makes you wonder if there really is still a health issue with Steve Jobs? IMO, Steve has every right to keep his health to himself. Its his own personal business. Its not like Apple can't survive without him (no disrespect intended). He has put some very, very good people in place in key areas so Apple can survive without him.

I also think this is pretty much the end of the MacWorld Expo which sucks because it was more than just Apple. It was all Mac based vendors. It was a great way for the everyday Joe to learn about a new product for their Mac. Sure, Apple I believe kept the conference going (assuming this is the end), and got most of the attention, but it wasn't all about Apple. In a way, I would be kind of disappointed this opportunity is now gone. At the same time, I would totally understand why Apple left.
  • Reply 28 of 152
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Well, it's a damn shame! I always enjoyed Steve Jobs' keynotes - the guy really is excellent to watch on stage.

And getting Phil Schiller to do the last one? Wow, can you imagine what the crowd is gonna be like?

Still, there's always those "Special Events" they keep having these days and WWDC.
  • Reply 29 of 152
    But but.... No more spyshots in elevators anymore then? :'(

On the more serious side - I believe it to be a bad step for Apple. It could remove quite a bit of their magical aura, by not having the bang of a product announcement(s)..
  • Reply 30 of 152
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    OK, why would Apple do that?

It is no surprising that Apple pulls out of MacWorld. However, why won't SJ give the last keynote?

1. SJ is indeed very ill.

or....

2. There will be something huge from Apple (Netbook? iPhone nano?), which will give Philip an opportunity to shine, and prove that Apple will be fine even if SJ is sick/retire.

Which one?
  • Reply 31 of 152
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    no more "boom"

no more "one more thing"

no more cheering (or booing) from the crowd.

say it isn't so...
  • Reply 32 of 152
    Pretty baffling move. The importance of trade shows may be diminishing, but I think Macworld SF is an exception.The last two years were very successful and gave Apple a huge amount of publicity. And since the event is so close to their HQ, it's not a big burden for them to attend. And for Jobs to skip out on Apple's last Macworld appearance ever is pretty weak.
  • Reply 33 of 152
    Anyone notice, that the story before mentioned that the holiday "sales", price point reductions will be drying up quickly?

For the buying public, that's bad.

For the company, that's good.

Stop the spiral of deflation (Hopefully).

Also, get the "focus" on the products, and off of S. Jobs.

He cannot do it forever!

Apple's got to forge on using his visionary skills, not his presentational skills.

So, get the public off that tit before it gets too important, like it is to us old timers!

Be well!

Pete
  • Reply 34 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

Lower prices will increase the users switching to Mac. Look at how the Netbook has caused the PC market to grow...

I'm a huge fan of netbooks, but the netbook isn't expanding the PC market in healthy ways. It is creating a market that destroys the market for more expensive devices; the total dollar sales could possibly shrink even if units do grow.

Apple creates an ecosystem of products that compliment each other. The key to Apple being successful with a netbook it to make something that compliments its desktop and laptop line effectively, so it creates an opportunity for a second or third sale rather than just offsetting a sale.

Unfortunately, this points much more towards an iPhone type device than a scaled down MacBook.
  • Reply 35 of 152
    I wonder if Phil will announce that Steve is leaving...
  • Reply 36 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

It is no surprising that Apple pulls out of MacWorld. However, why won't SJ give the last keynote?

or....

2. There will be something huge from Apple (Netbook? iPhone nano?), which will give Philip an opportunity to shine, and prove that Apple will be fine even if SJ is sick/retire.

Which one?

There will no doubt be a lot of speculation that #1 is the case. If anything you'd think Jobs would show up just to dispel this. For #2 that is a valid reason, but it would be more graceful for Steve to just do an intro then hand it off to Phil for all product announcements.
  • Reply 37 of 152
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

no more "boom"

no more "one more thing"

no more cheering (or booing) from the crowd.

say it isn't so...

No more temporary insanity at AI!
  • Reply 38 of 152
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

I wonder if Phil will announce that Steve is leaving...

Possible. A lot of NeXT people have already left. I guess even Apple gets boring after a while.
  • Reply 39 of 152
    Look on the brightside, at least there's still WWDC!

In a way it is sad. This is the last MWSF with Apple, where since Job's return the PowerMac G3 (Blue & White), Coloured iMacs, iMac (tilt screen), Titanium Powerbook G4, Mac OS X Aqua, iTunes and the first iPhone were unveiled. This event goes out over the world and all the major networks. When iPhone was announced it was on the BBC News. The “free“ publicity is surely valuable for Apple.

I would have preferred Bertrand Serlet and the team to talk about Snow Leopard and software for 2 hours rather than Phil Schiller, but I guess that wouldn't interest everyone. We'd probably all learn something interesting though.
  • Reply 40 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

OK, why would Apple do that?

or....

Which one?

I'd say it is more likely that the early start of this year's show conflicts with Steve's holiday vacation plans. I'll be an optimist.

The ROI on many of these shows is terrible, and with all the additional shows out there, it basically requires a dedicated team of people to support them. It can be great for marketing, but it is hard to hold on to the enthusiasm.