Apple says 2009 Macworld Expo will be its last

Comments

• Reply 41 of 152
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Phil ate Steve.....thats why no Steve.....
  • Reply 42 of 152
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

There will no doubt be a lot of speculation that #1 is the case. If anything you'd think Jobs would show up just to dispel this. For #2 that is a valid reason, but it would be more graceful for Steve to just do an intro then hand it off to Phil for all product announcements.

Actually, for the last few presentations, SJ already did that - start the show, then just let Phil and others to do the demo.

So, the natural next step is to have Phil to start the show.

Still, the timing is very curious. There has to be a very strong reason why SJ would skip the last MW.
  • Reply 43 of 152
    This is what's best for the company in the long run, i mean come on man everytime the freggin guy takes a shit there's all kinds of speculations and it's starting to take a toll on the comapany already, just ask a stock broker, they know what it feels like
  • Reply 44 of 152
    AH, now Apple announcements have become that much harder to pin down!!
  • Reply 45 of 152
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    deleted
  • Reply 46 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Animal Farm View Post

This makes sense, and it won't infringe on Apple's ability to launch its products through press events throughout the year. But it won't play like that -- it plays like Santa canceling Christmas, like the end of an era, like Steve Jobs being seriously unwell if he is unable to give the final Macworld keynote and finish what he started.

I wonder about SJ's health too.
  • Reply 47 of 152
    Apple has been moving towards its own venues for new products as of late, and it is somewhat understandable that they'd continue along that vein, announcing products when they are ready.

If Jobs gave a keynote in January and didn't announce some sort of mind-blowing new product, then the press (and all of us) would've just bitched and called it a waste of time.

I'm mostly bummed because I am taking this move to mean there is no new product being announced in January, which makes me wonder when we'll see updates to all the stuff we've been waiting for (mac pros, minis, etc.)

I guess we'll just have to wait until the next ninja special even press invites go out from here on in.
  • Reply 48 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Actually, for the last few presentations, SJ already did that - start the show, then just let Phil and others to do the demo.

So, the natural next step is to have Phil to start the show.

I think there's a big difference between actually unveiling the product and simply doing a demo. Steve has always done the actual unveiling of new products. There's much more of a dramatic element to unveiling.
  • Reply 49 of 152
    Quote:

OK, why would Apple do that?

It is no surprising that Apple pulls out of MacWorld. However, why won't SJ give the last keynote?

1. SJ is indeed very ill.

or....

I hate to break it to ya guys ... but Steve's been dead for over a year. They've been bringing him out to do presentations on strings like a marionette. The formaldehyde is just now starting to wear off which brings Phil front and center.

JK ... don't hate.
  • Reply 50 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

...and in other news, Santa cancels Christmas.

not at all. Apple has a point that trade shows are basically burning money. why not stop and use that for R&D on making their products better and cheaper. especially cheaper.

I personally would much rather see them knock $50 off the Macbook line than appear at another tradeshow.
  • Reply 51 of 152
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    If they want to pull out that's one thing but Steve should do the last show. It seems stupid to end an era with a switch hitter.
  • Reply 52 of 152
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post

For the buying public, that's bad.

For the company, that's good.

Stop the spiral of deflation (Hopefully).

Spiral of deflation? Dude, electronics and computers have been in deflation ever since the first ENIAC, and that has never stopped consumers from purchasing them, or has it ever prevented lots of companies making huge profits.

Also, I find it very amusing to read on these boards how Apple lost touch and stopped listening to its customers, when they've never been more succesful than they are today. Why do all these people here urge for the products Apple made when they were on the verge of bankruptcy?

ANd as for Schiller doing the keynote: I don't think it's because of Jobs feeling bad (read: worse than normally), it's just away of making shure the public realises Apple is more than just one man, as they tried to point out on numerous occasions in the past 2 years already. 'Cause face it, Jobs won't stay CEO till he's 65.
  • Reply 53 of 152
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    It was only a matter of time before Apple decided to pull out of MacWorld SF. I don't blame'em. They can throw all media events they want during the rest of the year where they can introduce new products when they're actually ready to ship. The impact to me, observing from the web, is relatively the same.
  • Reply 54 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

The announcement moves the focus off of Steve Jobs as being the only person who can make (keep) the company successful.

yep. folks were pulling a chicken little cause they say that Steve Jobs IS Apple. having him not do the keynote solo and now not at all is likely an attempt to show folks that there are other smart minds at the company etc
  • Reply 55 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

MacWorld has always been a hugely expensive undertaking and as far as I'm concerned a waste of money. Of course, I will miss Steve Jobs doing his annual stage show but this is just a sign of the times.

so now every 4 months or so, you'll get the worldwide simulcast to every Apple store of the Great Steve Mobs -- I mean Jobs -- coming live from his secret hideaway on a South Pacific island that no one can find unless they already know where it is, fueled by a strangely high magnetic power and guarded by polar bears and a bizarre smoke monster.
  • Reply 56 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

There will no doubt be a lot of speculation that #1 is the case. If anything you'd think Jobs would show up just to dispel this. For #2 that is a valid reason, but it would be more graceful for Steve to just do an intro then hand it off to Phil for all product announcements.

I agree that SJ should announce Phil. His absence will just stoke the flames of doubt over his health. Sooner or later the baton must be passed. The last macbook presentation showed a shared stage. Perhaps this is Phil's time to take the baton and let Steve watch from the wings of the stage or the boardroom.
  • Reply 57 of 152
    the announcement is that he won't be giving the keynote - not that he won't be there. He's handing things off and I expect a big announcement.
  • Reply 58 of 152
    Quote:

or....

2. There will be something huge from Apple (Netbook? iPhone nano?), which will give Philip an opportunity to shine, and prove that Apple will be fine even if SJ is sick/retire.

my vote. at least that they want to show folks that there's more than Steve driving. which is always why he's been sharing the stage of late.

but I firmly disagree that the big is an iphone nano or a netbook. maybe a 32 gb iphone if anything phone related. maybe they will announce when the att deal ends (doubt it). otherwise, i'm guessing it's all about the imac, mini, pro tower, and maybe the time capsule, airports and apple tv
  • Reply 59 of 152
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    FINALLY!

Apple's strategy worked during past years, but people expect too much at such events which hurts the company even more. Now Apple is really gonna be unpredictable. Announcing things when ever they are ready.

This is a good start in a new direction.
  • Reply 60 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post

Also, get the "focus" on the products, and off of S. Jobs.

He cannot do it forever!

which might be why he's not doing the big speech