Apple says 2009 Macworld Expo will be its last

Comments

• Reply 61 of 152
    I think Apple's absence at an annual event such as Macworld will harm the company in the long haul -- but I understand why Apple wants to introduce new products on their own timetable rather than on IDG's.
  • Reply 62 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leppo View Post

I'm mostly bummed because I am taking this move to mean there is no new product being announced in January, which makes me wonder when we'll see updates to all the stuff we've been waiting for (mac pros, minis, etc.)

Quite the opposite. It could also mean that there are some really exciting new products or revamps that will be announced and that such a move is, in fact, what will be needed to blunt the impact of SJ's absence, as well as to ease Phil's (solo) debut.

I think that we have not yet seen the promised 'low-margin' product that will be the 'game-changer,' and this could be where we see it. (I have no clue what it could be; one guess is, a $99 iPhone Nano, sold at Wal-mart).
  • Reply 63 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I'm a huge fan of netbooks, but the netbook isn't expanding the PC market in healthy ways. It is creating a market that destroys the market for more expensive devices; the total dollar sales could possibly shrink even if units do grow.

Apple creates an ecosystem of products that compliment each other. The key to Apple being successful with a netbook it to make something that compliments its desktop and laptop line effectively, so it creates an opportunity for a second or third sale rather than just offsetting a sale.

Unfortunately, this points much more towards an iPhone type device than a scaled down MacBook.

Studies show that currently a Netbook is a Secondary device not a Primary device. As such I would be interested in having a very powerful gaming desktop but having a netbook for travel and internet,email,im on the couch. As it is I have spent more money on a Macbook and a custom gaming pc.

For the few that use a Netbook a primary device, they really wouldn't justify more than $400 as they only wish to do light browsing and email or just can't afford more and bringing them into the apple camp won't hurt apple any more than the fact that people still buy the underpowered Mac Mini as their only computer.

Now obviously I can afford both an expensive desktop and relatively high priced laptop. But most people choose one or the other. Apple could really expand their market with a midrise tower that was enginered for gaming (as games port over) as well as running Vista/Windows 7. Then I would gladly take a 10in netbook that was $500 or so for the couch. In addition you would have people that just want email and internet but in a portable from get this netbook. I don't see how getting its software out there would hurt them at all, use Intel Atom and call its a netbook. People that want more will get more.
  • Reply 64 of 152
    R.I.P.

• Reply 65 of 152
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

so now every 4 months or so, you'll get the worldwide simulcast to every Apple store of the Great Steve Mobs -- I mean Jobs -- coming live from his secret hideaway on a South Pacific island that no one can find unless they already know where it is, fueled by a strangely high magnetic power and guarded by polar bears and a bizarre smoke monster.

Steve must be really pissed about the Simpsons making fun of him in that Mapple episode. Maybe the insults hit a little too close to home. For example, "The light shows that it's off". Or portraying him as the talking head in the 1984 commercial. Or portraying Mapple users as blind cultists worshipping his every whim.

So now Steve is reacting like he always does, by throwing a fit and going to extremes. For example, people asked for a low cost Mac without a monitor. And Steve gave them a crippled, underpowered, unexpandable Mac Mini, which was his way of telling the public "Fuck you". "Here's your Mac minitower, suckers!".

Steve was reported as calling the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley "mean spirited".

After he saw the Mapple episode, Steve threw another fit. "Just for that, I'm pulling Apple completely out of Macworld. Screw you guys, I'm going home!".
  • Reply 66 of 152
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

not at all. Apple has a point that trade shows are basically burning money. why not stop and use that for R&D on making their products better and cheaper. especially cheaper.

I personally would much rather see them knock $50 off the Macbook line than appear at another tradeshow.

Apple has ZERO debt and like 18 billion in the bank.

They could throw MWSF by themselves and it wouldn't put a dent in the bottom line.

The only thing I can think of is that they are moving away from the huge venues as their stock tends to get bought up and then sold down afterward.

But the amount of free press that they get is HUGE!! and it's wall to wall.
  • Reply 67 of 152
    In a sense, MW Expo will be missed...

...but in another sense, it was a piece of crap and won't be missed.

When was the last time something interesting came out of a Macworld Expo? Steve's MW keynotes were almost always disappointing. And the hype...oh gawd, the hype.

Seriously, the last good MW keynote must have happened 5 or 6 years ago because I can't for the life of me remember being genuinely impressed.
  • Reply 68 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

APPLE IS DOOMED!!!!!!

couldn't resist.

I couldn't resist either.

http://doomd.ytmnd.com/
  • Reply 69 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Apple is selling more computers than it ever has.

Apple continues to excel with the iPod / iTunes product line.

There is no "demand" to lower the prices. They only do when they want to increase their presence to a larger market. Apple wouldn't be Apple if the price wasn't different, as well. The extra cash they make allows them to do what they do.

Honestly, if you were in their shoes, how would you look at it? If you had a business with products in high demand, would you say "okay, we're lowering our prices to be nice". That's not a good reason.

Maybe you should read the headlines today.

Apple Macs Fall Behind Windows PCs In Sales

The numbers are an indication that Apple may be feeling the competitive pressure of Windows PC vendors, such as HP and Dell, which have cut prices at much larger percentages.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...ubSection=News
  • Reply 70 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Steve must be really pissed about the Simpsons making fun of him in that Mapple episode. Maybe the insults hit a little too close to home. For example, "The light shows that it's off". Or portraying him as the talking head in the 1984 commercial. Or portraying Mapple users as blind cultists worshipping his every whim.

So now Steve is reacting like he always does, by throwing a fit and going to extremes. For example, people asked for a low cost Mac without a monitor. And Steve gave them a crippled, underpowered, unexpandable Mac Mini, which was his way of telling the public "Fuck you". "Here's your Mac minitower, suckers!".

Steve was reported as calling the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley "mean spirited".

After he saw the Mapple episode, Steve threw another fit. "Just for that, I'm pulling Apple completely out of Macworld. Screw you guys, I'm going home!".

You made me laugh Now I need to go watch the Simpsons episode again...

In the long run I do think this will backfire on Apple. As its cheaper for journalist to go to one trade show and thus they can't go to every comapanies press conference launcing a product. While this won't directly hurt Apple, it will hurt all the other companies pushing their mac related products at MacWorld. Some of these companies I'm sure were there when Apple was at its lowest and now Apple is telling them to screw off, just like it did to firewire in the Macbook. I just don't know how telling those who have been so loyal to fend for themselves is such a good idea. Trade shows are important.

As a new White Macbook users (I got a 2.4ghz earlier in the year). It dissapoints me, and I think the new macbooks with the potential nvidia problems and lack of firewire dissapointed me. Its odd, a company spends so much to gather marketshare but it seems almost every company that does this looses sight of the customer.
  • Reply 71 of 152
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

When was the last time something interesting came out of a Macworld Expo? Steve's MW keynotes were almost always disappointing. And the hype...oh gawd, the hype.

Seriously, the last good MW keynote must have happened 5 or 6 years ago because I can't for the life of me remember being genuinely impressed.

You have short memory....2007, iPhone...
  • Reply 72 of 152
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    Steve Dont Go :cry:
  • Reply 73 of 152
    What a bummer. I'll miss the Apple announcements at the MacWorld very much. It's always the fun part of MacWorld.

Perhaps Apple wants to detach itself from MacWorld because they're both becoming somewhat synonymous, and Wall Street relies on Apple's showmanship and announcements at MacWorld too much to gauge Apple's stock value. As we've seen in the past, the value of Apple's stock fluctuates up and down without much logic simply because of Apple's keynote presented on that one day versus how the new products will actually perform in the market a few months after their announcement.

Oh well. I'll miss Apple's presence at MacWorld very much
  • Reply 74 of 152
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Hopefully they will still have the developer conference. There really is value in having all the developers able to talk to each other and the Apple people.
  • Reply 75 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple announced Tuesday that next month is the last time the company will exhibit at Macworld Expo in San Francisco and that chief executive Steve Jobs will not be making a keynote presentation this year.

Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing,*will deliver the opening keynote for this year?s Macworld Conference & Expo, and it*will be Apple?s last keynote at the show.

The keynote address will be held at Moscone West on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 at 9:00 a.m. Macworld will be held at San Francisco?s Moscone Center January 5-9, 2009.

"Apple is reaching more people in more ways than ever before, so like many companies, trade shows have become a very minor part of how Apple reaches its customers," the company said.*

"The increasing popularity of Apple?s Retail Stores, which more than 3.5 million people visit every week,*and the Apple.com website enable Apple to directly reach more than a hundred million customers around the world in innovative new ways."

Apple has*been steadily scaling back on trade shows in recent years, including NAB, Macworld New York, Macworld Tokyo and Apple Expo in Paris.

The startling news comes after a string of bad news for Macworld host IDG that has seen Adobe and Belkin withdraw from the show while other recognizable companies have opted to scale back their presences at the San Francisco event. Officially, these exhibitors have attributed their withdrawals or reduced presences to economic conditions.

Previously, Apple's exit from these events has effectively signaled their respective death knells.

After IDG announced a return of its East coast Macworld Expo to Boston from New York, Apple promptly canceled its own presence at the relocated event and refused to return even when IDG reversed its decision and moved the event back. The magazine publisher continued on with the New York gathering for 2004 and 2005 but was ultimately forced to shut it down as attendance dwindled and exhibitors rapidly backed out.

Without further elaboration from Apple, the twin decisions of exiting from Macworld and CEO Steve Jobs' absence from the stage is having a destructive effect on the Mac maker's shares as well: as of this writing, the company's stock is down more than 4.5 percent in after-hours trading.

Well, ya know, the internet is the future! With the deep world wide recession we are in, the planet will look to the world wide web for information, entertainment, marketing, shopping, information - Everything! Why do we need to ever have conventions again? the future is now!

www.applepii.com is or sale - $1500.00
  • Reply 76 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

MWSF 2007 saw the unveiling of something called the iPhone. But it sounds like you weren't impressed...
  • Reply 77 of 152
    Wouldn't it have been less damaging if Jobs did the very last Macworld?

Do they have to spur the already-dead/deathly-ill/simply-leaving-the-company speculation?
  • Reply 78 of 152
    Although I'm sorry to see the Stevenote go away and I hope Steve's health is OK, from a business standpoint, these events have been bad for Apple for a long time.

Sure, they lead to slightly increased publicity, but they also lead to people holding off purchases until "after Macworld" or "after *month*, Apple always updates then." That kind of predictability is not good.

Hopefully, now Apple will ship products on a much more random timescale, when they are ready and not when there's an event on the calendar. BOOM, one day there's a press release and new Macbooks, out of the blue.
  • Reply 79 of 152
    Hi All....

This is TRULY shocking news....but I do think Steve will be there to pass the baton.

Why am I so sure?

Anyone seen the current issue of Macworld?

2009 is Mac's 25th Birthday. Perhaps Steve sees this as the right time to turn things over? Perhaps there will be some sort of discussion of Mac's 25th Anniversary at MAC world?

Anyway, as long we I still get to watch WWDC Keynotes and special events throughout the year, I'll be happy.

One thing is for sure.....2009 will be an interesting year.....
  • Reply 80 of 152
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Quote:

Maybe you should read the headlines today.

Apple Macs Fall Behind Windows PCs In Sales

The numbers are an indication that Apple may be feeling the competitive pressure of Windows PC vendors, such as HP and Dell, which have cut prices at much larger percentages.

Maybe you should read between the lines and not fall hook, line , and sinker for the spin the shorts put on every piece of Apple news. Desktop sales were down for everyone (iMac line needs a refresh) BUT notebook sales were up. Also factor in the 15-20% discounts the PC makers were giving on MUCH lower margin products as compared to the 5% Apple gave on higher margin products and....Tadah! pretty good profits for Apple compared to generic PC vendor X. It's a recession, any profit growth is a phenomenal result.