Apple says 2009 Macworld Expo will be its last

Comments

• Reply 81 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple announced Tuesday that next month is the last time the company will exhibit at Macworld Expo in San Francisco and that chief executive Steve Jobs will not be making a keynote presentation this year.

Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing,*will deliver the opening keynote for this year?s Macworld Conference & Expo, and it*will be Apple?s last keynote at the show.

The keynote address will be held at Moscone West on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 at 9:00 a.m. Macworld will be held at San Francisco?s Moscone Center January 5-9, 2009.

"Apple is reaching more people in more ways than ever before, so like many companies, trade shows have become a very minor part of how Apple reaches its customers," the company said.*

"The increasing popularity of Apple?s Retail Stores, which more than 3.5 million people visit every week,*and the Apple.com website enable Apple to directly reach more than a hundred million customers around the world in innovative new ways."

Apple has*been steadily scaling back on trade shows in recent years, including NAB, Macworld New York, Macworld Tokyo and Apple Expo in Paris.

The startling news comes after a string of bad news for Macworld host IDG that has seen Adobe and Belkin withdraw from the show while other recognizable companies have opted to scale back their presences at the San Francisco event. Officially, these exhibitors have attributed their withdrawals or reduced presences to economic conditions.

Previously, Apple's exit from these events has effectively signaled their respective death knells.

After IDG announced a return of its East coast Macworld Expo to Boston from New York, Apple promptly canceled its own presence at the relocated event and refused to return even when IDG reversed its decision and moved the event back. The magazine publisher continued on with the New York gathering for 2004 and 2005 but was ultimately forced to shut it down as attendance dwindled and exhibitors rapidly backed out.

Without further elaboration from Apple, the twin decisions of exiting from Macworld and CEO Steve Jobs' absence from the stage is having a destructive effect on the Mac maker's shares as well: as of this writing, the company's stock is down more than 4.5 percent in after-hours trading.

A band like U2 only do rock concerts to give back to the loyal fans, the falling Apple stock price after this announcement is a message. When are the stock holders going to have a say in how Apple is run because without a massive trade show, web cast and a keynote that sets the pace for the new year, Apple just looks small fry. Anyone noticed how many faster machines not made by Apple are now listed on Xbench.
  • Reply 82 of 152
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Chillax peeps.

I'm sure Steve's fine. Apple says they're pulling out because a) their relationship with IDG (the organisers of Macworld) isn't the best, b) they don't need Macworld to get 'their message out there' anymore, and c) they've got like, 3 other events during the year anyway. I'm sure these are all reason enough for the decision.

As for Phil, well it's probably about time someone else started doing the keynotes. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve spent most of his time rehearsing for the event rather than using his noodle in more constructive ways at Apple.

They might have also finally decided to let the head of marketing do the marketing.

Jimzip
  • Reply 83 of 152
    No Steve Keynote...!!!

No new products?

Not good for AAPL

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AAPL

Not happy news..., I think...

Then the speculations about Steve's health will get louder, as AAPL dives..., thus more grimness till after the Recession/Depression is over in 1-2 years?

If it was too much for Apple to do this in their BACKYARD, in SF, it's unlikely they'll be back in anywhere in US... MAYBE they'll show up in Paris a few more times, but only MAYBE!

All vendors better get really good at Show and Tell Videos on their sites, Q+A's, FAQs, and anything else that can REMOTELY replicate real time, in person, interaction ala at Expo Boot!!!

Such Show and Tell Videos should still be cheaper then the costs of participating at such Expos...

But, who knows, maybe after the Recession/Depression is over in 1-2 years they might bring all this back with a fanfare? If so, hope they do it in NYC, for max Media Exposure! Except, NYC would be more expensive to do for everyone!
  • Reply 84 of 152
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Phil usually does the Mac Pro announcements, so maybe a Core i7 version is coming.

I don't think this necessarily means Steve is sick - maybe he only wants to announce game-changing products or products with a lot of changes, and not incremental bumps to Mac Pro and Mac mini.
  • Reply 85 of 152
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Underbelly View Post

A band like U2 only do rock concerts to give back to the loyal fans, the falling Apple stock price after this announcement is a message. When are the stock holders going to have a say in how Apple is run because without a massive trade show, web cast and a keynote that sets the pace for the new year, Apple just looks small fry. Anyone noticed how many faster machines not made by Apple are now listed on Xbench.

What you mean a message for the same collection of idiots that just needed a govt funded bailout?

Tradeshows are passe..have been so for years. If the Web is killing print publishing then it stands to reason that it effectively killed tradeshows a LONG time ago.

Apple needs to deliver products when they're ready.

Tradeshows are done..stick a fork in them for the most part. WWDC will continue because Developers need one to one time with Apple Engineers and Apple makes money or at least defrays the costs by charging for WWDC.
  • Reply 86 of 152
    This changes everything.
  • Reply 87 of 152
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I wonder if IDG could do a multimedia event online in future - or would that be a bit technical?

I also hope that this change in the yearly timetable might help stabilize Apple's stock.
  • Reply 88 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

In a sense, MW Expo will be missed...

...but in another sense, it was a piece of crap and won't be missed.

<snip>

I don't agree with your assessment of the Keynote's but I do feel that MWExpo is hugely overpriced and badly organized.

I attended the 2008 Expo, having pre-registered online. I was shunted from line to line by less than customer-oriented staff who treated me as an annoyance.

A short walk to the Apple Store showed a world of difference - eager and enthusiastic staff (despite the crowds) and a well-organized, welcoming environment.

I think the speculation such as Jobs is too ill to attend misses the point - Apple wants to dissociate itself from an event that no longer reflects the company's standards.
  • Reply 89 of 152
    Stop Trading!

Remove panties from bunched area.

Read it for what it is. Phil is opening the keynote. Says NOT ONE DAMN THING that Job's will NOT be there. Phil opens, new MacMini. Johnathan comes up, New NetBook. Steve comes out or comes up on the big screen and Blamo'. Or maybe he phones it in. Maybe he stays back at home or maybe....

And you know I have seen this for the last 2 years. Steve has been giving more and more credit to those who are working behind the scenes. He's been sharing the spotlight. Basically telling the world that Apple is Not Me and I am not Apple. He's the CEO and a pretty damn good one but he's NOT the company. You think he's making every decision over there? No way. He may be making final say on certain things but the company works together as a machine.

Hey, he's getting older and his family is getting larger. Maybe he just wants some personal time. Share the spotlight, let others have a voice outside the company. So let's see how this last one goes. Brick/Mortar venue's for a high-tech company on the verge of everything seems kinda dated anyways. Next year they'll probably do a live webcast from in-house. It would be more personal and practical.

Steve, if your reading these. Relax, have a drink and go do what you want to do. And by the way Thanks for the last 30 years of timeless innovation. Your making the world a better place because of the company and people you inspire everyday. Big thanks to Woz too!
  • Reply 90 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adams son View Post

I attended the 2008 Expo, having pre-registered online. I was shunted from line to line by less than customer-oriented staff who treated me as an annoyance.

A short walk to the Apple Store showed a world of difference - eager and enthusiastic staff (despite the crowds) and a well-organized, welcoming environment.

I think the speculation such as Jobs is too ill to attend misses the point - Apple wants to dissociate itself from an event that no longer reflects the company's standards.

Interesting observation as. I could see how others would support your opinion. Tradeshows are often clusterfcks and annoying in a lot of ways.

http://applecanceledchristmas.com/

LOL
  • Reply 91 of 152
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Is there a point of having a Macworld without Apple being there (this is the last year)? Is there a point of going if Steve isn't giving the keynote? What are the Apple nerds going to do in January? There is a bowling alley next to Moscone, anyone up for nerd bowling?
  • Reply 92 of 152
    Less expos, less rumors, less rumor sites. AppleInsider will die a spiraling death.
  • Reply 93 of 152
    Apple is totally oblivious to what things like this do to their shareholders. We are down another 4-5% after hours. The hedgefunds are shorting anyway to protect their December Option Positions. Apple management makes that hatchet job easy.

I emailed Apple Investor Relations to ask if Steve would at least be present at the Event? I urge everyone to do the same. I'm tired of being screwed by this totally unaware management. Let them know you are too!
  • Reply 94 of 152
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I wonder if IDG could do a multimedia event online in future - or would that be a bit technical?

I also hope that this change in the yearly timetable might help stabilize Apple's stock.

In "stabilize" do you mean the stock can go up a lot but no longer do down a lot? That would be nice.
  • Reply 95 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dshel View Post

Apple is totally oblivious to what things like this do to their shareholders. We are down another 4-5% after hours. The hedgefunds are shorting anyway to protect their December Option Positions. Apple management makes that hatchet job easy.

I emailed Apple Investor Relations to ask if Steve would at least be present at the Event? I urge everyone to do the same. I'm tired of being screwed by this totally unaware management. Let them know you are too!

That doesn't make sense though. Apple's taking a stance that will save them millions over the years if not in a single year. Only abject idiocy could make and investor fail to see the forest through the trees here.

Apple is run by more people than Steve Jobs.. The difference between Apple today and Apple before Job's Return is that they have a clarity of vision.

Apple has to realize that Expos are not the ideal way to reach customers. Retail stores in conjection with special press events are a much more effective way of spending company resources and reaching out to consumers.
  • Reply 96 of 152
    Quote:

Apple announced Tuesday that next month is the last time the company will exhibit at Macworld Expo in San Francisco and that chief executive Steve Jobs will not be making a keynote presentation this year.

Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing,*will deliver the opening keynote for this year?s Macworld Conference & Expo, and it*will be Apple?s last keynote at the show.

It's been part of Apple CEO's job to be the public spokeperson and chief motivator behind the Apple brand. If Steve Jobs is ill, he should retire and Apple should use the event to introduce its next CEO.

Looking at the future, there is no reason why Apple should not take part in the CES trade show held in Las Vegas every January at about the same time as MacWorld San Francisco.

Apple needs the visibility and motivation of a public trade show to showcase its latest products. If no longer MacWorld San Francisco, then surely the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas.

• Reply 97 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

I would have preferred Bertrand Serlet and the team to talk about Snow Leopard and software for 2 hours rather than Phil Schiller, but I guess that wouldn't interest everyone. We'd probably all learn something interesting though.

Snow Leopard=Software=WWDC

Sure it would be nice, but this is MacWorld and time to focus on the Mac and hopefully some new hardware. They could throw in a bit about Snow Leopard, but certainly not devote the whole keynote to it.
  • Reply 98 of 152
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

this...is stunning

Apple never surprise me personally. They go from ridiculous, to crazy, to revolutionary, in one month - every month.
  • Reply 99 of 152
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    This is great news.

MacWorld SanFran has been dying a slow death like all mega tradefests. In the age of the internet and while staring into recession, it is incredibly stupid to build a show around corporate budgets and meet-and-greets.

Hopefully, IDG will take the opportunity to build an area-specific show held in major centres.

Use the disengagement with Apple to build a discount show flooded with local Mac retailers.

Build an experience around user workshops, user-group roundtables and programmers' networks.

Ensure every show builds some kind of app or solution geared to the local community.

Oh, and start with Toronto.
  • Reply 100 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Possible. A lot of NeXT people have already left. I guess even Apple gets boring after a while.

I haven't read all the responses, but...I'm gonna say it....I don't think Steve is a very good presenter.

The guy I was really impressed with was the young guy in charge of iPod development I think it was. He presented very eloquently, not an 'um' or an 'ah' anywhere in his speech. And Steve kept saying 'boom' ad nauseum - what about, for variety, something like 'bam' or 'woosh' or 'cha-ding' once in awhile? ;-)

Sure Steve is charismatic, but he's as mortal as you and I, let's not forget that. Things change - tell your friends!