OH GOD!!!!! [iWalk]

Comments

• Reply 401 of 587
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Little Newton:

<strong>So, if real, how about a Sahara G3 and 5GB iPod drive and an ADC to connect to 15" ASD and get USB off monitor to drive k/b.</strong><hr></blockquote>

My only problem with this is power. ADC provides power to the display. How is a little handheld going to do this withougt seriously depleting the battery?

Makes more sense to just sync.

-Paul
  • Reply 402 of 587
    This is definitely a masterfully engineered hoax. Kudos to those who did it--I almost got sucked in.

1) As reported earlier in this thread, the converted text in "sayhello.mov" is clearly not real due to the fact that it doesn't move when the iWalk moves slightly. The converted text has been added in by some video editing application. This is the only conclusive proof the product is faked.

2) In "bootup.mov" the iWalk doesn't move one bit--despite the fact that a button on the outer edge of the product is being pressed. I fail to see how you could press this button without causing the iWalk to move at least a little. And why treat it so gingerly to make sure it doesn't move? It would seem to me it's to make it easier to overlay a fake display on the video footage.

3) The giant knob on the front is very un-apple-like and is quite useless as well. The iWalk supposedly operates in 2 modes: landscape and portrait. The act of rotating the knob and then pressing the button is redundant. All I would need to do is press a button and have that switch between viewing modes.

4) The product name is nothing Apple would ever use and is not trademarked. iWalk has too much in common with the name of the Sony Walkman. The product is clearly not a music player.

Nice try, but definitely fake.
  • Reply 404 of 587
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    [quote]Originally posted by TCO:

<strong>hmm... mebbe this bit from mosr.com is related:

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The kids over at Press 3 forums have posted an image of the mac directory item, and I immediately recognized it!

<a href="http://www.press3.com/forums/showthread.php?s=e8c7b7bf252588acdaaf78f13737d81f&; threadid=11426&perpage=15&pagenumber=1" target="_blank">http://www.press3.com/forums/showthread.php?s=e8c7b7bf252588acdaaf78f13737d81f&; threadid=11426&perpage=15&pagenumber=1</a>

<a href="http://www.press3.com/forums/attachment.php?s=e8c7b7bf252588acdaaf78f13737d81f&; postid=57458" target="_blank">http://www.press3.com/forums/attachment.php?s=e8c7b7bf252588acdaaf78f13737d81f&; postid=57458</a>

It is indeed a newton prototype, but.. from like twelve years ago.

If you have the absolutely fabulous book "Apple Designs" by Paul Kunkel, turn to page 142, plate 189 is the thingie on mac directory's cover.

From Page 142

[quote] Concept for a mid sized PDA (Newton) <hr></blockquote>

oh well, I was almost excited about that one

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 404 of 587
    [quote]Originally posted by Little Newton:

<strong>So, if real, how about a Sahara G3 and 5GB iPod drive and an ADC to connect to 15" ASD and get USB off monitor to drive k/b. A light OS using ARM and Flash Memory when on the go and the G3 and Flash and HD when "based". Picture a student with this in class to take notes and access textbooks and bring home or to lab full of ASD and boot into OSX and manipulate notes in AW or Office apps.

699</strong><hr></blockquote>

How about an iBook? There's no reason to go to the expense of adding a full-on G3, huge hard drive, and ADC when 1) it isn't meant to be a full mobile computer, and 2) it would only come on when docked (?) but if you're docked it means you already have something faster on your desktop anyways. 3) iBook and PowerBook don't even have ADC

That's why handhelds sync.

If you're suggesting that this eliminates the need for a desktop or other computer altogether, it's a pretty absurd business strategy. Considering that the cost you list is not far removed from an iMac, you're taking a serious performance/feature hit (until you bought a monitor, keyboard and mouse, you'd be able to purchase an iMac and then some). Not to mention that doing things this way would allow you to avoid the purchase of an Apple computer, and that's not what the company wants. Just wouldn't work, on many levels.

-S
  • Reply 406 of 587
    Think about polymer displays. (Organic EL, OLED, CDT etc...)

'Backstage pass to the future' - Apple to be first to release a high res organic color display in a handheld device. This may explain why some people feel strange about the display lightning situation, although I'm still 60% on the hoax side.

BTW: the person in the turnaround.mov says a name and then 'bitte' which means please. This comes obviously from the guy holding the camera, who doesn't want the other one come to close to the lens.
  • Reply 407 of 587
    [quote]Originally posted by DasDaSein:

<strong>Think about polymer displays. (Organic EL, OLED, CDT etc...)

'Backstage pass to the future' - Apple to be first to release a high res organic color display in a handheld device. This may explain why some people feel strange about the display lightning situation, although I'm still 60% on the hoax side.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The last polymer display I saw/read about was no more than a square inch in area and was far from displaying any kind of robust color. I don't think even Apple could have advanced the technology enough to ship a product based on it, at this point.

-S
  • Reply 408 of 587
    [quote]Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:

<strong>

The last polymer display I saw/read about was no more than a square inch in area and was far from displaying any kind of robust color. I don't think even Apple could have advanced the technology enough to ship a product based on it, at this point.

-S</strong><hr></blockquote>

Last years 'SID 2001/San Jose showed lots of working prototypes. Sony had a 800x600 13" OLED, eMagin had 852x600 at a size of 12.8 x 9mm!!, Toshiba had a 2.85" LEP (Light Emitting Polymer) displaying 260K colors and 64 levels of gray, Pioneer had a 320x320 3" full color OELD ...etc. I think there is enough in the works.
  • Reply 409 of 587
    Over at <a href="http://www.macslash.com"; target="_blank">MacSlash</a> they've also been discussing this and <a href="http://www.macslash.com/comments.pl?sid=02/01/03/0345207&threshold=0&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid= 81" target="_blank">this message</a> has a fairly thorough debunking of all the movies and pictures.
  • Reply 409 of 587
    And still, when the finger moves the wheel in "Bootup.mov", first the wheel doesn't move, although the finger does. And after a second, the wheel snaps to where the finger is. VERY bad.

If you want this in slow motion, click here:

<a href="http://www.olivergruber.ch/stuff/iwalkfake.mov"; target="_blank">http://www.olivergruber.ch/stuff/iwalkfake.mov</a>;

Note: You'll need QuickTime 5 and the Sorenson 3 Codec for this one.
  • Reply 411 of 587
    [quote]Originally posted by olli_g:

<strong>And still, when the finger moves the wheel in "Bootup.mov", first the wheel doesn't move, although the finger does. And after a second, the wheel snaps to where the finger is. VERY bad.

I think one could even explain this if he wants. Such a wheel can't be there just for screen rotation purposes. Maybe it holds an airport antenna or it is of course multifuctional. Maybe you might use it for scrolling - in this case you have to reach a certain point at which the inner part (apple logo) snaps into position.
  • Reply 412 of 587
    odinn5odinn5 Posts: 107member
    My biggest problem is that you don't actually see the text written on the screeen by the stylus. All you see is the finished word after the hand moves from over each new word.
  • Reply 413 of 587
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I'm posting this again to remind you guy that spymac has been working on this mockup for a couple of months. The jog wheel's design in more inline with the old G4's and imacs than with the ibook and ipod. The displays being made by quanta are ~15" as stated by moragn stanley's people who could care less about what great new gadgets mac is coming out with. Spymac did all this to get your e.mail addresses and sell them to a broker. Address can sell for a good amount of money.

Here's an older mockup they did

<a href="http://www.spymac.com/archive102301.html"; target="_blank">http://www.spymac.com/archive102301.html</a>;
  • Reply 413 of 587
  • Reply 415 of 587
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:

<strong>

Other people havbe said this. I looked at it, at first glance it looks like it dose this. But I ran a bunch of test and whent throgh fram by frame and this is not tre. the letters move with the iWalk.

I think we will we an Apple PAD at MWSF. But it will not be iWalk. I think iWalk was a very erly prototy that has evolved a lot since.

I say this beacuse some of the desing just dose not match the other apple products like the iBook and the iPod. Forexamle, the hediuse scroll wheel, the ugly pen, the old apple logo at start up.

What ever it is we will know all in 4 days!!

I will know very first of couse seeing I am in SF now awating the Keynote were I will be in the first row. </strong><hr></blockquote>

The letters do indeed move...... but not till near the end when the unit noticibly shifts. Until then, they remain motionless while the whole unit jiggles.
  • Reply 416 of 587
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    It's final. iwalk is not a registered trademark. Don't believe me? Look it up yourselves..

<a href="http://tess.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=sce9gb.1.1"; target="_blank">http://tess.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=sce9gb.1.1</a>;

Your e.mail addresses will all be sold to a broker.
  • Reply 417 of 587
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:

<strong>Possible explanation for the whole "scroll wheel" thing...could be assignable to several different tasks, one of which is screen rotation (he did also have to push a button on the front). It could be that he wanted to demonstrate the wheel and it had nothing to do with screen rotation. Perhaps the power button works like many cell phone power buttons - to avoid accidental poweroff, it must be held down for more than a second to actually turn the thing off - a tap could produce a different response. I'm not too bothered by the fact that it only required a light tap - Apple's been into touch-response buttons rather than pushbuttons for a while now. Anyways, billions of explanations.

Yes but on a portable device? Ask around about how many toshiba laptop owners have had their batteries drain and won't turn on when they need it because they have a stupid external power button that can easily be depressed. The iWalk has one that is even more easily depressed. For a desktop product, it would be just fine, but for a portable device, it's a whole nother world.
  • Reply 418 of 587
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    I know the commentary in my posts tends to be much to flowery, so I've decided to try and tighten things up a bit. Call it a New Years resolution.

What a crock of ****.

I wonder how many e-mail addresses Spymac has collected getting people to "register" to see this crap?
  • Reply 419 of 587
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebrie:

<strong>

Yes but on a portable device? Ask around about how many toshiba laptop owners have had their batteries drain and won't turn on when they need it because they have a stupid external power button that can easily be depressed. The iWalk has one that is even more easily depressed. For a desktop product, it would be just fine, but for a portable device, it's a whole nother world.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Right - but there are switches that respond when lightly touched by your finger due to the small electrical current that runs through the human body. To me, it seems that this is a safer switch to have on a portable device, as doing something like bumping it up against a pen in a purse wouldn't cause the thing to turn on - no matter how hard.

Again, not to say it's real - just an explanation.

-S
  • Reply 420 of 587
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>I know the commentary in my posts tends to be much to flowery, so I've decided to try and tighten things up a bit. Call it a New Years resolution.

What a crock of ****.

I wonder how many e-mail addresses Spymac has collected getting people to "register" to see this crap?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, if people read through this thread they would find a perfectly usable L/P wiithout giving their email address.

I sent it to AtAT, hopefully the "AI BOARDS" will be mentiond in their episode today...

-Paul