Apple says 2009 Macworld Expo will be its last

Comments

• Reply 101 of 152
    When was the last time he was seen? For all we know he is in hospice care and the end is near?
  • Reply 102 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Possible. A lot of NeXT people have already left. I guess even Apple gets boring after a while.

There are several possibilities:
    1. Apple is not ready with their Core i7 systems.

2. Snow Leopard is not ready for a "Bake-off".

3. Snow Leopard is mostly "under the hood". The technology is not appropriate for MW, better for WDCC.

I do know that they are working on something that has Steve very excited

This too must not be ready. But, I hear they are close!

I am planning my next purchases whenever Snow Leopard appears on a Core i7 system.
  • Reply 103 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aheneen View Post

snow leopard=software=wwdc

sure it would be nice, but this is macworld and time to focus on the mac and hopefully some new hardware. They could throw in a bit about snow leopard, but certainly not devote the whole keynote to it.

2001 mwsf
  • Reply 104 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

MWSF 2007 saw the unveiling of something called the iPhone. But it sounds like you weren't impressed...

Not particularly. It's called MACworld. Not PHONEworld.
  • Reply 105 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

That doesn't make sense though. Apple's taking a stance that will save them millions over the years if not in a single year. Only abject idiocy could make and investor fail to see the forest through the trees here.

Apple is run by more people than Steve Jobs.. The difference between Apple today and Apple before Job's Return is that they have a clarity of vision.

Apple has to realize that Expos are not the ideal way to reach customers. Retail stores in conjection with special press events are a much more effective way of spending company resources and reaching out to consumers.

The announcement was handled VERY POORLY.

Many people fly and pay a lot of money to see this event and to give a press release this late in the game screws MacWorld and sends a very poor message to both the end users and the Market.

If you had paid $500 for airline tickets/$600 for a room for the few days and registration fee I think you'd have another viewpoint.

Many people go to this event to see Steve Jobs speak (Not one of them, I think he's an arrogant egocentric maniac) but he does have a big following.

At least Google and Adobe had the good business sense to make their announcements much earlier than this.

Poor Business Management and Not good for the Stock Holders.
  • Reply 106 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What you mean a message for the same collection of idiots that just needed a govt funded bailout?

Tradeshows are passe..have been so for years. If the Web is killing print publishing then it stands to reason that it effectively killed tradeshows a LONG time ago.

Apple needs to deliver products when they're ready.

Tradeshows are done..stick a fork in them for the most part. WWDC will continue because Developers need one to one time with Apple Engineers and Apple makes money or at least defrays the costs by charging for WWDC.

People have ignored the continuing decline in tradeshows for some time. 2008 Macworld Expo attendance was up but attendance was down at both CES(-9%) and CEDIA(-14%). NAMM attendance was up but NAB was down. Interop is doing well but people forget that this is a consolidated show which includes the former COMDEX show. Apple has assiduously built an alternative means to engage potential buyers when they are most ready to part with their money and without any reliance on a third-party to call the shots. Apple Retail affords more people the opportunity to conveniently learn about Apple products first-hand. Apple's withdrawal from Expo is no surprise for those who have been paying attention to Apple, tradeshows and the economy.

I think WWDC is safe. Attendance at developer conferences has been pretty solid and, as you noted, these conferences allow for in-depth presentations and face time with engineering resources.
  • Reply 107 of 152
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Apple has done well with their invite only special events. If they want to quell speculation about Steve then they can simply announce an Apple Special event in the new year with Steve'o at the mic.

I hope all is well with Mr. Steve P. Jobs.
  • Reply 108 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

The announcement was handled VERY POORLY.

Many people fly and pay a lot of money to see this event and to give a press release this late in the game screws MacWorld and sends a very poor message to both the end users and the Market.

If you had paid $500 for airline tickets/$600 for a room for the few days and registration fee I think you'd have another viewpoint.

Many people go to this event to see Steve Jobs speak (Not one of them, I think he's an arrogant egocentric maniac) but he does have a big following.

At least Google and Adobe had the good business sense to make their announcements much earlier than this.

Poor Business Management and Not good for the Stock Holders.

Perhaps Apple and Jobs are just tired of all the crap that guys like you can't seem to stop throwing.

The beauty of having special events in your own home is that you can keep out the free loaders.
  • Reply 109 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Perhaps Apple and Jobs are just tired of all the crap that guys like you can't seem to stop throwing.

The beauty of having special events in your own home is that you can keep out the free loaders.

It's people like me that pay his paycheck and I've taken a bath on Apple's Stock in the last year. This shows a total lack of respect for the Mac Community.

Enjoy the event from your living room but Apple OWE'S more than this to the end users/buyers, MacWorld and the Stock Holders.
  • Reply 110 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Apple needs the visibility and motivation of a public trade show to showcase its latest products. If no longer MacWorld San Francisco, then surely the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas.

It will be interesting to see if Apple chooses to participate at CES in 2010. CES attendance has been trending lower. Apple is well-situated in the Silicon Valley with an eager tech journalism industry anxious to scoop one another. I think Apple can get great coverage using media events (both large and small) to make announcements.
  • Reply 111 of 152
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dshel View Post

Apple is totally oblivious to what things like this do to their shareholders. We are down another 4-5% after hours. The hedgefunds are shorting anyway to protect their December Option Positions. Apple management makes that hatchet job easy.

I emailed Apple Investor Relations to ask if Steve would at least be present at the Event? I urge everyone to do the same. I'm tired of being screwed by this totally unaware management. Let them know you are too!

oh boy, aren't we getting a little over-excited here? you need to have a look at what has repeatedly happened before macworld expo (massive rumour/hype build-up, impossible to live up to) and after (over-hyped 'analysts' reporting to be 'disappointed') and the result has often been a drop of the stock, no matter what. kinda like what happens when apple reports good quarterly results.

of course 'urging everybody to email apple relations' on an internet rumour site must seriously impress the 'totally unaware management'... by all means keep us posted on how that's going!
  • Reply 112 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Animal Farm View Post

This makes sense, and it won't infringe on Apple's ability to launch its products through press events throughout the year. But it won't play like that -- it plays like Santa canceling Christmas, like the end of an era, like Steve Jobs being seriously unwell if he is unable to give the final Macworld keynote and finish what he started.

The things I will miss about MacWorld Expo is the anticipation of what might be. I remember when these rumor websites would all be guessing as to what Steve would be introducing and seeing which site had the "inside goods" and then there was the inevitable who got what specs correct, Monday Morning quarterbacking.

I'll miss the friendly banter that Steve would give MS at the beginning of the last few MacWorlds with the I'm a PC guy, or from the funny banners hanging in the hallway, etc.

I'll miss the throngs of Mac lovers, programmers, developers, customers, and employees sitting on the edge of their seats, the cheers, laughter, clapping, oooo's and aaaaawwww's.

And of course, the ever fashionable, "there's one more thing".

I have never been to a MacWorld Expo but I always looked forward to viewing the presentation on Apple's website, and while Apple may have more "venues" such as the Apple store or Special Press Announcements, but it's going to be a different class of people. If I recall correctly, the last Media Event held at the Apple campus was craptacular. Apple made all this hype over this event and after the event was over, people were left saying "that was it?" "that is what the fuss was about?" Of course the media was there in body only, not in "Apple Spirit" or "a Think Different mind set". The whole event wasn't even worth taping and posting to Apple's website. It was 40 minutes I would have wanted back.

I just don't think Apple is going to accomplish what it had with thousands of attendees, programmers, developers, etc as compared to a group of members of the media. And Apple stores, sure has the traffic, although I haven't been to my local store in half a year so if something "comes out", I probably wouldn't get a chance to be a part of it even if I could because there would be less build up than waiting for MacWorld to get here.

Heaven forbid, but what would these rumor sites have left other than reporting yesterdays news? Would be like reading the newspaper today of all the big stories you saw played over and over again on cable news yesterday.

So long MacWorld Expo. You were too good while it lasted...
  • Reply 113 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Not particularly. It's called MACworld. Not PHONEworld.

not yet...
  • Reply 114 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

You have short memory....2007, iPhone...

I certainly wasn't. "Here's an insanely expensive phone with outdated hardware which isn't going to be available until six months from now. You will not be able to install anything on it. And oh, if you're not from the US, you can't have one."

Not a single word about Macs at Macworld either, something Steve specifically mentioned what Macworld was about the year before.

The iPhone didn't get great until the iPhone 3G and the AppStore launch.
  • Reply 115 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I certainly wasn't. "Here's an insanely expensive phone with outdated hardware which isn't going to be available until six months from now. You will not be able to install anything on it. And oh, if you're not from the US, you can't have one."

Not a single word about Macs at Macworld either, something Steve specifically mentioned what Macworld was about the year before.

The iPhone didn't get great until the iPhone 3G and the AppStore launch.

which of course was why it failed so miserably right from the start, right?
  • Reply 116 of 152
    Apple can do announcements, like the last one on October 17, 2008 at their headquarters. Hopefully, Steve's pancreatic cancer is not back\
  • Reply 117 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dshel View Post

Apple is totally oblivious to what things like this do to their shareholders. We are down another 4-5% after hours. The hedgefunds are shorting anyway to protect their December Option Positions. Apple management makes that hatchet job easy.

I emailed Apple Investor Relations to ask if Steve would at least be present at the Event? I urge everyone to do the same. I'm tired of being screwed by this totally unaware management. Let them know you are too!

A big reason (I think) our economy is in the crapper is because of day-traders and their desperate need for instant gratification. Too many CEOs have sacrificed their companies' futures pandering to people like you.

So I say to you with all due respect: shove it. What ever happened to buying stock and holding it for 20, 30, 40 years?
  • Reply 118 of 152
    1) Steve's sick and can't do it. Argument: His personality seems to feed on the keynotes and I don't think he'd willingly skip one if he didn't have to.

2) the company is making a wise move to deemphasize jobs' importance to the company. Argument: the stock is vulnerable until the company does so. Supporting arguments: By not having jobs give the keynote the company also heightens the profiles of other team members.

3) despite many posts here to the effect that apple's doing fine despite the economic climate, there were several news reports/analysts reports today suggesting its sales were falling especially relative to competitors. I think the company will announce a netbook or some enhanced iPhone/iPodTouch/Tablet alternative, at MWSF.

4) Having organized trade shows for many years, i think there's enough cult-of-mac interest to support a couple of meetings a year (west coast, east coast) providing fans with exposure to hundreds of mac-related products and to educational sessions akin to the "university" at expos. We may have seen the last macworld expo; i don't think we've seen the last mac-based event (not including apple "special media events")

5) lastly, i'd remind people that one year COMDEX attracted 200,000 computer industry related people to Las Vegas, and four years later that meeting was extinct. Amazing, but true.
  • Reply 119 of 152
    This day is beginning of the end of Apple fanboism.

It's sad, now Apple will tone down its Think Different and baa like the rest. Wether we like it or not, Steve had always been the spirit of Apple and that spirit is winding down.

Wow this is the Mac's 25th Anniversary! We laughed we cried, it was a fun ride...
  • Reply 120 of 152
    This isn't the end, it's just a new direction. Apple is simply doing things differently, and being true to its slogan, "Think Different".