Apple says 2009 Macworld Expo will be its last

Comments

• Reply 121 of 152
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

The things I will miss about MacWorld Expo is the anticipation of what might be.

This will still happen each time Apple announces an Apple Event - there will be a week of speculation, guessing at what the invite could mean etc. It just won't be as full-on.
  • Reply 122 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

not at all. Apple has a point that trade shows are basically burning money. why not stop and use that for R&D on making their products better and cheaper. especially cheaper.

I personally would much rather see them knock $50 off the Macbook line than appear at another tradeshow.

and you do realize that Apple will just pocket the savings and still charge you the extra $50...
  • Reply 123 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

MacWorld has always been a hugely expensive undertaking and as far as I'm concerned a waste of money. Of course, I will miss Steve Jobs doing his annual stage show but this is just a sign of the times. Look how many vendors pulled out due to the bad economy.

Conventions like these will someday be gone. It was fun while it lasted. I live in San Francisco and while it was always interesting to see the hordes of Apple fans walking around with their MW badges around their necks, I certainly won't miss the traffic headaches that came with it.

I'm sure the hotel industry will be missing the lost revenue.

Farewell MW! You'll be missed but not forgotten!

Macworld is about more than just money. Even in the worst of times, for a few days the tech industry was centered around Apple. You also Apple, the developers, and the accessory makers in the same place for a couple days. This is like loosing both Christmas and the State of the Union Address at the same time. The impact is far more than whether or not the conference makes financial sense. This changes the way the Mac users have been used to operating for the last quarter century and brings us into uncharted waters.
  • Reply 124 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Stop Trading!

Remove panties from bunched area.

Read it for what it is. Phil is opening the keynote. Says NOT ONE DAMN THING that Job's will NOT be there. Phil opens, new MacMini. Johnathan comes up, New NetBook. Steve comes out or comes up on the big screen and Blamo'. Or maybe he phones it in. Maybe he stays back at home or maybe....

And you know I have seen this for the last 2 years. Steve has been giving more and more credit to those who are working behind the scenes. He's been sharing the spotlight. Basically telling the world that Apple is Not Me and I am not Apple. He's the CEO and a pretty damn good one but he's NOT the company. You think he's making every decision over there? No way. He may be making final say on certain things but the company works together as a machine.

Hey, he's getting older and his family is getting larger. Maybe he just wants some personal time. Share the spotlight, let others have a voice outside the company. So let's see how this last one goes. Brick/Mortar venue's for a high-tech company on the verge of everything seems kinda dated anyways. Next year they'll probably do a live webcast from in-house. It would be more personal and practical.

Steve, if your reading these. Relax, have a drink and go do what you want to do. And by the way Thanks for the last 30 years of timeless innovation. Your making the world a better place because of the company and people you inspire everyday. Big thanks to Woz too!

good post!
  • Reply 125 of 152
    It's sad, but it's been going in this direction for sometime now. I remember the days when they keynotes were live and you heard about the new products straight from Jobs month. Now because of the internet being what it is you know every product that's going to be announced, and by the time the keynote gets posted you know everything that happened, there's no more surprise. So, what's the point? It will never be as good as it was back in the "Live" days, so fair well Mr. Jobs. We'll read about new products on sites like this one and refresh apple.com until we can read the official word.

Now, please, for the love of God fix those glass displays!!!
  • Reply 126 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mklos View Post

This is only good for Apple. Now they're not forced to come up with something every January. They can focus on getting its products out when they're ready instead of when the next big event comes up. Lately, Apple has been doing this more and more. They can hold a media even at the Apple Campus whenever they're ready to release a major product.

On the other hand, they also loose the anticipation and sense of community that comes with Macworld. This could have the negative effect of striping away some of the aura with Apple not being the center of attention for four days. Good or bad, and even in the worst of times, Apple gets a lot more press at Macworld than HP or Dell so at CES. It would be to Apple's detriment to be seen like the rest of the tech companies.
  • Reply 127 of 152
    Seems like a fairly well thought out plan to me. What's the dilemma that the bloggers discuss every time that Steve's health comes up in conversation or even when an event such as MacWorld or WWDC comes up: who will be Steve Jobs successor?

Well, here's the easy answer: No one can follow Steve Jobs in terms of presentation prowess, delivery, and animation, so no one should. Apple can choose to de-emphasize the presentations that Jobs made famous and then quietly let the CEO transition take place in order to minimize "Stock Shock" on the news of Jobs retiring (which I still don't think will be for a couple of years.

So replace the CEo, but don't put someone out there in the same presentation-heavy roles where comparisons will surely force the stock down and potentially throw a bucket of icy water on the press' love affair with Steve Jobs.

Just my two cents. . . .
  • Reply 128 of 152
    Yeah!!! I prefer the MacWorld event cause that is the only time when will see BIG CROWDS, BIG CHEERS and S.Jobs doing his excellent speech. I never liked the small Apple events. Its BORING!!!
  • Reply 129 of 152
    Phil Schiller? Honestly?

This is unnerving. Why not Jonathan Ive. He's cultured! British! Healthy! Not at risk for heart disease!

WTF

About pulling out of MacWorld..... well, I suppose it's time. Many things are changing. This is sad.....
  • Reply 130 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

They have gone from a company that listens to their customers closely in person to a company slowly ignoring their customer base and unfortunately declining in quality.

They were my favorite company, but that is slowly changing.

I'm right there with you. I've been a diehard Mac user from the beginning. I hate to say it but I feel like some screws are loose at Apple. I can only hope that things don't go down the crapper.
  • Reply 131 of 152
    If I where a vendor of a small to medium size company showing my product at MacWorld in January, I would be asking for my money back. Apple, your timing and delivery was very poor. It reminded me of how Microsoft would handle it. Wait until there is just a few days before the show and make an announcement like this. You are insensitive. Have you forgotten what MacWorld means to the people that have supported you all these years. And don't give me the money thing, you have plenty. Maybe you have to much now. You have forgotten the Mac evangelist that get charged up at this show that are the ones that really sell your product. None of this happens at the Apple Store. It is not all about exposer. It's about a sense of belonging. In case you have forgotten, these are the people that have been carrying your flag all these years. Your special events just don't do it. They are for the Press and not for the users like MacWorld is. If you've got nothing to show this year, just say so. To me this kind of action means the death of the Apple Computer Company that I loved. We have a new type of company that doesn't need the old type of loyal customer any more. What should have happened Apple is that the keynote should have gone on a usual. Steve Jobs does his thing and at the end he announces that this was the last MacWorld for Apple and explains why and walks off the stage. The way you have handled this Apple has really struck a nerve with me. The lack of class is astounding. I can't explain it but I feel just a little bit different about the box I am typing this reply on.
  • Reply 132 of 152
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

No more temporary insanity at AI!

I'll miss the countdowns. All we'll be able to do will be the ADC, which I hope Apple will continue, as it's something they need.
  • Reply 133 of 152
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Apple is selling more computers than it ever has.

Apple continues to excel with the iPod / iTunes product line.

There is no "demand" to lower the prices. They only do when they want to increase their presence to a larger market. Apple wouldn't be Apple if the price wasn't different, as well. The extra cash they make allows them to do what they do.

Honestly, if you were in their shoes, how would you look at it? If you had a business with products in high demand, would you say "okay, we're lowering our prices to be nice". That's not a good reason.

There is no "demand" for high prices either. You are implying that high prices alone makes a company's products more prestigious. If that's the case, then any company can simply quadruple their prices to make their products look better.

Mac users respond to complaints about Apple's high prices by pointing out that certain Mac configurations are price competitive and sometimes actually cheaper than a Dell product. When this happens, Mac users gloat about Apple costing less. But when a Mac does cost significantly more in another product category, the Apple defenders respond by claiming that Apple is super high end, ultra premium product that is not meant for poor slobs. So cut the hypocrisy and stop trying to have it both ways. Either you want Macs to always cost more than every PC, or you don't.
  • Reply 134 of 152
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

That doesn't make sense though. Apple's taking a stance that will save them millions over the years if not in a single year. Only abject idiocy could make and investor fail to see the forest through the trees here.

Apple is run by more people than Steve Jobs.. The difference between Apple today and Apple before Job's Return is that they have a clarity of vision.

Apple has to realize that Expos are not the ideal way to reach customers. Retail stores in conjection with special press events are a much more effective way of spending company resources and reaching out to consumers.

I don't think they'e doing it for the money.

It might cost them a million, or even two million. So what? That's penuts!

This is advertizing. They get much more back from the coverage than they could ever spend. That's why they do events to introduce new products.

Having so many sites, including now, PC sites, business sites, and sites from other industries such as those that cover entertainment, telephony, and others makes these shows worthwhile from a business standpoint.

I can understand Adobe not attending, it's not their shows. but they send me numerous postcards and letters to attend their own expo's, learning centers all through the year. What does that cost them? They do it because it's got their name on it, just like MACworld does for Apple.

Obviously they have some reason, but it sure isn't to save a pittance.

It might have more to do with not having to release products on a schedule. I've been saying for years that I'd like Apple to release products when they're ready, not when a show comes up. Perhaps that's now their thinking ad well.

Having said that, as this will be the last show for them, and we've been waiting, I would like to see them introduce products.
  • Reply 135 of 152
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Macworld is about more than just money. Even in the worst of times, for a few days the tech industry was centered around Apple. You also Apple, the developers, and the accessory makers in the same place for a couple days. This is like loosing both Christmas and the State of the Union Address at the same time. The impact is far more than whether or not the conference makes financial sense. This changes the way the Mac users have been used to operating for the last quarter century and brings us into uncharted waters.

This is my thinking too. To me Macworld was as much about the small vendors as it was about Apple. I mean the people at the fringes of the show room with the table booths. The ones who could not make enough product to go in any retail store but still made that one great product that solves that one problem I have. I want MacWorld to continue so that I can still see and meet these people.
  • Reply 136 of 152
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Pretty baffling move. The importance of trade shows may be diminishing, but I think Macworld SF is an exception.The last two years were very successful and gave Apple a huge amount of publicity. And since the event is so close to their HQ, it's not a big burden for them to attend. And for Jobs to skip out on Apple's last Macworld appearance ever is pretty weak.

Macworld was the exception and it was actually growing in numbers of people showing up!!

This is plain stupid.

Business as mediocrity.

PR as sound bites and boutiquery.

This is the end of Silicon Valley as culturally the center of computerdom. Apple kept the candle going, but the industry is now so global and commodified that it has gone the way of most industries. I'm not a romantic, but Macworld was NOT that expensive.

Business just can't seem to keep from destroying the cultures that arise from creative minds.

No nostalgia here, just disappointment.
  • Reply 137 of 152
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

...and in other news, Santa cancels Christmas.

Ah TednDi thanks for that... gebus we take apple too seriously. Actually just received my new mac pro.. Funny opening it reminded me of christmas.
  • Reply 138 of 152
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Very poor planning on Apples part ? unless Steve is not feeling well?

Having Steve do it should be a no brainer. Apple could have easily drop out in April or when ever, and NOT now! Just plain Piss Poor planning on their part.

The stock WILL tank today, and IT WILL go down even more as rumors start about Steve's health!

Hold on to your boot straps folks!!!

Now I could be crying wolf, IF Steve ends up doing another "on the spot" type of announcement on what's new and exciting.

Oh, and Apple WILL have to announce this happening soon!

Skip
  • Reply 139 of 152
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Look on the brightside, at least there's still WWDC!

In a way it is sad. This is the last MWSF with Apple, where since Job's return the PowerMac G3 (Blue & White), Coloured iMacs, iMac (tilt screen), Titanium Powerbook G4, Mac OS X Aqua, iTunes and the first iPhone were unveiled. This event goes out over the world and all the major networks. When iPhone was announced it was on the BBC News. The ?free? publicity is surely valuable for Apple.

I would have preferred Bertrand Serlet and the team to talk about Snow Leopard and software for 2 hours rather than Phil Schiller, but I guess that wouldn't interest everyone. We'd probably all learn something interesting though.

Watch Steve and the rest of Apple pull out of WWDC too.
  • Reply 140 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't think they'e doing it for the money.

It might cost them a million, or even two million. So what? That's penuts!

This is advertizing. They get much more back from the coverage than they could ever spend. That's why they do events to introduce new products.

Having so many sites, including now, PC sites, business sites, and sites from other industries such as those that cover entertainment, telephony, and others makes these shows worthwhile from a business standpoint.

I can understand Adobe not attending, it's not their shows. but they send me numerous postcards and letters to attend their own expo's, learning centers all through the year. What does that cost them? They do it because it's got their name on it, just like MACworld does for Apple.

Obviously they have some reason, but it sure isn't to save a pittance.

It might have more to do with not having to release products on a schedule. I've been saying for years that I'd like Apple to release products when they're ready, not when a show comes up. Perhaps that's now their thinking ad well.

Having said that, as this will be the last show for them, and we've been waiting, I would like to see them introduce products.

I have to agree and would add without Macworld all the industry attention is going squarely over to CES. For four days the entire tech industry huddled around the Mac. Not having that can't be good for Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Watch Steve and the rest of Apple pull out of WWDC too.

That would be very unwise. With no real conferences to chat with apple and other developers, you could see the third party Mac market shrinking in a hurry.