Apple says 2009 Macworld Expo will be its last

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 152
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mklos View Post

This is only good for Apple. Now they're not forced to come up with something every January. They can focus on getting its products out when they're ready instead of when the next big event comes up. Lately, Apple has been doing this more and more. They can hold a media even at the Apple Campus whenever they're ready to release a major product.

On one hand, it's often good for a company to have artificially imposed deadlines. Face it, people procrastinate and often need a immovable deadline to bust their asses to finish something (or maybe that's just me).

On the other hand, in addition to what you said, having a big event every January screwed up people's buying behavior. I would never buy a Mac at the end of the year if I could help it, because there was a good chance you would have buyer's remorse when you see the "one more thing" in January--even if the product being announced wasn't going to ship for a couple more months. Now Apple can roll out new stuff whenever they want and not rush things or delay things to fit the MW cycle. Consumers will have less reason to second-guess their buying habits.
  • Reply 142 of 152
    I wonder if they will finally admit Steve is dead.
  • Reply 143 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Watch Steve and the rest of Apple pull out of WWDC too.

The WWDC is totally an Apple created event. The Macworld event is not. Perhaps the way that Macworld treats Apple, maybe its time to "change the venue" as another has said.

By the way, has anybody noticed the significant reduction in blogging on the Macworld site. Wouldn't surprise me to see that mag go down the tube soon as has PC Magazine.

I, like a number of others, will miss Jobs. Nobody has done so much, and been so terribly chastised.

I would suggest that Apple won't stop being innovative, but the messenger has become tired of being shot at. As such, Apple, for the past while has hosted its own party and selectively invited only those who would appreciate and respect the honour. Not like most of the dissenters here, who turn out don't own the product, haven't tried the product or haven't even seen the product.

I am a member of the ADC and was lucky to be accepted to an iPhone Developer Tech Talk. Man it was a joy to be in the company of nearly 300 other developers and the crew from Apple.

What was interesting was that nobody complained about MobileMe. Everybody was using it throughout the day. Even the 50 or so who had the new glossy screen MacBooks, or the rest of us who realized that reflection was only an issue when you weren't directly in front of the screen and were trying to read over somebody's shoulder or from the side.

At the end of the day, we all would have been there the next morning if we were asked; and with new MacBooks if we could.
  • Reply 144 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't think they'e doing it for the money.

It might cost them a million, or even two million. So what? That's penuts!

This is advertizing. They get much more back from the coverage than they could ever spend. That's why they do events to introduce new products.

I couldn't agree more. Aren't they sitting on 25 billion in cash? IDG puts on the event, all Apple pays for is exhibition space, AFAIK.

People forget that Apple have far greater impact, and 'mind share', in the technology and electronics industry than one would expect when you look at their market share. The buzz generate by an SJ keynote is one reason why.

Few people can introduce a product and generate that kind of excitement.
  • Reply 145 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Apple is reaching more people in more ways than ever before, so like many companies, trade shows have become a very minor part of how Apple reaches its customers," the company said.

This move makes bottom-line business sense. As a newspaper editor for several years (mostly for the business pages), though, I would have reminded Apple's execs that they could not buy the kind of world-wide advertising -- through either raw brand exposure or positive coverage -- that they routinely got for *free* through a MacWorld Expo keynote. I'm not sure that their own events can match the focus or sense of festive happening Expo offered. To me, it seemed a worthwhile corporate expense.
  • Reply 146 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Stop Trading!

Remove panties from bunched area.

Read it for what it is. Phil is opening the keynote. Says NOT ONE DAMN THING that Job's will NOT be there. Phil opens, new MacMini. Johnathan comes up, New NetBook. Steve comes out or comes up on the big screen and Blamo'. Or maybe he phones it in. Maybe he stays back at home or maybe....

And you know I have seen this for the last 2 years. Steve has been giving more and more credit to those who are working behind the scenes. He's been sharing the spotlight. Basically telling the world that Apple is Not Me and I am not Apple. He's the CEO and a pretty damn good one but he's NOT the company. You think he's making every decision over there? No way. He may be making final say on certain things but the company works together as a machine.

Hey, he's getting older and his family is getting larger. Maybe he just wants some personal time. Share the spotlight, let others have a voice outside the company. So let's see how this last one goes. Brick/Mortar venue's for a high-tech company on the verge of everything seems kinda dated anyways. Next year they'll probably do a live webcast from in-house. It would be more personal and practical.

Steve, if your reading these. Relax, have a drink and go do what you want to do. And by the way Thanks for the last 30 years of timeless innovation. Your making the world a better place because of the company and people you inspire everyday. Big thanks to Woz too!

Amen. Says what I was thinking.

Jimzip
  • Reply 147 of 152
    Steve's visiting his home planet so he can come back and take over the world!

Repent!
  • Reply 148 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Stop Trading!

Remove panties from bunched area.

Read it for what it is. Phil is opening the keynote. Says NOT ONE DAMN THING that Job's will NOT be there. Phil opens, new MacMini. Johnathan comes up, New NetBook. Steve comes out or comes up on the big screen and Blamo'. Or maybe he phones it in. Maybe he stays back at home or maybe....

And you know I have seen this for the last 2 years. Steve has been giving more and more credit to those who are working behind the scenes. He's been sharing the spotlight. Basically telling the world that Apple is Not Me and I am not Apple. He's the CEO and a pretty damn good one but he's NOT the company. You think he's making every decision over there? No way. He may be making final say on certain things but the company works together as a machine.

Hey, he's getting older and his family is getting larger. Maybe he just wants some personal time. Share the spotlight, let others have a voice outside the company. So let's see how this last one goes. Brick/Mortar venue's for a high-tech company on the verge of everything seems kinda dated anyways. Next year they'll probably do a live webcast from in-house. It would be more personal and practical.

Steve, if your reading these. Relax, have a drink and go do what you want to do. And by the way Thanks for the last 30 years of timeless innovation. Your making the world a better place because of the company and people you inspire everyday. Big thanks to Woz too!

I would like to sign your card as well.
  • Reply 149 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quite the opposite. It could also mean that there are some really exciting new products or revamps that will be announced and that such a move is, in fact, what will be needed to blunt the impact of SJ's absence, as well as to ease Phil's (solo) debut.

I think that we have not yet seen the promised 'low-margin' product that will be the 'game-changer,' and this could be where we see it. (I have no clue what it could be; one guess is, a $99 iPhone Nano, sold at Wal-mart).

The 'Low-Margin'-'Game-changing' product was the new Macbooks. The new Aluminum cases are slightly more expensive now, but in the future that will change once the start-up costs have been recouped. That will also make it cheaper and easier to come up with new designs in Cupertino and then email the files to the FAB-plants and start crankin' em out enmasse.
  • Reply 150 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

A big reason (I think) our economy is in the crapper is because of day-traders and their desperate need for instant gratification. Too many CEOs have sacrificed their companies' futures pandering to people like you.

So I say to you with all due respect: shove it. What ever happened to buying stock and holding it for 20, 30, 40 years?

Thank you. It is about time that someone with some sense is saying something. I think one the things that has been happening is the opposite of pump-and-dump. Crap all over Apple, short it hard, weed out the idiots, and make a killing when the stocks inevitably rise again.
  • Reply 151 of 152
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotmarkb View Post

I wonder if they will finally admit Steve is dead.

They are keeping the iHologram under wraps.
  • Reply 152 of 152
    This is too bad!

hehehehehe