Apple wanted out of tyranny of MacWorld - reports

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Ford has asked to be part of the bailout package. Chrysler is a private company and is not a publicly listed company.

"(Ford) CEO (Alan Mulally) says bailout would allow Ford to "be part of this economic recovery" http://alan%20mulally/

The link is broken.

The problem is that the situation seems to change daily. At the start, they wanted in, but later I think they backed out, that might have changed yet again.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Its the beginning of the end.

What a freakingly nightmarish and utter and absolutely devastating turn of events.

Jeez... lighten up a bit. As much as I like Jobs, Apple needs to get beyond the cult of personality if its going to realize its potential.

I'm personally buyin', not cryin'.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I always wondered why Apple would make their biggest new product announcements *right after* the biggest shopping season of the year. There is no upside at all and it guarantees ill will and disappointment from customers who just bought the product whose replacement was announced at MWSF.

This is exactly the reason.

I work for a company that makes music stuff, and each year we lament the fact that the idiots who organize the NAMM show in Anaheim do so in January.

So we have a choice: Release products in time for Christmas and have NOTHING to show off at the convention, or make no money at Xmas and look like Rock Stars with shiny new toys.

Considering that AAPL is hit badly if they do not throw out a new product every Jan, kudos to them and wall street can go f--k itself.

Imagine how much more money AAPL will make this coming year if they can release in time for XMAS and are able to blow off MacWorld.

Now imagine how nice it will be to watch the stock not become such a roller coaster around the holidays.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    What I find interesting is that after MWSF and WWDC, the world would talk about Apple's new products.

I saw none of that excitement in Apple's small press conferences for products such as the iPod Hi-Fi and the new iPods.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    Macworld not MacWorld
  • Reply 26 of 65
    People need to read the current articles at Macworld.com. They said the reason they dropped out of East coast shows is because they had nothing significant to annouce. The last NY Macworld, Apple only had .Mac and iCal to announce. Why bother? They obviously have nothing significant to announce so it is better to avoid negative press over a bad keynote with nothing new.

They also said Apple's presence at Macworld completely overshadows and dominates the Expo, to the point that the other vendors lose out on showing their products. They said Apple's booth is nothing more than a big Apple Store. Again, what's the point?

Apple doesn't need trade shows anymore. They do better announcing products on their own timeline, doing their own keynotes, which is FAR cheaper than Macworld. That was the other main point. They said it is excessively expensive to do the keynote, host a booth, and take employees away from their current projects to watch the booth. They said this applies to any vendor wanting to go to Macworld, which probably explains why Adobe and Belkin dropped out. They need to spend their money elsewhere. Also, the problem with Macworld was that the new products were rarely available. Jobs always said, we hope to have this product shipping by March (but we were forced to announce it now in January because of Macworld).

Since the rumor is only an updated Mac Mini (a complete waste), then Jobs did the right thing. People would have complained and said the keynote sucked because there was nothing new. Better not to do it at all.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

What I find interesting is that after MWSF and WWDC, the world would talk about Apple's new products.

I saw none of that excitement in Apple's small press conferences for products such as the iPod Hi-Fi and the new iPods.

I guess you didn't pay attention to Apple's new MacBook and MacBook Pro announcement? Millions of people use Apple products and Macs. Those same millions don't go to trade shows or rely on trade shows for obtaining information.

There is no point to watching a keynote speech anymore because this site will spoil the new product release days before the keynote. Took all the fun out of it. Apple leaving the Macworld Expo will allow the other Mac developers to get recognized. However, trade shows are a dying breed. I went to the LA car show last year and it sucked big time.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The link is broken.

The problem is that the situation seems to change daily. At the start, they wanted in, but later I think they backed out, that might have changed yet again.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/18/mul...maker.bailout/

They are hedging their bets:

"Ford has said it has enough cash on hand to survive the current economic downturn but requested a line of credit to hedge against further deterioration and the potential collapse of its supply base should either GM or Chrysler fail." http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp..._4Nv6tWFE2o0bg

Ford Bailout Money Unnecessary, Company Says http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_149824.html

And from the Huffington Post dated DECEMBER 17, 2008, "?Ford wants to set up a $9 billion long-term line of credit from the government but would use it only if the U.S. auto market worsens or fails to recover. The company has said it has enough borrowed money to make it through 2009 without government help."
  • Reply 29 of 65
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Private companies don't make as much money.

Bechtel and Koch Industries, among others, might differ with your assertion.

Anyway, I was talking about a leveraged buyout. Often with LBOs the ongoing

operation of the company is not as important as "releasing value". This is

investor speak for selling the parts for more than you paid for the whole. Also

some LBO's are done when stock prices are generally depressed (like they are

now) with the idea of going back public when stock prices are generally high

(like they may be in a couple of years).
  • Reply 30 of 65
    Is it so hard to imagine that Apple fell out with expo group IDG?

IDG wanting to charge Apple to appear at MacWorld is like asking Bette Midler to pay for her stage time in Vegas.

Apple has enough cash to put on large and small events, wherever and whenever it chooses. IDG needs Apple, but Apple does not need IDG.

C.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    Quote:

Misleading. Right now the whole market is down; even the car (foreign) manufacturers, unless you are getting a bail out like Ford and GM whose stock is up right now. (12/17/08:11:59 AM)

Quote:

Ford isn't looking for a bailout. GM and Chrysler are.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The link is broken.

Quote:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/18/mul...maker.bailout/

They are hedging their bets:

"Ford has said it has enough cash on hand to survive the current economic downturn but requested a line of credit to hedge against further deterioration and the potential collapse of its supply base should either GM or Chrysler fail." http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp..._4Nv6tWFE2o0bg

Ford Bailout Money Unnecessary, Company Says http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_149824.html

And from the Huffington Post dated DECEMBER 17, 2008, "…Ford wants to set up a $9 billion long-term line of credit from the government but would use it only if the U.S. auto market worsens or fails to recover. The company has said it has enough borrowed money to make it through 2009 without government help."

All three wanted the money but the senate said no rightfully so.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/11/aut...out/index.html

But our dipsh-t president says he will get them the money.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    Quote:

Private companies don't make as much money.

While you could certainly find examples where that is true, you can also find examples where it is false. Private(ly held) companies are under no obligation to publish how much they make, or how they spend what they make. The controlling interests could decide to pay out all the companies cash as payroll to themselves and create the illusion that the company is "not so profitable", when in reality, it is a hugely profitable company. (A grossly exaggerated example, to make a point.)
  • Reply 33 of 65
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

People need to read the current articles at Macworld.com. They said the reason they dropped out of East coast shows is because they had nothing significant to annouce. The last NY Macworld, Apple only had .Mac and iCal to announce. Why bother? They obviously have nothing significant to announce so it is better to avoid negative press over a bad keynote with nothing new.

Most keynotes of most conventions are uneventful anyway. It looks like Apple is the only one that is pressured to announce something big and new.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

This is exactly the reason.

I work for a company that makes music stuff, and each year we lament the fact that the idiots who organize the NAMM show in Anaheim do so in January.

So we have a choice: Release products in time for Christmas and have NOTHING to show off at the convention, or make no money at Xmas and look like Rock Stars with shiny new toys.

I think the convention & expo system needs to be revamped. They are usually overly expensive and are pretty demanding. The pricing & regulations imposed by the halls are pretty unrealistic too, there are a lot of things you can't do yourself because they make you use the workers they provide to do the same thing.

Quote:

Now imagine how nice it will be to watch the stock not become such a roller coaster around the holidays.

The stock is always a roller coaster.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

While you could certainly find examples where that is true, you can also find examples where it is false. Private(ly held) companies are under no obligation to publish how much they make, or how they spend what they make. The controlling interests could decide to pay out all the companies cash as payroll to themselves and create the illusion that the company is "not so profitable", when in reality, it is a hugely profitable company. (A grossly exaggerated example, to make a point.)

I didn't understand that either. Publicly held companies have a lot of expensive regulatory hassles, I think the biggest of which is SOX, and you avoid all that. Stockholder expectations can get unrealistic too.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    Didn't you guys hear that Steve's just going back to his home planet so he can come back and enslave us all?
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Sj, sj, sj
  • Reply 36 of 65
    Very good that Apple has stepped out and away from this trade show.

Now, they needn't announce on anyone's schedule except their own. No more announcing a product, due on said day, and it not arriving, causing all sorts of speculation.

They're in control, good for Apple!

The way it should be. I'm grateful for Macworld and their help over the years. We'll just be getting our news in different ways, we'll be thinking about it differently....

Pete
  • Reply 37 of 65
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Jeez... lighten up a bit. As much as I like Jobs, Apple needs to get beyond the cult of personality if its going to realize its potential.

I'm personally buyin', not cryin'.

Exactly - the world turns, day turns to night and Apple has hit the mainstream. I don't think this has anything to do with the 'tyranny' of MW but much more to do with Apple growing up. As long as Apple stays cool and cutting edge all will be well.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    Quote:

Misleading. Right now the whole market is down; even the car (foreign) manufacturers, unless you are getting a bail out like Ford and GM whose stock is up right now. (12/17/08:11:59 AM)

Last I heard, GM and Chrysler were begging for a bailout, not Ford.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    Quote:

While true that the overall market is down, thanks to yesterday's Fed move, Apple is down even more precipitously. Why in the world they couldn't wait until AFTER Macworld to make the announcement that it's their last show... I'd love to throttle Apple's PR department.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

My guess is Jobs doesn't want to be involved in a shuck-and-jive presentation, which it will be without new products. This suggests Apple has outstanding commitments with component suppliers or is overstocked with components, because existing models are not selling well enough. Those commitments and supplies must be depleted before moving on to new models.

It's tough to put together an entire keynote on the mini display port.