Wal-Mart stores already advertising iPhone 3G availability

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Adding a bit more confirmation to what is widely presumed, a few Wal-Malt stores have jumped the gun and are starting to advertise availability of Apple's iPhone 3G ahead of an official roll-out planned for later this month.

Over the past week, readers have noticed both window decals and cardboard display jackets (pictured below) showcasing an iPhone 3G alongside text that simply reads: "iPhone 3G. Now available at Wal-Mart."

As previously reported and further confirmed by one of the discount chain's internal memos this week, the vast majority of Wal-Mart stores will begin selling the Apple handset beginning at 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, December 28th.

Although rumors had suggested the possibility that the retailer had obtained an exclusive deal to market a special-run 4GB iPhone 3G for $99, those reports now appear to be inaccurate. Wal-Mart will instead carry Apple's existing 8GB and 16GB models, which will sell for $197 and $297 respectively with a two-year AT&T contract.

In preparation of this month's roll-out, 488 Wal-Mart stores were selected this week to participate in a pilot program to ensure all of the retailer's systems are functioning properly for the official launch.

As part of the program, each of the stores were instructed to complete the sale of five iPhone 3Gs to their associates for the aforementioned prices. The associates are entitled to a 15% discount on their AT&T wireless bill, however.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I would have thought being available before Christmas would have been handier. Better late than never I suppose. Now where's my damn eBay iPhone!?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    I am not sure what to think of this move. Does Apple expect to sell more iPhones now that they are available through channels known for their low prices even though there is no price advantage? Like selling to people who have threshold fear to enter an Apple or an AT&T store? I guess this is as much about Apple trying to establish OSX as *the* platform for cell phones as anything else, but one might wonder what is next...
  • Reply 3 of 43
    There goes my Apple stock. Talk about cheapening a brand- killing the mystique of a premium brand name.

Apple has officially gone Wal-Mart.

Its a sad day.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

I am not sure what to think of this move. Does Apple expect to sell more iPhones now that they are available through channels known for their low prices even though there is no price advantage? Like selling to people who have threshold fear to enter an Apple or an AT&T store? I guess this is as much about Apple trying to establish OSX as *the* platform for cell phones as anything else, but one might wonder what is next...

You must live on one of the coasts, right?
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

There are tons of people who ONLY shop at Walmart. It's all they have. There's a reason Walmart has the power it exerts over suppliers: They sell TONS of stuff. It's a huge amount of exposure for the iPhone. Believe it or not, there are Americans who have no idea what the iPhone is.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

There goes my Apple stock. Talk about cheapening a brand- killing the mystique of a premium brand name.

Its a sad day.

Quit being a snob. Walmart dramatically increases the accessible market and more importantly the marketing for the iPhone. There are plenty of people that are several hours from an Apple store, and an hour from a Best Buy-- but have a Walmart within 30 minutes that they actually go to once or twice a week. Just because people shop at Walmart doesn't mean they are poor... especially in areas where Costco doesn't have a presence.

For the quarter, it also means that Apple is stuffing the channel with 100-250k additional iPhones that will show up as Q1 sales. I'd be surprised if the addition of Walmart doesn't add an additional 300k actual customer sales in the quarter as well.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:

Its a sad day.

Walmart has been selling iPods for years, along with many other "discount" chains. I don't see the issue...
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

It's surprising that so many people still don't know the basics about Walmart, its influence, and its saturation.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    A big whopping $2.00 off is what I've read somewhere.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:

Its a sad day.

Walmart has been selling the iPod line for years, and sells the AppleTV as well. There is a large Apple-only displaycase set up in the electronics center plan for all Walmarts.

In these economic times, you should be FAR more concerned that prospective Apple consumers will share your "premium brand" mentality. People are far less likely to purchase luxury in times of belt-tightening. If you can reach out and sell to the masses, so be it.

Walmart hits a VERY large cross-section of the market. To Apple/AT&T, these are new accounts to snag. If you'd rather that Apple products be restricted to individuals in a high socioeconomic bracket, you're not going to do well in our new socialized economy...

I use Apple products for their inherent quality, NOT because I want to look "elite". How about you?
  • Reply 11 of 43
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I too, choose not to shop at Wally World, but YES MILLIONS do ship there, and I would not be surprised if more then half of them NEVER heard of the iPhone, and or if they heard of it, NEVER knew how to purchase one.

YES - this will open up the market place for a hugh increase in iPhone sales.

YES it weakens the mystique of Apple products ? BUT

if the goal is to sell a ton of Apple products, as much as I hate it, and I'm sure do as well, Wal-mart is a great plan.

I STILL won't go in, but many others well.

Skip
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

A big whopping $2.00 off is what I've read somewhere.

Apple hasn't caved to Walmart pricing, fine with me. iPhone at Walmart is nothing but good news for the iPhone. Like someone said, they sell ipods already.

I think Apple gets away with playing both sides of the street here. My local Apple store is next to Luis Vuitton, Burberry, St John, and Nordstrom. Apple fits in as a high-end good. Admittedly, an iPod doesn't look as glamorous in Target, but I think the brand is strong enough to stand up to the challenge.

If anything was going to drag Apple down it would be the AT&T store! Take a look at this photo from the original iphone launch....
  • Reply 13 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Walmart style CLASSY advertising board!
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Irish guy got that one
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

There are tons of people who ONLY shop at Walmart. It's all they have. There's a reason Walmart has the power it exerts over suppliers: They sell TONS of stuff. It's a huge amount of exposure for the iPhone. Believe it or not, there are Americans who have no idea what the iPhone is.

The same 50% who voted for Bush?
  • Reply 16 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

If anything was going to drag Apple down it would be the AT&T store! Take a look at this photo from the original iphone launch....

Ouch... but you can have your laundry done at the same time - n-i-c-e!
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I would have thought being available before Christmas would have been handier. Better late than never I suppose. Now where's my damn eBay iPhone!?

Don't worry, the iPhone will be there for all those Walmart customer returning their dissatisfied Christmas gifts.

So Apple will hit them up on the back side...
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The same 50% who voted for Bush?

As opposed to the other 52% of Americans who voted for Obama because he has no core values, typical, and can't make up his mind so he has to have both an iPod and Zune!

Pay for Play - Chicago politics is a coming to Washington!

What did the president-elect know and when did the president-elect know it? Jeez Obama, most politicians wait until they are in office before having to deal with scandalous questionable dealings!

Oh, I take that back, Clinton's womanizing was well know before he got in with his Arkansas politics - affairs 'r us.

Have fun America!
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

As opposed to the other 52% of Americans who voted for Obama because he has no core values, typical, and can't make up his mind so he has to have both an iPod and Zune!

Pay for Play - Chicago politics is a coming to Washington!

What did the president-elect know and when did the president-elect know it? Jeez Obama, most politicians wait until they are in office before having to deal with scandalous questionable dealings!

Oh, I take that back, Clinton's womanizing was well know before he got in with his Arkansas politics - affairs 'r us.

Have fun America!

Actually it was 62%

Im sorry but, what country are you living in?
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:

Its a sad day.

Dude, they've been selling iPods for a while now.