Apple to showcase Snow Leopard at Macworld - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iturtle View Post

For the love of God people, Q1 is FALL for Apple. Right now is their Q1. Everyone at Apple knows this and always refers to their own quarters that way. Stop thinking Snow Leopard could be early by this slide reference alone because if anything this is saying it will be like Leopard was for a release date (mid/late Oct). You're just going to disappoint yourself....again

Ref: FY08 results, http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008...t_results.html

Slow down there, man. Yearly quarters can be seen from two perspectives:

1) annual, where Q1 is January thru March; and

2) financial, determined by the company

I doubt the slide that referenced Q1 was referring to the financial quarter.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    Rob Enderle? This Microsoft-Apologist who doesn't know jack about technology? Just google for his name...
  • Reply 23 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iturtle View Post

For the love of God people, Q1 is FALL for Apple. Right now is their Q1. Everyone at Apple knows this and always refers to their own quarters that way. Stop thinking Snow Leopard could be early by this slide reference alone because if anything this is saying it will be like Leopard was for a release date (mid/late Oct). You're just going to disappoint yourself....again

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Yes, Apple's fiscal Q1 is going on right now. But neither the slide nor we are talking about fiscal quarters regarding Snow Leopard. We're talking about Calendar quarters.

On top of that, the slide said 14+ months from the release of Leopard. The slide showed a 10/2007 Leopard drop date, which would place a 14+ month Snow Leopard drop date at Feb/Mar 2009.
  • Reply 24 of 90
    nizynizy Posts: 24member
    I don't think Apple will release Snow Leopard "early". If you remember, they showed off Leopard way before its launch too - that's all this will be, a public demo of some of its major features like Quicktime X, Exchange, Safari, Grand Central and Open CL (plus some others we don't know about yet). Maybe developers will get a new beta version too.
  • Reply 25 of 90
    I pray that Shiller will drop the bomb and announce that resolution independence will be included in 10.6 !

but then again.. Apple has been soooo quiet about it, it's not even funny anymore

Adi
  • Reply 26 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

It's also used on this little thing called the iPhone.

Quicktime is also used in iTunes, AppleTV, iPods and many cameras among other devices.
  • Reply 27 of 90
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adisor19 View Post

I pray that Shiller will drop the bomb and announce that resolution independence will be included in 10.6 !

but then again.. Apple has been soooo quiet about it, it's not even funny anymore

Adi

I've stopped caring about resolution independence. I've seen bupkiss evolution in the PPI of LCD panels.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    Believe it. It's a "security" issue. Steve Jobs and his gang have committed so many acts of perjury and fraud, that they need maximum security now in order to protect them from getting legally served with even more lawsuits.

Even when he does get served by courts, they somehow weasel him out of it and he is able to somehow not show up to court and get away with it.

On another note, I am flabergasted by the sheer number of computer illiterates still out there.

People, Apple is just a marketing company and that's all.

I am truly amazed that people buy these obsolete buggy iGarbage from apple...Hats off to their marketing department for conning and brainwashing so many idiots out there...But, I bought an HP iPaq for a couple of hundred dollars - it came with a phone, full featured GPS with voice directions, and oh yea a full Windows Mobile OS long before Crapple's iPhone ever existed.

And why would anyone pay over $3000 for a crippled, obsolete-out-of the box Apple Mac OS X computer? I bought an HP pavillion laptop, fully loaded, with DVD/Blue Ray, Super Hi-res wide screen, 2 Gig RAM, HD Tuner, built-in web cam etc. etc. etc. for under $1000

And Apple Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD, an open-source Unix look-alike, available FREE for the PC back in 1992, with a artsy-fartsy GUI. Whoopy Doo..

It is too expensive, too buggy, and the only software available is a bunch of dinky puzzles written by 14 year olds. No engineering or scientific applications available for "Mac OS X"...

Apple has a long history of fraud, racism and corruption...Steve Jobs and Nancy Heinen (and her shyster subordinates) are both knowing criminal participants in the stock options scam, and were caught trying to cover it up.

They were caught red-handed in early 2006 when a former employee who was cheated out of all of his stock after being wrongfully dismissed, filed a lawsuit against Apple Con-puter.

In short, dont waste your time and money on apple...

As for the news that he is dying: Good Riddance for all the misery Steve Jobs and his gang of uneducated delusional self-important iRetards at Apple brought us.

I mean ALL of them. Peter Graffagnino, Scott Forstall, their crooked HR department and their so-called "engineers" (highschool dropouts)

We will never forget what happened....

PS: If Apple was supposed to be "invulnerable" to viruses, why are there so many security fixes being passed around? Even with all of Apple's virus and spyware vulnerabilities...which i'Tard would target a virus against an con-puter "OS" used by 2% of people out there?
  • Reply 29 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Redmon-based rival is also working on its next-gen system software, dubbed Windows 7, which is similarly scheduled to drop mid-year.

Two questions:

1) Of which year?

2) Does anyone really believe that?
  • Reply 30 of 90
    Repost (this had been removed because it hit a nerve at apple!)

[CENTER]STEVE JOBS' KEYNOTE MESSAGE LEAKED! [/CENTER]

Steve Jobs' highly anticipated message for June 6, 2005 World White Developer conference has been leaked.

Important details of the message have been identified and summarized as follows:

HARDWARE ANNOUNCEMENTS

===================

- Apple Computer's Steve Jobs once again plans to delight audiences by announcing the Orange Light on its famed Powerbook/iBook computers will be replaced by a Flashing Green light! Steve jobs will proudly claim 36 months of Research and Development by Apple's White Engineers in an effort that included a close collaboration with the Heald College and ITT technical institutes' schools of Basket Weaving of which many of Apple's Engineers have dropped out from in order to work at Apple.

- Steve will then debut the new Power Macintosh which is a blazing 7mHz faster and features a Sky-Blue power light, unlike its predecessor, the slower Power Macintosh with the Yellow Light.

- Steve will then move on to new iPod announcements. Apple Computer's advanced Scientific Engineering Research labs, staffed by 20 of the world's most renowned high shool graduates, has recently discovered that the new Hitachi mini hard disk drives now have a 100 gigabyte capacity! In an unrelated announcement, a 100 gigabyte iPod will be announced as well as a high capacity Grapefruit iPod Photo! Apple anticipates that competing companies such as iRiver, and Creative Labs will soon declare bankrupcy as a result of Apple's innovations. "We're gonna sell a million of these", he will say.

- Steve will invite head Skinheads of Apple's Cute Plastic Box design group, Dan Riccio and Jonathon Ives, to show off their latest plastic box designs including one which will -- you guessed it - house the new iPod Glowie: A new iPod that is now available in 5 flavors!

Flourecent Orange, Red Ripe Watermelon, and Juicy Cantelope! Jonathan declares the Cute Plastic Box Design Group as a certified Ni*ger and Spy-Free Environment.

SOFTWARE ANNOUNCEMENTS

======================

- According to rehearsals, Steve will then roll up his sleaves and start digging into the

new Dashboard features of Apple's Mac OS X TIGER! Steve will explain Dashboard's features to the audience including TIGER's biggest surprises -- A Stock Ticker dashboard and a Weather Update Dashboard! Steve will explain that "Yes, programs already exist on Windows XP that do this stuff", and "Sure you can easily get the latest weather by typing in your ZIP code on Weather.com and get the latest Stock Quotes by typing in your Ticker symbol at MSN.COm, but hey I think we did it better therefore we invented it first."

- Steve follows up with Mac OS TIGER's demo to the audience by restarting a Mac 10 times and showing that Mac OS X now only crashes 1 in 5 times, and Mac OS X Tiger's applications now crash only 1 in 3 times while you still get the "The Application *** has crashed, but your OS is running perfectly fine." message, there by demonstrating the highly "reliable" software being developed at Apple's super secret engineering and scientific laboratories. The slow 5 minute startup time of Mac OS X will be blamed on the PowerPC. Steve will then surprise the audience by announcing the usage of INTEL CPU's in Macs which will magically fix all the bottlenecks in its poorly written and buggy software eventually.

-Mac OS X TIGER-related announcements will be wrapped up by Scott "Foreskin" Forstall and Peter Graffagnino who will once again go through "Cocoa" Application kit features which were acquired 8 years ago from Apple's purchase of NeXT Computer, and remind everyone how insanely great these features are, again. Scott and Peter also certify their respective groups at Apple as Certified Spy/Ethnic-free with full ethnic cleansing operations almost completed. Scott Forstall the Foreskin will conclude the announcements by declaring that "The Cocoa GUI looks so delicious you'll want to lick your LCD screen with your tongue!".

- Final Cut Pro will be put head to head against Microsoft's Windows Movie Maker. Steve will explain that Final Cut's slow performance and $1000 price tag against Windows Movie Maker's $0 Free, standard distribution and fast speed are simply the "price you pay for the Apple Advantage".

- Steve concedes to the audience the truth on Apple's "Innovative Slow Down" in the last few years and explain it as the result of the end of a complex agreement with Microsoft, signed in 1997 which expired 5 years later in 2002 where Apple agreed to stop filing bogus lawsuits against Microsoft in exchange of access to all of Microsoft's patent filings during that 5 year period.

Steve will then dismiss allegations of Apple's lack of progress in its product lines in the last 10 years being due to termination of non-white, ethnic and other qualified staff in favor of dropouts.

- Steve Jobs concludes the announcements with the launch of www.AppleCharity.com, a site where Apple's numerous enthusiasts can submit their credit card numbers and select from several Donation Plans which allow fans to pay directly for the sole cause of keeping Apple in business.

The plan works as follows:

- Tangerine Donation Plan $50 per month

- Orange Donation Plan $999, of which $400 will be used to buy Apple Stock

- Gold Donation $5000, which will be evenly distributed to Steve Jobs's Stock analyst and Investment Analyst friends.

- Later Steve Jobs gaurantees that no (White) Developers shall be layed off from Apple computer in the next two (2) years, in a separate staff meeting on the same day!
  • Reply 31 of 90
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Still, I can't see them having something even remotely presentable by then.

I have a copy of Snow Leopard from WWDC08... it runs fine although a lot of features were missing. They could very well have a feature complete version ready for MWSF09. All bugs and wrinkles may not be worked out, but should definitely be able to demo it. This is also why I'm sure Steve jobs is not presenting this time... he usually only ever demo's the bling and leaves the technical stuff to someone else to show off. Seeing how Snow Leopard will be all about rebuilding the foundation and not about surface enhancements, it's not wonder Phil will deliver the keynote.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    I see the Microsoft-sponsored trolls are out in full force nowadays.

DON'T QUOTE TROLLS IF YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THEM. IT'S EXTRA WORK FOR ME.
  • Reply 33 of 90

Umm, yeah. I think you need therapy.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boycott_Apple View Post

On another note, I am flabergasted by the sheer number of computer illiterates still out there...

(blather deleted)

Oh, for gopod's sake, are you now posting here as well? Go away.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Do you get out much, Mr. Bitterman? Sorry about your mental illness.
  • Reply 36 of 90
    Admin... Could you please remove this nutcase (Boycott_Apple)?
  • Reply 37 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Admin... Could you please remove this nutcase (Boycott_Apple)?

Hit the red exclamation point on those two posts and leave a message for the admins... get those two posts removed from this thread. And possibly 'BoycottApple' removed.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boycott_Apple View Post

- Final Cut Pro will be put head to head against Microsoft's Windows Movie Maker. Steve will explain that Final Cut's slow performance and $1000 price tag against Windows Movie Maker's $0 Free, standard distribution and fast speed are simply the "price you pay for the Apple Advantage".

On a second note... This is just priceless!

• Reply 39 of 90
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I have a copy of Snow Leopard from WWDC08... it runs fine although a lot of features were missing. They could very well have a feature complete version ready for MWSF09. All bugs and wrinkles may not be worked out, but should definitely be able to demo it. This is also why I'm sure Steve jobs is not presenting this time... he usually only ever demo's the bling and leaves the technical stuff to someone else to show off. Seeing how Snow Leopard will be all about rebuilding the foundation and not about surface enhancements, it's not wonder Phil will deliver the keynote.

It's hard to say how far Apple is along, I think they're probably craking along nicely. I don't really buy into the "Look at the delays with Leopard" approach for a few reasons.

1. Leopard was undoubtedly affected by concurrent development of the iPhone and to a lesser extent the Apple TV.

2. Apple was still fighting a Carbon vs Cocoa battle with the Adobe and Microsofts of the world.

3. Leopard had a boatload of new API hitting.

Fast forward to day and it's reasonable to assume that

1. The iPhone is still under rapid advancement but does not need the startup engineering resources ditto for the Apple TV.

2. Carbon 64 is dead and Apple is focused heavily on making access to frameworks that were formerly Carbon, Cocoa.

3. Snow Leopard is featuring large changes but OpenCL was developed by consortium, Exchange support comes from ActiveSync from MS and Grand Central may have had significant input from Intel.

I presume the demos will be basic.

Quicktime X- Will show glorious HD Disney content and speak on how easy it is to playback media without requiring your whole CPU.

OpenCL- It'll be a boring demo. They'll show some fractal or mandelbrot rendering that is dog slow on current Leopard but will become supercharged on SL

Grand Central- Will show 8 cores pegged and show some nifty multitasking (encoding a file while QTX plays a huge video while the Fractal/Mandlebrot thingy plays in the background.

Exchange Support- Will show how easy and fluid access Exchange server is.

What I'm more interested in knowing is how Apple plans to monetize Snow Leopard. They can't give it away for free but are they doing any favors by trying to charging full price?
  • Reply 40 of 90
    Post mysteriously deleted by user.